'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I could actually see this being true but what about in series 6, when he gets shot by the astronaut? I know it turned out that he faked his death but he did start to regenerate. I just assumed he wanted to make it more convincing but why would he bother faking that if he was on his last life?

That's always bugged me. If he was a fake robot how could he still attempt a regeneration? Didn't seem to make much sense.

Well if this does turn out to be true then at least it makes sense. He tired to regenerate despite being on his last life because he wasn't real, he was a robot, and since nobody knew the John Hurt doctor existed, the robot people didn't think he was on his last life and assumed he would attempt a regeneration, so they did that to make it more convincing (not sure how they did it though).
    Samuel001 wrote:

Are they considering Rowan Atkinson as a real doctor? Sarcasm. [-(
    Have to say i was a little disappoited with parts of the 50th special. Just felt a little underwhelmed to be honest. From what i saw of the Christmas episode? Have higher hopes for that one! Was surprised that Matt Smiths Dr did not twig that Capaldi's Dr was also present during their saviour plan for Gallifrey! Especially when he said make that 13 Dr's?!!! Perhaps the Christmas episode addresses this and i am getting to ahead of myself? Not long to find out though!
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 6,396
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Have to say i was a little disappoited with parts of the 50th special. Just felt a little underwhelmed to be honest. From what i saw of the Christmas episode? Have higher hopes for that one! Was surprised that Matt Smiths Dr did not twig that Capaldi's Dr was also present during their saviour plan for Gallifrey! Especially when he said make that 13 Dr's?!!! Perhaps the Christmas episode addresses this and i am getting to ahead of myself? Not long to find out though!

I think if they'd have ditched all the filler with the Zygons and Elizabeth I and just concentrated solely on the Doctor's dilemma as to whether or not to use The Moment, it could have been much better.

I was disappointed with the Time War as well. When Tennant's Doctor described it as this (from The End of Time):

DOCTOR: "You weren't there in the final days of the War. You never saw what was born. But if the Timelock's broken, then everything's coming through. Not just the Daleks, but the Skaro Degradations, the Horde of Travesties, the Nightmare Child, the Could-have-been King with his army of Meanwhiles and Never-weres. The War turned into hell. And that's what you've opened, right above the Earth. Hell is descending.

All we got to see were Daleks.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Orbiting a quiet backwater planet, the massed forces of the universe’s deadliest species gather, drawn to a mysterious message that echoes out to the stars - and amongst them, the Doctor. Rescuing Clara from a family Christmas dinner, the Time Lord and his best friend must learn what this enigmatic signal means for his own fate and that of the universe.

The Time of the Doctor

p01m7s5v.jpg
    I think they missed a trick by not calling it Silent Night but it sounds really good.

For the regeneration, I'd like something more along the lines of Eccleston where it was sad, but he took it on the chin and went out smiling, rather than Tennant, where he cried about dying while a choir of a thousand shouting people bellowed out melodramatic music in the background.
    This will be a regeneration story done right, I can feel it. Tennant's was an overlong letdown, this one will tie everything from Matt's era up, so should be a grand finish.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    This will be a regeneration story done right, I can feel it. Tennant's was an overlong letdown, this one will tie everything from Matt's era up, so should be a grand finish.

Spot on. Usually when the Doctor is mortally wounded, his regeneration is almost immediate (The Parting Of The Ways and Journey's End) but with Tennant's, he was able to visit all of his past companions before morphing into Smith. It was the television equivalent of Return Of The King for overblown ending.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Moffat was asked will we find out how the TARDIS exploded and he replied:

"Oh, never mind the TARDIS blowing up, what about the endless, bitter war Kovarian was on about? And what's Trenzalore? And the oldest question in the universe? And what exactly do they mean, silence will fall? Anyway, I'm off to a readthrough..."

"It is a proper finale to Matt Smith. It's the story that we've been telling since he first put the bow tie on - that's what we're going to resolve."

"A lot of stuff we've left hanging we tie up there. And it's Trenzalore!"

This should make for a very different Christmas special.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A different look to the regenerations would be a welcome change. Every regeneration we've seen since the Eccleston to Tennant one has looked the same.
    A different look to the regenerations would be a welcome change. Every regeneration we've seen since the Eccleston to Tennant one has looked the same.

