Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I'm going through a bit of an obsession with the Connery films at the moment. Following the debate on here I decided to stick my blu-ray of THUNDERBALL on.

Again I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I think its ranking of #9 on my list is pretty accurate.

True its not quite up to the same standard as the previous three but benefits from a simple yet effective plot as well as an excellent villaness in Fiona Voulpe.

Connery too is great (IMO his last excellent performance as Bond before he started phoning things in). I'd also forgotten that Fiona Voulpe casually calls him a "sadistic brute" after they've had sex and she's dressing up to go out. Wouldn't get that these days.

There seems to be a bit more focus on the actual plot here than in YOLT (although both have a high level of spectacle), which is another reason why I rank TB above it.

8/10
    Dr no agaain for the 300 plus time.
    It's my favorite film and i keep enjoy watching it.
    Anyone else here whose favorite film is a bond movie?
    00Beast wrote:
    royale65 wrote:
    Well, well, well, @00Beast! Is that you who walks amongst us? ;-)

Indeed it is, good sir! I knew a return to the forum was in dire need- school can only get in the way so long before there is the need for a fresh breath of Bond!

The Living Daylights

In my attempts to slide back into former Bond habits, I decided to watch TLD to keep my slow but steady 007Marathon alive! TLD has always been a source of great personal confusion for me. What I mean is that I seem to never be able to decide if I'm crazy about it or not- when I first watched it way back in late 2009, I thought it was absolutely fantastic. The airbase battle alone had me captivated! In recent years, I've never lost a liking for it, but the strength of it has decreased to the point that in some rankings, I've not included it in my Top Ten, which disturbed me, frankly! Nevertheless, on this viewing, I think I can say that it at least deserves a Top Ten spot, if not solely for the finale in Afghanistan, which is a favorite of mine. Still, TLD has more to its credit than just the concluding half hour. The Cold War/espionage plot, the soundtrack, the characters (yes, even Koskov and Whitaker- not Kara though- she's lame), the locations, and the actions sequences all contribute to make one fine Bond adventure. Also- and what is usually difficult to say for some Bond movies- TLD does a great job of making its viewers feel like they've taken the journey with 007, which is quite an achievement. Overall, I highly enjoy it; perhaps not every scene, but enough of them to make me include it as Top Ten material for the time being.

2014 Bondathon

1. GoldenEye
    2. The Living Daylights

mr_big.jpg

You didn't include TLD in your top ten, and that disturbed me!

@Perilagu_Khan: Hahaha, I should have known my choice of words there would end up with that reference!
    Octopussy - that's twice in one week now

Either I've got some cruel intentions or it's actually a damn fine watch

Still can't decide which - but one highly entertaining Bond title
    Skyfall

I decided to just pop this in when it turned out I hadn't actually taped Lawrence when I thought I had (hence why I ended up getting it on Blu-ray, a choice I don't regret).

I have to say, this might battle GoldenEye out of my top five. I really do find this to overall be just a stellar picture. It's the first time I've watched it since getting my HDTV and by God do those visuals look fantastic. If one thing can be said about Skyfall, it's absolutely the best looking Bond film yet.

Craig is absolutely brilliant in here, giving a performance right on par with that of CR and QoS. I'd argue it's his best performance yet, but that's really not saying much compared to the other two excellent turns he's also had as our favourite agent.

Though I take issue with Silva's escape still (the biggest flaw of the movie is how convoluted it is), overall I love the plot. M's death scene got tears going for me for the first time; I was close in the past but for some reason it really hit me this time.

Raoul Silva is a contender for the best villain in the series, though in the end Sanchez beats him out for me, 100%. Nonetheless, Bardem was inspired casting and completely took me by surprise as, when I saw the trailer, I almost considered him stunt casting.

I've really, REALLY warmed to Newman's score and to the title track. I love certain parts of Newman's score and take no major issues with any of the individual tracks. My only complaint is that there isn't enough from the title song that made its' way onto the score. However, the Bond theme, or at least parts of it, are evident on most of the tracks and I think the "Skyfall doesn't have enough Bond in the score" complaint is unfounded. Skyfall, if anything, doesn't have enough Skyfall in the score and that's its' only fault.

