Deleted Scenes from OHMSS on YouTube

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited September 2022 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,808
Here are some You Tube videos of deleted scenes reconstructed on YouTube:

Thought that they might be of some interest to members here! These scenes are discussed in more detail in Charles Helfenstein's excellent book The Making of On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Comments

Thanks for sharing. I've seen a couple of still's of this before but these look like captures from a reel of film- quite grainy or perhaps its just the low quality of youtube. I guess they are taken from the book but I've not read it yet.
  • Wow! I never knew the sequence was so extensive. I always thought the chase took place on the rooftops of the lawyers office, I'm surprised to hear it took place in London. That sequence looks fantastic, it was shame it got cut though understandable.

Do we know if the entire sequence even got filmed? There are only pictures up to a certain point. I really wish the prods would release what they have, it be amazing to see more of Lazenby as Bond, akin I imagine to seeing Paul McGann briefly reappear as the Doctor last year.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,350
    None of it was filmed as far as we're aware @Pierce2Daniel.
    Even if OHMSS runs close to 3 hours, I would have LOVE to see the Phidian chase. I feel I am rob of something. They also could have kept the script where Bond, instead of being lock-up in the cable-car room, is being lock-up in a steel cage with a chimp. In the original script Bond uses the chimp to escape. That would have been fun!
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,856
    Am I the only one that noticed that really inaccurate Skyfall rant in video one?
    Anyway Eon its been 45 years, if it still exists show it to us I mean it's not going to ruin anything and it allows us to see more of the most under-rated Bond actor.
    Same goes with the QOS ending, you've let it lie now let us see.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I'd be nice to see all the deleted scenes one day. I'm curious about that QOS ending.
  • O6GO6G
    what the hell is this conspiracy rambling
    O6G wrote:

To what conspiracy are you referring?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    O6G wrote:

Watch the above videos. It's all there.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    O6G wrote:

I assumed I'd seen both videos before. I'd only ever actually watched the second one.

You're right though, that first video is a load of "Illuminati" bollocks.
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    edited February 2014 Posts: 145
    Samuel001 wrote:
    O6G wrote:

I assumed I'd seen both videos before. I'd only ever actually watched the second one.

As the thread starter let me apologise for that first one - I didn't know its content on putting it up here for members to view - sorry if I caused upset or offence. My intentions were purely honorable.

D.
    Dragonpol2 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    O6G wrote:

As the thread starter let me apologise for that first one - I didn't know its content on putting it up here for members to view - sorry if I caused upset or offence. My intentions were purely honorable.

D.

You don't have to apologise Draggers (unless you made the video) ;-)

Dragonpol2 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    O6G wrote:

D.

No, I didn't make it, Willy, but I did post it so I feel a tad silly for exposing you good folks to its black propaganda. I remember taping (then editor) John Glen referring to this excised scene from OHMSS on Radio 2 in April 2001 when he was plugging his book For My Eyes Only. I think that he goes into more detail in it there, too. Very interesting, nonetheless.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Dragonpol2 wrote:
    Dragonpol2 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    O6G wrote:

D.

No, I didn't make it, Willy, but I did post it so I feel a tad silly for exposing you good folks to its black propaganda. I remember taping (then editor) John Glen referring to this excised scene from OHMSS on Radio 2 in April 2001 when he was plugging his book For My Eyes Only. I think that he goes into more detail in it there, too. Very interesting, nonetheless.

It reads very much like it was made by Scotty/ @Dressed_To_Kill. Or is it @Touch_my_buttons. I seem to get my trolls mixed up.
    Dragonpol2 wrote:
    Dragonpol2 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    O6G wrote:

D.

It reads very much like it was made by Scotty/ @Dressed_To_Kill. Or is it @Touch_my_buttons. I seem to get my trolls mixed up.

Yes, funny I was thinking of him earlier. They're one and the same, y'know, but I'm sure you knew that, Willy!
    But he goes by so many names, it's hard for me to keep up ;-)

I've forgotten what his current member name is. @Smokolo or something like that.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 145

I've forgotten what his current member name is. @Smokolo or something like that.

You really think he's back?! Let's use our parliamentary privilege and name the rat!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,808
    Dragonpol2 wrote:

You really think he's back?! Let's use our parliamentary privilege and name the rat!

He's since been banned. Anyway, on with the thread.
  • @Dragonpool, the second video is OK, don'y need to apologize.

Watching all this makes me wonder why they deleted it. Was it for Lazenby's injury? I think it would have made an excellent action scene, especially those leaps of faith from one building to another.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Watching all this makes me wonder why they deleted it. Was it for Lazenby's injury? I think it would have made an excellent action scene, especially those leaps of faith from one building to another.

I think the most plausible and seemingly conclusive reason was 'budgetary constraints'.

The chase began with Bond chasing a SPECTRE mole called, Phidian. Bond discovers Phidian has been listening in, at which point so does, Phidian - chase ensues. A lot of it was on foot, and was supposed to continue through a post-office, into the P.O. Railway. Bond and Phidian fight it out until Phidian is hit by a freight car. The next scene was supposed to take place at St. Pancras where, aided by Q dressed as railwayman, under the cover of darkness a car containing Phidian's body is attached to a train leaving London. Bond and a driver then uncouple the car and switch tracks, pushing it up to full speed. They jump before it ploughs into a stationary freight car, covering up the death of, Phidian.

Anyhow, you can see how that would cost a fair few quid and given that the Phidian angle doesn't progress the narrative in anyway, I can understand why it was cut.

Interesting stuff.
    I will never be able to look at Phidian in the same way ,and there was me thinking he was a simple lad just researching !!

I will also look out for the newspaper headline in future,which proves these scenes must have been very close to being finished and included in the film.
  • RC7RC7
    barryt007 wrote:
    Interesting stuff.
    I will never be able to look at Phidian in the same way ,and there was me thinking he was a simple lad just researching !!

I will also look out for the newspaper headline in future,which proves these scenes must have been very close to being finished and included in the film.

Would have been a cool scene, but probably would have stretched the film by another ten minutes just to eliminate a mole.
    @Dragonpool, the second video is OK, don'y need to apologize.

Well, I suppose that we got a variant of it in Quantum of Solace.
  • @RC7 Good points

@Dragonpool Yup, but those pre-1970s aestethics of OHMSS are so cool to me...
    Dragonpol wrote:

...And Skyfall. Nothing gets lost.

On a side note, I just remembered, watching this scene, that George Baker was in a Bond movie. I thought circa 1980-1990, he would have made an amazing M.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,808
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

...And Skyfall. Nothing gets lost.

On a side note, I just remembered, watching this scene, that George Baker was in a Bond movie. I thought circa 1980-1990, he would have made an amazing M.

George Baker was in three James Bond films in fact - YOLT (uncredited NASA engineer) OHMSS (Sir Hilary Bray) and TSWLM (Captain Benson)
    And none as M. Tragic miss here.
    Ludovico wrote:
    And none as M. Tragic miss here.

Yes, pity that. He would have been good no doubt, though his fellow naval officer Captain Benson (Robert Brown) ironically took over as M instead after Bernard Lee passed away.