Target audience of James Bond?

edited March 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 1
My teacher's been nagging about the target audience to me for my thesis. I heard the primary audience is male, around the age of a young adult to mid-40s? Is there some sort of official or at least an academic paper regarding this? A more credible source, I mean. The Bond movies are rated PG-13 nowadays, and women find Bond films entertaining so I'm not really sure anymore.

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The target is everyone old enough to watch them, male or female, I would say! In my case I must have started watching them in my mother's arms.
  • ListenToMeListenToMe Banned
    The target demographic is males 18-35.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Your teacher is certifiable (please tell her I said that). Bond is for everyone!
    rvne wrote:
    My teacher's been nagging about the target audience to me for my thesis. I heard the primary audience is male, around the age of a young adult to mid-40s? Is there some sort of official or at least an academic paper regarding this? A more credible source, I mean. The Bond movies are rated PG-13 nowadays, and women find Bond films entertaining so I'm not really sure anymore.

The only person who I could imagine to give such a homework....
    @Darthdimi , is it you ? :P
  • If only my teacher would nag over such subjects :P
    Your teacher is certifiable (please tell her I said that). Bond is for everyone!

Indeed it is. :)

The audiences when I went to see Skyfall were just as much female as male, from kids to old age pensioners, but mostly from teenagers to 50-somethings.

I find the whole idea that Bond is mainly for men irritating as hell. I don't believe they are made for any specific group, really, because Bond has always been for whole families, kids have always been into it, women have always been into it. People who grew up with Bond don't just stop being interested when they grow up. So many have been fans when they were kids and continue to be fans decades later, just as interested to see the new movies. It also makes sense not to even try to make the films for a limited group - the more people there are who want to see them, the more money they make. Admittedly men seem to be the overwhelming majority on this site, for instance, but it seems to me women go watch the films just as much, though of course it might vary in different countries.

• I feel that the intended demographic has changed over the years. When I was a kid I remember reading somewhere that the Bond films were movies that were made for "12 to 16 year old boys" but that appealed to every man to some degree. Mind you, this was during the more fantastical entries in the series. I find now that everyone loves Bond films, more so than any other time in my life. I think that the Brosnan era first started the widening of the appeal and then the Craig are has expanded on that. I remember when Brosnan was Bond there were young, attractive girls that I worked with who were interested in Bond which was something I never thought that I'd see. I remember when I was younger it was only guys who liked the films (generally).

With Craig as Bond now I see that appeal spreading among a greater age range and deepening with women as well. Women I know will not just go see a Bond film but are actually excited for it to come out as soon as the next one is announced. Again, this is so great for a Bond fan to see - it reminds me of the seemingly impossible thing that happened when Star Trek The Next Generation came out and it was actually cool to like Star Trek! I never thought that I would see the day...
  • RC7RC7
    rvne wrote:
    Is there some sort of official or at least an academic paper regarding this? A more credible source, I mean.

Sony will have a comprehensive breakdown which will be used at an executive level when discussing B24. To keep the arse-covering suits happy, naturally. Good luck getting your hands on it though.

"warm blooded metrosexual males...not meant for schoolboys" ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Adolescents and arrested adolescents. B-)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Skyfail wrote:
    rvne wrote:

Nah, I never give such homework :P

• Your teacher is certifiable (please tell her I said that). Bond is for everyone!
    Exactly, well put. Bond is for everyone & this forum proves that
    :)
  • TOFANA007TOFANA007 Banned
    Targut audience now is broodygoth teens pouting in their beddroms

Sent from my Android 3G

Verizon- We build excitement.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    rvne wrote:

Nah, I never give such homework :P

Haha, sure :P

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    TOFANA007 wrote:
    Targut audience now is broodygoth teens pouting in their beddroms

Sent from my Android 3G

Verizon- We build excitement.

No. Just No.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,107
    Sir Roger Moore is the target audience.
    I saw my first Bond film when I was 5. I'm 30 and I still love em.

Like others have said, Bond is for everyone.
    I saw my first Bond film when I was 5. I'm 30

I had no idea you were so young. When I was your age, DAF was my favourite Bond flick. Kids are so much savvier now... :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I saw my first Bond film when I was 5. I'm 30 and I still love em.

Like others have said, Bond is for everyone.

Aye! Here here, I was 5 when I first saw GoldenEye and I'm 21. :D
    Murdock wrote:
    I'm 21. :D
    I am so old...
    I am 5 and a half, but I'll be 6 soon!
    I think the more I grow older, the more I appreciate franchise that has spanned over five decades now. I also was 4-5 year old when I saw my first Bond and as 28 year old big kid, I still anticipate the new films and love most of the films in the franchise. I can't say that I hate any of the films. Each movie in the franchise offer some sort of thrills.
    Its for everyone ofcourse! ;)
  • If only my teacher would nag over such subjects :P I saw Bond when I was 7 and I am now 17, turning 18 this year.
    Re-opening this subject-not about age-about gender of fans. I am writing my uni dissertation on Bond -but need a bit of help still...
    I have recently done a questionnaire that many of you very kindly completed(thanks again-wonderful). Over 80% of respondents were male.( NB:The female respondents that did reply gave some great answers).
    When I was putting my focus groups together I had not realised that the male response to Bond was so different -again far easier to recruit male fans than women.
    Focus group discussion decided that possibly things like Mendes use of Tennyson and all the lovely scenery etc might be trying to draw in a higher female demographic...Thoughts on this one would be appreciated.

I know there has been some negative comments from a feminist point of view about M being shown as weaker and Moneypenny staying at her desk in future---but I'm not addressing any of that. My female focus group decided there was a lot of factors -like the poem and scenery, that they thought might have been aimed at them. I am not saying that males don't appreciate them--just checking out my focus group response...
  • XXXXXX Banned
    BAIN123 wrote:
    "warm blooded metrosexual males...not meant for schoolboys" ;)
    This, thank you straight from the mouth of Fleming the man, the master my spirit animal.