Fleming titles: what's all the fuss about?

edited February 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 12,837
I know that there's a Bond 24 title thread but this is different. I'm not talking about what they should call the next film but why everyone seems to want a Fleming title.

I don't see what all the fuss is about when it comes to Fleming titles. There are no really good ones left anyway imo. "The Hilderbrand Rarity"? Surely they can think of a lot more good original titles instead of having to resort to that.

Property Of A Lady and Risico are alright but I still think that the producers could think of a better title than those. It seems to me that people just want to use a Fleming title for the sake of it, because it's Fleming. But I don't think Fleming always means good (I think QOS was an awful title and THR is even worse), and besides I'm more bothered about them actually using Fleming material. The OHMSS knuckleduster bit, the MR card game or the YOLT garden of death being used in Bond 24 would be brilliant. But calling it "The Silver Phantom" or "Zero Minus" or some other chapter title like fans have suggested? I'd say it's a poor decision because I think they can do better.

Which sounds better to you, Quantum Of Solace or Everything Or Nothing? Property Of A Lady or Skyfall? The Hilderbrand Rarity or Die Another Day? I just don't see the appeal in these Fleming titles at all and I think the producers have shown that they can do better.

Look at LTK, original title but it uses more Fleming than QOS did, which did have a Fleming title. Shows that it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. So I'm hoping for Bond 24 that we'll get some Fleming in the film, but the title is something new.

Comments

• Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    Well, certainly the title cannot determine whether the film will be any good or not, I concede that point to you. You do make valid and thought-provoking points here, @thelivingroyale.
    You are begging the question here and creating false dichotomies: I find The Property of a Lady a great title, regardless of the quality (or lack of) of any non-Fleming titles. And I am ALL for using as much Fleming material as possible. Which means, yes, primarily plot elements, atmosphere and characters. But also, if possible, if relevant, if the title is good... Fleming's titles. Regardless of the quality of the movie, QOS was a good title, however obscure the reference it was not more obscure than say Moonraker or Thunderball.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I totally agree with you @thelivingroyale, there are no great ones left. So yes, use the Fleming material from the books but not the title.

I grant you QOS was the very worst title of all and THR is as bad as it. I never found POAL and Risico attractive btw.

To answer your question : EoN sounds a great title for a 007 film so do Skyfall and DAD.

They can do better.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    It seems to me that people just want to use a Fleming title for the sake of it, because it's Fleming. But I don't think Fleming always means good (I think QOS was an awful title and THR is even worse), and besides I'm more bothered about them actually using Fleming material.
    Perhaps some people want a Fleming title just for the sake of it but I think that most of us would want it used only when relevant to the plot. I agree with you though that I'd rather see unused material from the novels than just a title.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 316
    I think QOS was an awful title and THR is even worse

excuse me??!!!
    I think QOS was an awful title and THR is even worse

excuse me??!!!

The Hildebrand rarity is an awesome title

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2014 Posts: 4,443
    Property Of A Lady, Risico, Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and 007 in New York are titles i like to be consider.

The Hilderbrand Rarity is title i like to see used for Bond 25.

But iam happy Bond 23 not get Fleming title and if the other DC movies also not get Fleming title i don´t mind. Brosnan also get 2 Fleming titles (Goldeneye, Twine).

None Fleming Title (or subtitle) as alternate title of Risico/Property Of A Lady in style of Licence to Kill, i think about be ''A Legend To Die For''.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I like Risico and Property of a Lady. But I doubt they will use them since they are making original stories for the films nowadays.

Even though there were some film titles that weren't based on the books or short stories.

I don't think 007 in New York would fit well as a film title. It doesn't really sound "Bond" like.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,778
    Personally I think The Hildebrand Rarity is an awesome title. And to a lesser extent so is Risico. The Property of a Lady is the only one that I don't like. I didn't care much for Quantum of Solace as a title and I'm not sure why they determined that was the best of the remaining 4 for Bond 22. I know they came up with a contrived reason how it ties into the story but unless you heard them explain it,it really doesn't tie into the story. QOS could've been called anything really.

I could see Risico being the last name of a villain and using it as a title.
    I remember Risico being the most rumored title before Skyfall was announced.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Pajan005 wrote:
    I like Risico and Property of a Lady. But I doubt they will use them since they are making original stories for the films nowadays.

Even though there were some film titles that weren't based on the books or short stories.

I don't think 007 in New York would fit well as a film title. It doesn't really sound "Bond" like.

They were making original stories for the films back in the sixties, with You Only Live Twice, and then from Diamonds are Forever onwards. Yet they were still using Fleming titles.
    Walecs wrote:
    They were making original stories for the films back in the sixties, with You Only Live Twice, and then from Diamonds are Forever onwards. Yet they were still using Fleming titles.