Overall it's just a masterfully put together film. Perhaps not the absolute best in the series, but I think it belongs in everyone's top ten.
  • Die Another Day

I thought that I would watch it again to see if my opinions had changed about it... They have not. Die Another Die is my least favorite Bond-movie beacause of the terrible CGI, Brosnan look´s bored, Graves is a shit baddie and Halle Berry´s character is a stupid cow. An awful movie, but I will keep watching it since it´s a 007...
    Quantum of Solace

I've always been a fan of the film, but I enjoyed it quite a bit more during this most recent viewing. I thought that the set-up for the new villainous organization was quite good, and it also has some of the best moments in the series (Tosca, the riverbed scene, Greene's demise, Bond's confrontation with Yusef, "I never left").
    Moonraker

"You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season."

Hugo Drax just might be right- never were more accurate words used in a Bond movie to depict that very movie itself. Moonraker is one of those Bond movies that you know full well you are not going to find in a different light than your last viewing, but, nonetheless, it's inevitable- you have to go back and make sure! What's not already been said about Moonraker that I could possibly say? It's overly cheesy, throws Bond into a world of sci-fi that's not meant for him, and contains dialogue which would make even the most avid Bond fan want to "turn from the faith", so to say. Those points are clear enough to us. Still, does it have some redeeming qualities? Thankfully, yes- we can thank Roger Moore, the location work, occasionally great action sequences, and some instances of Barry's soundtrack for carrying us through an otherwise mediocre Bond movie. I don't necessarily despise MR, because it's not utter garbage (like OHMSS), but I can never consider it a favorite, or anything relatively close to a favorite. Overall, a lower-middle to low ranking Bond movie in my list, but certainly not close to the worst.

2014 Bondathon Rankings

1. GoldenEye
    2. The Living Daylights
    3. Moonraker
    The World is not Enough

Eh. Maybe I was a tad wrong about this film.

Sure, some good ideas are underused (why is Renard not in it more?!?!?!), but to be honest, the plot is pretty good, Elektra is a great character as either a girl or a villain, and Jones has a lot lot less screen time than I remember. The action, while not as memorable as other films, is pretty good, and this is probably Brosnan's best performance. It maybe gets a bit strange, and we're definitely in the Roger Moore Zone of Silliness. The worst thing about this movie is the endless one-liners: every other sentence is one, and they're all terrible anyway.

So, it's a better film than I remember. Better than TND for a start, and at least it's not that silly, which makes it better than all the Roger Moore films. Anyway. One thing is for sure: I am missing Timothy Dalton. Can I rewrite time?
    Stuck TOMORROW NEVER DIES on again last night. Having had only 4 hours sleep the previous eve this was a fairly easy watch.

By no means a classic Bond flick but reasonably entertaining in an unremarkable sort of way. It moves along at a fairly lively pace and has some memorable moments but is the definition of "lite".

The last half hour though pushes things too far in terms of action.

5/10
    The Man With The Golden Gun is on itv 1 right now. One of the only films in the series to make me genuinely annoyed at how pathetically unfunny and offensive some of it is. Moore's pretty average at best and has little to make him stand out here.

Routine and limp at best. Unwatchable at worst. Either way a fairly low point in the series.

Sometimes you feel like telling the film to piss off, treating its audience like bloody idiots grrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Stuck TOMORROW NEVER DIES on again last night. Having had only 4 hours sleep the previous eve this was a fairly easy watch.

By no means a classic Bond flick but reasonably entertaining in an unremarkable sort of way. It moves along at a fairly lively pace and has some memorable moments but is the definition of "lite".

5/10

I might be alone in this, but I have nothing against the action in TND. It's an action packed Bond film done right, as opposed to QOS.
    BAIN123 wrote:

5/10

I might be alone in this, but I have nothing against the action in TND. It's an action packed Bond film done right, as opposed to QOS.