I like it staying the same and as Mcgann and Hurt both had the regular one I can't see it changing for Smith.
  • A different look to the regenerations would be a welcome change. Every regeneration we've seen since the Eccleston to Tennant one has looked the same.

I like it staying the same and as Mcgann and Hurt both had the regular one I can't see it changing for Smith.

Different - That's what made regenerations something to look forward to in the classic era. You never knew what you were going to get. Still think Peter Davison into Colin Baker is still the best regeneration to date.
    I too would love a new effect but I feel the 'standing up with gold energy' is set in stone for the time being. I too wish the Doctor would be laying down again with something we don't expect coming our way.
  • The doctor always seemed to be lying down as would be expected when his current incarnation is dying. Since the revival he's stood up and had the same gold light energy effect.

I understand if they want uniformity for the new series but they have had a tinker or two with the look of the Tardis, just a shame they can't get their creative juices going to come up with some variety in the regenerations.

That said, as soon as you see the gold effect energy, you know what's coming and it does look good and dramatic.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    OK, I have never been able to watch this series.
    I saw maybe 2 episodes in the States (Tennant). But I'd love to really watch many.
    So my question is (since I will be buying episodes, I am assuming) where should I start? With Peter Davison as doctor? Just a little advice is appreciated. I don't mean to get everybody offtrack here. Thanks.
    Always go back to the start @4EverBonded. Watch the William Hartnell episodes and carry on from there.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I've reached the 3rd Doctor today! It's quite a ride watching them all sequencially.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I would do it online (I suppose that's available for older ones?) but I cannot on this computer. Looks like I'll try to start at the beginning then. :)

How many episodes are in each series? Like per year? Just so I can figure this out a bit ...
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials

Here's the page I've been using to keep track of the episodes, it has a list of every episode, per Doctor. Several of the old ones are missing, unfortunately.
    That's a help, Sandy - thanks!
    More Christmas spoilers:
    A bell tolls across the Universe. Many are afraid, The Doctor and Clara are... curious.

You will come to Christmas Town, a place of peace, welcomed by Rob Jarvis and Tessa Peake-Jones.

You will come to Trenzalore, a planet of war.

You will find out where Gallifrey went.

You will discover what the Silence are.

You will see who the voice in the TARDIS was.

The episode will be nine hundred years long.

There will be Daleks, Cybermen and Weeping Angels. Some of them will be wooden. So will The Doctor.

He always has Handles. And grab hold, as you will find out what the hell that crack in space and time actually was. Because The Time Of The Doctor will be going right back to The Eleventh Hour.

Series 8 is said to be split over two years with six episodes and a Christmas special each year, for a total of fourteen. The series is rumoured to begin on 19th April.

For the missing episodes, both Marco Polo and The Massacre Of St Bartholomew's Eve are said to be nearly ready to go.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/25/doctor-who-on-christmas-day-the-time-of-the-doctor

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/25/how-season-eight-of-doctor-who-will-play-out-over-two-years

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/25/and-id-have-gotten-away-with-it-if-it-wasnt-for-those-pesky-doctor-who-missing-episodes
  • @Samuel001
    Don't we already know who the voice in the TARDIS was? I thought it was The Silence, it was them who blew it up right afterwards wasn't it?

Interesting how we'll find out where Gallifrey went. I thought that'd be Capaldi's first series, him going to different places picking up clues which would lead him there for the series finale.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    "The Thirteen Doctors Will See You Now"... some thoughts on the golden weekend of WHO celebrations... and WHATEVER that BBC Three show was meant to be about....

http://markoconnell.co.uk/?p=1056
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:

Not another split series. Can't we just have a full series of 13 episodes and the Christmas special?

I agree, since this is the 1st series I will be watching while it airs
    I imagine it's because of the budget. The show was much cheaper to make back in 2005 back when they were dressing up Cardiff community centres as spaceships but now it seems like they've had to make less episodes because they're costing more to make (compare the 50th special to any of the series 1 or 2 episodes).
    It's Sherlock. The two programmes can't be in production at the same time and with Series 8 filming from January - December next year, there will be no choice but to split it. The other choice would be a complete run in Spring 2015.
    Sod Sherlock, give me more Doctor Who.
    I quite agree but you know, all we can do is put up with it.
    And I guess half a series is better than no series.