Most dramatic shift in tone between Bond films?

124»

Comments

• RC7RC7
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    SF really shocked me when it denied the events of QoS and referenced GE.

Did it really deny what happened in Quantum Of Solace? I don't think so, it just moved the timeline on somewhat.

What reference to GoldenEye are you referring to? I bet you, you could find in each film, references to another it you wanted to as there are so many.

He means the reference to the exploding pen. I remember I was quite surprised when I first heard that...but in a good way.

Ah, I see. Like the others, I took it as a general reference, not one specific to GE. It could have been any gadget. The pen perhaps rolls off the tongue better and is pretty succinct. Whishaw's delivery makes it.
  • My main complaint about the Cossack angle was that it was simply unnecessary; I think it would have been far more interesting to have 006 as just being a regular Englishman and then we see Alec reveal why he slowly became disenfranchised with England-like Alec's line "Did you ever ask why we toppled all those dictators and undermined all those regimes?-and was compelled to conspire against the crown. Isn't becoming the richest man on the planet pretty strong motivation for betrayal? I think the Cossack thing mucked up his development as a character
  • My main complaint about the Cossack angle was that it was simply unnecessary; I think it would have been far more interesting to have 006 as just being a regular Englishman and then we see Alec reveal why he slowly became disenfranchised with England-like Alec's line "Did you ever ask why we toppled all those dictators and undermined all those regimes?-and was compelled to conspire against the crown. Isn't becoming the richest man on the planet pretty strong motivation for betrayal? I think the Cossack thing mucked up his development as a character

You make a good point and I agree. But the only thing that the Cossack references signify is Alec's ultimate betrayal of Orumov, which could have been done without the same scenario. It really bogged down the credibility of Alec's age portrayal.

The dramatic shift in tone between LTK and GE was the violence. Like I said before, it came out the same year that Joel Schumacher ruined the Batman franchise when parental committees got their way and movie studios were just focused on what's bankable. Too much of GE has to be forgiven, like the Orumov/Alec gunshot at the beginning, the credibility of being able to escape the factory and hitting the one lock that unloads barrels on all the soldiers, and the lack of respect for physics when catching the airplane etc...

• TWINE to DAD - A serious, character-oriented film to, well...DAD