I think there's something of an action overload in the last half hour or so. Some of it is quite well done like the motorcycle chase and Wai Lin's fight at her house, but Broz gets little to do other than spout one liners one after another.

Probably one of my favourite action moments in the film though is during the PTS when Bond takes off in the jet. The Bond theme really gives it a punch as does the editing.
    LALD Roger Moore nailed the part and QoB should have taken notice how to do an actual boatchase from this movie. A very good 1st movie for Roger Moore who looks the part very much. And Jane Seymoore is just impressive EYECANDY.
    Roger & Timothy both has exploding men in their first movie, if I were Pierce & Craig I'd be thanking some deity on their bare knees that they did not get such a bit in their movie, it does not look good. Unless we are talking OUTLAND in that case I was impressed with it and Sean Connery as space marshall.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    The World is not Enough, 9/10.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Moonraker

Really had a great time watching this. It's not a good James Bond movie, but it is a good movie in general. Really enjoyable. Sit down with your 7-UP and go for a magical ride that will take you to the final moments of the 70's to the birth of the 1980's. John Barry's score, Ken Adam's production design. Sure the movie is silly but it's fun. Bond movies are meant for fun entertainment. If you like Dark Gritty Bond, that's great. If you like Light Campy Bond, that's great too. We shouldn't hate this film because of it's camp and outlandishness. I've made food comparisons of Bond movies before. But as a whole, the Bond films are like a case of different drinks. If you drink too much of the same thing for an extended period of time you'll get burnt out. That's why I love every different decade of Bond movies, you know you'll get something different and unique each time.

As a Bond movie it's a 6/10. As a piece of entertainment it's a 10/10. This whole movie made me smile from start to finish.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,483
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

5/10

I think there's something of an action overload in the last half hour or so. Some of it is quite well done like the motorcycle chase and Wai Lin's fight at her house, but Broz gets little to do other than spout one liners one after another.

Probably one of my favourite action moments in the film though is during the PTS when Bond takes off in the jet. The Bond theme really gives it a punch as does the editing.

There is definitely an action overload in the second half of TND. What, up to that point, had been a classic Bond film, quickly degenerates into a series of pretty boom-booms and a hail of machine gun fire. It's as if the screenwriters had completely run out of ideas and were forced to substitute "action" for substance. Never has a Bond film shown such promise only to fall apart so completely.

Been watching all the Bond movies, beginning from Dr. No and skipping CR - 67 and NSNA. I'll watch NSNA when I'm done with the EON movies.

So I watched LTK and GE back to back. Both great entries. I kept thinking what the latter one would've been like with Tim Dalton, because GE is more tailor made for Tim's Bond, and for some reason or another I haven't enjoyed Brosnan as Bond that much for a quite some time. But now I thought maybe Brosnan wasn't actullally all that bad replacement for Dalton. Which then reversed my thoughts to the point where I was thinking, what if Brosnan actually would've gotten the role in the 80's and played the role from 87 to 2002, totaling six movies under his belt.

One thing that has put me off in Brosnan is that he isn't as commanding actor as the likes of Dalton, whom he replaced, or Craig. But he was still a good Bond.

Next up ; TND... I'll see how it fares against Goldeneye. I've always thought TND was a better Bond film...for Brosnan. OTT action and hammy villains. This time I actually thought GE might top it in my view. We'll see how it goes.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    SaintMark wrote:
    Roger & Timothy both has exploding men in their first movie, if I were Pierce & Craig I'd be thanking some deity on their bare knees that they did not get such a bit in their movie, it does not look good. Unless we are talking OUTLAND in that case I was impressed with it and Sean Connery as space marshall.

Second film for Dalton, but inflating people comes low on my list of gripes in the series.
    SaintMark wrote:

Second film for Dalton, but inflating people comes low on my list of gripes in the series.

I just saw LALD and while I do not mind him exploding his floating up in the air takes away a credible death, and made it look cheesy imho.
    It does look cheesy, I agree. Even through Trap Door came later, seeing Kananga float around reminds me of (from 03:40 to 04:13) ...