You are right about that.

I just think fleming titles adds a little something extra.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I personally only like Risico. The rest just don't sound Bondian, and incredibly contrived. I think Risico can be worked well into a Bond film.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 432
    I guess it could work having two one word titles after each other. Much like Goldfinger and Thunderball. It would be Skyfall and Risico.

They just need to include the name Risico somehow.

That's probably the best way of using it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Personally I think The Hildebrand Rarity is an awesome title. And to a lesser extent so is Risico. The Property of a Lady is the only one that I don't like. I didn't care much for Quantum of Solace as a title and I'm not sure why they determined that was the best of the remaining 4 for Bond 22. I know they came up with a contrived reason how it ties into the story but unless you heard them explain it,it really doesn't tie into the story. QOS could've been called anything really.

Agree about The Hildebrand Rarity.
    That the orginization is called Quantum is just so they could use another Fleming title and give it a dual meaning. A bit lazy.

Risico is Italian for risk. In Norwegian we say risiko. I think it is an ordinary expression throughout Europe at least?
  • Personally I think The Hildebrand Rarity is an awesome title. And to a lesser extent so is Risico. The Property of a Lady is the only one that I don't like. I didn't care much for Quantum of Solace as a title and I'm not sure why they determined that was the best of the remaining 4 for Bond 22. I know they came up with a contrived reason how it ties into the story but unless you heard them explain it,it really doesn't tie into the story. QOS could've been called anything really.

That the orginization is called Quantum is just so they could use another Fleming title and give it a dual meaning. A bit lazy.

Risico is Italian for risk. In Norwegian we say risiko. I think it is an ordinary expression throughout Europe at least?

Really? I didn't know that's what it translated to. I still think it sound cool for villain's last name. I remember someone on this board a couple years ago suggested Alejandro Risico to be Javier Bardem's name before his character's name and the title Skyfall was revealed for Bond 23.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It could work as a codename, I guess. But isnt that just as lazy as the Quantum in QOS?
    The villain would need to be outstanding. Isn't risico a mistranslation?
  • RC7RC7
    It could work as a codename, I guess. But isnt that just as lazy as the Quantum in QOS?

I don't think it matters, as long as its clear. The problem with 'Quantum' is that it has dual meaning. The full phrase is pertinent to Bond's state of mind at the end of the film, while as we know, the 'Quantum' part was adopted for the villainous organisation. Personally I'd have ditched Quantum as the name of the organisation and had its meaning clearly resonate with the narrative of the movie. For the less attentive cinema goers I don't think its narrative relevance was particularly clear, muddied by its application to the villains. I remember speaking to friends around the time and having to point out the relationship of the title to the final scene of the movie.
    As mentioned there aren't really any good Fleming titles left, which is a shame. When they have tried to give the films a Fleming sound a like such as Die Another Day it sounds a bit pants!
    edited February 2014 Posts: 432
    I think all those titles with the words "Die" or "Kill" are too easy to use.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 3,157

Actually, in italian it's "Rischio" (which means "risk"). I think that in the short story, Risico (which means nothing in italian) is the way Colombo pronounces the work "risk".
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    As mentioned there aren't really any good Fleming titles left, which is a shame. When they have tried to give the films a Fleming sound a like such as Die Another Day it sounds a bit pants!

See I always thought Die Another Day was quite a good title. I thought it fitted the film well and sounded cool. Apparently they got it from a poem, so it wasn't just them trying to sound like Fleming either.

I think the worst film titles so far have been Tomorrow Never Dies and Quantum Of Solace.

See I always thought Die Another Day was quite a good title. I thought it fitted the film well and sounded cool. Apparently they got it from a poem, so it wasn't just them trying to sound like Fleming either.

I think the worst film titles so far have been Tomorrow Never Dies and Quantum Of Solace.

Die Another Day would have been a far better title, had the word 'Die' not been used two films earlier.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    All it does is make the argument that Pierce Brosnan's films blend together, even stronger. A really ill thought out idea.

Die Another Day would have been a far better title, had the word 'Die' not been used two films earlier.

Naming the movie "Tomorrow Never Dies" instead of "Tomorrow Never Lies" was a terrible choice.
    Walecs wrote:

Naming the movie "Tomorrow Never Dies" instead of "Tomorrow Never Lies" was a terrible choice.

Completely agree. "Lies" had a relevance to the story. "Dies" made it sound like a straight-to-video Van Damme/Segal movie.
    And Lies was far more Flemingesque. Which means we go back to Fleming again.
    the problem is even the original titles try and sound flemingesque so Why not just go for something fleming?