'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The Mirror is reporting today that a fan recorded Marco Polo when on TV and the silent film will be matched with the audio recordings to bring all seven episodes back to life. It is to be unveiled next month:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-missing-episodes-seven-2839102
    Wow, there's quite a lot of love for this show. It's starting to pick up in popularity over here in the states. The only episode I've ever seen was the one from about 4 years ago (I think), with the moving statues, that would move when the character wasn't facing them.

Any recommendations with where to start with the series? Is there a certain era that is considered "classic"?
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Wow, there's quite a lot of love for this show. It's starting to pick up in popularity over here in the states. The only episode I've ever seen was the one from about 4 years ago (I think), with the moving statues, that would move when the character wasn't facing them.

Any recommendations with where to start with the series? Is there a certain era that is considered "classic"?

Ah yes the Weeping Angels, which means you either watched the episodes "Blink" or "The Time of Angels"/"Flesh and Stone".

The best place to start would be at the start - "Unearthly Child" :-)

edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Truely, that is the way to go. The early years may to be dated in some aspects but the series is the same. Go from there and get up to date.

We can thank Steven Moffat for bringing Doctor Who to America. He's done a great job promoting it over there.
    That's right, it was "Blink" I remember now. Watched it on Halloween with some friends.
    I just watched An Adventure in Space and Time and IMO it was great. All I need to say is.
    That Matt Smith Cameo got me a bit teary eyed
    ohfilms1 wrote:
    I just watched An Adventure in Space and Time and IMO it was great. All I need to say is.
    That Matt Smith Cameo got me a bit teary eyed

Yeah right with you there.
  • The Day of the Doctor has finally arrived. Happy 50th Aniversary to the longest running sci-fi drama in the world. My favourite movie franchise celebrated its special landmark last year and now my favourite TV drama has reached the big 50 also. Can't wait for tonight's story. I hope it's going to be epic!
    Yes can't wait for tonight. It's being beamed live across 90 countries. Must be one of the biggest television broadcasts (other than sport or current affairs) in a very long time.
    As far as a filmed TV programme goes it's the biggest. It's also in 15 languages.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Dr. Who doodle today on https://www.google.co.uk/
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Steven Moffat has said that we should expect an "emotional wallop" at the end of tonight's episode :-)
    A cameo by William Hartnell would just about do it I think, though he must have something better in store.

I, for one, hope after tonight the Time Lords and Gallifrey are back for good, the way the series should be.

The Doctor Who doodie, or Whodle, is great fun by the way.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    A cameo by William Hartnell would just about do it I think, though he must have something better in store.

I, for one, hope after tonight the Time Lords and Gallifrey are back for good, the way the series should be.

The Doctor Who doodie, or Whodle, is great fun by the way.
    Do you think the Doctor may try to change history so that the entire Time War is undone?
    Rumour has it, the Doctor has to unlock the Time War for whatever reason, some say to escape the Time Stream and face his darkest day. The story will go from there. Whatever happens, we'll be seeing the Time War in full swing tonight.

The minisode The Last Day gives a glimpse of what's going to happen.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Bringing Gallifrey back into existence could be an interesting setup ready for the 12 Doctor. And then there's The Five Doctors Rebooted:

http://www.list.co.uk/article/56681-peter-davison-five-doctors-rebooted-has-better-cast-than-who-special/
    Also the Afterparty after the programme, tonight on BBC Three. Lots going on.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Personally I hope they don't bring back the Time Lords. I don't even think the daleks should've appeared again after the first (modern series) story they were in (although that was inevitable really given their popularity).

They've always made a big deal out of the Time War. Eccleston's doctor basically revolved around it and it was a big part of Tennants run too (he died trying to stop it). Just undoing all that and getting everything back to normal would undermine all that imo and it'd be a bit of a slap in the face to Russel T Davies, essentially retconning the new origin story he'd created.

Can't wait for tonight though, should be brilliant.
    And I am counting down, while my lassies are watching Strictly come Dancing!!!
    Although there were a couple of nice surprises, is it wrong to be just a little disappointed by that?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited November 2013 Posts: 4,012
    Personally I loved it, but what a convoluted plot! Amazing, although he/they
    (all 13!) changed history.
    Sandy wrote:
    Personally I loved it, but what a convoluted plot! Amazing, although he/they (all 13!) changed history.

You might want to pop that into spoilers for those who have yet to watch it.
  • I thought it was great. Slightly convoluted plot as you say but wow. Especially the great surprises I wasn't expecting!
    Sandy wrote:
    Personally I loved it, but what a convoluted plot! Amazing, although he/they (all 13!) changed history.

You might want to pop that into spoilers for those who have yet to watch it.
    Agreed.
    Did anybody notice the Peter Capaldi cameo? Am I the only one?
    ohfilms1 wrote:

No I noticed it too.
    ohfilms1 wrote:

No I noticed it too.
    His eyes made me realize it was him

:D
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    F**k me that was complicated. Really enjoyed it though. Best part of it was John Hurt, he was brilliant.
    Although there were a couple of nice surprises, is it wrong to be just a little disappointed by that?

I was disappointed by the lack of Eccleston but that's not really their fault and they tried their best to include him without him actually being there so I'm alright with it.
    ohfilms1 wrote:

Yeah I thought that was quite clever, I did wonder if he'd get a mention.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited November 2013 Posts: 2,630
    I was hoping that they would show Hurt's full regeneration, with Eccelston having an actual cameo.
    I was hoping that they would show Hurt's full regeneration, with Eccelston having an actual cameo.

After seeing McGann last week I was quite confident he would appear but it seems he is just way too stubborn to have said yes.
  • Superb. Wonderful. I think the first two-thirds of the plot can be improved, but the last ten-fifteen minutes is worthwhile redemption.
    Tom Baker! Peter Capaldi! Both of those stole the scene for me

9/10.