The Man with the Golden Gun. It was on TV. It is a pure mess, but far better than I remembered and had so much potential. In a way, it may be the most frustrating Bond movie.
    SkyFall

One of my favorites! Even from the first viewing in the theater, I knew it was a prime Bond movie. The entertainment never lets up! Thrilling action, stunning location work, a more than memorable main villain, and an utterly stylish performance from Craig as 007. It is, without a doubt, the best of Craig's three, and a definite Top Ten contender.

2014 Spring Bondathon Ranking

1. GoldenEye
    2. SkyFall
    3. The Living Daylights
    4. Moonraker
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    For Your Eyes Only

Hadn't watched this one in a while, it was so good. Objectively I have to say it was Moore's best. I'd forgotten the cheesy phoney underwater close-ups, but other that that, it really holds up well. Lots of suspense, great ally in Columbo, the Bibi stuff wasn't as pervasive or annoying as I remembered, and the climax was excellent. If this had had a Barry score, it would be my top Moore Bond. As it is, it's a top 3 for me with TMWTGG & OP. With LALD & TSWLM right behind them.
    License to Kill

Still a favorite! It moves at a rapid rate for me, which is always the mark of a terrific Bond movie, in my opinion. What's to say about this great Bond adventure that hasn't already been said? Timothy Dalton plows through a fascinating revenge-driven mission that never lets up. The soundtrack aligns perfectly with the overall atmosphere of the movie, Franz Sanchez and Dario are some of the greatest Bond villains of all time, Dalton completely owns the role as 007, and the action sequences are some of the best the series has to offer, without a doubt. A nearly flawless top five outing!

Spring 2014 Bondathon Ranking

1. GoldenEye
    2. License to Kill
    3. SkyFall
    4. The Living Daylights
    5. Moonraker
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @00Beast, your top 3 of your list mirrors my own. :D
    I watched The Living Daylights yesterday, and enjoyed it more than I remembered. Plan on probably watching GoldenEye next; I've kind of been going through them at random for now, but will do the regular marathon later this year for ranking revaluation, and one for fun leading up to Bond 24.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 3,564
    I've recently started watching the films in the order the books were released. Jumbling the "continuity" in this way helps me see them in a new light! Just saw DAF and enjoyed it more than I ever have before. Freed from the weight of expectations -- Sean's last "official" Bond, no mention of Tracy's death, etc. -- it's actually a pretty good entry in the series! The theme that emerges from this film for me is: "Who IS Blofeld?" Is it Charles Gray, and if so, which one? Is it Willard Whyte? In this context, Blofeld's cross-dressing exit from the hotel is far less annoying than usual -- it actually makes an odd sort of sense! And with an awareness of the type of humor to come in this series, the moon-buggy sequence really isn't that bad! Up next, the heart of the series: FRWL, DN and GF. One per week, in the order the books were released. A highly recommended viewing sequence from my experiences so far!
    Murdock wrote:
    @00Beast, your top 3 of your list mirrors my own. :D

You have excellent tastes, good sir!
    I've recently started watching the films in the order the books were released. Jumbling the "continuity" in this way helps me see them in a new light! Just saw DAF and enjoyed it more than I ever have before. Freed from the weight of expectations -- Sean's last "official" Bond, no mention of Tracy's death, etc. -- it's actually a pretty good entry in the series! The theme that emerges from this film for me is: "Who IS Blofeld?" Is it Charles Gray, and if so, which one? Is it Willard Whyte? In this context, Blofeld's cross-dressing exit from the hotel is far less annoying than usual -- it actually makes an odd sort of sense! And with an awareness of the type of humor to come in this series, the moon-buggy sequence really isn't that bad! Up next, the heart of the series: FRWL, DN and GF. One per week, in the order the books were released. A highly recommended viewing sequence from my experiences so far!

I have always meant to watch the movies in novel order, but for some reason, I've never gotten around to it- it's good to hear that you enjoy it! I need to try it soon!