Male Privilege in the Bond era

2»

Comments

• Bond has moved with the times and I see why people are quick to point a finger when judging him over the course of 50 years. You can find many examples in the older movies of labelling Bond sexist, degrading to women etc if you want but for me, whilst Bond movies have glamourised women they have also empowered them. Showing them as powerful, intelligent and resourceful. Not always (Mary Goodnight anyone?) but for the most part many women are a match for Bond and shown as his equal.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I think the OP is a sexist, misandry dinasour, a relic of the cold war.

Anyway, I love this thread. seldom have I seen so many posters seen so quickly started googling for pictures of beautiful people... ;-)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    tlaurelv wrote:
    Can we have a civilized discussion, about the sexual objectification, the male chauvinism, and the general degradation of womyn going here?

I doubt it, but we'll see.
    tlaurelv wrote:
    How difficult is it not to see my views? I stated them plainly. The bond films from day one have been extremely chauvinistic. Men displaying their physical dominance over womyn. Womyn, always needing a man to save them. They might give a sister a decent role once in while, but its still always the same. And on top of that, it all for some rail-thin woman that promotes this impossible expectation for beauty!

This could be a very interesting thread but the way new member @tlaurelv stated his opening post and the next makes me horribly suspicious of his true intentions. So let us indeed get into this and demonstrate how civilized our discussions can be so long as only open-minded people participate. @tlaurelv appears prone to the opposite of being open-minded.

Let me put it like this:

Can @tlaurelv have a civilized discussion, about the sexual objectification, the male chauvinism, and the general degradation of women going here? I doubt it, but we'll see...

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well as far as I'm concerned, the original originator Ian Fleming never degraded his female characters; the Bond films quite apart.
  • The problem with @tlaurelv is that if not a spammer just looking for some reactions, then this is a female chauvinist who isn't interested in hearing any POV but her own. Civilized discussion is code for "see it my way". Hit them with some facts, in this case an obviously profound lack of knowledge of Bond subject material, and she's (probably been) licked. If she is reading she's already seen that what I said was true, female Bond fans do their share of objectifying Bond as much as we men do with the ladies and as I thought all along, they rejected her attempts to militarize them. The women here are perfectly strong on their own. If they see something wrong, they will speak their minds.

I doubt she will be back. But I certainly do hope otherwise ;) :))
  • The problem with @tlaurelv is that if not a spammer just looking for some reactions, then this is a female chauvinist who isn't interested in hearing any POV but her own. Civilized discussion is code for "see it my way". Hit them with some facts, in this case an obviously profound lack of knowledge of Bond subject material, and she's (probably been) licked. If she is reading she's already seen that what I said was true, female Bond fans do their share of objectifying Bond as much as we men do with the ladies and as I thought all along, they rejected her attempts to militarize them. The women here are perfectly strong on their own. If they see something wrong, they will speak their minds.

True. Reminds me of when certain politicians call for "a national conversation about race." What they really want is a national lecture about race, with them doing the lecturing.

I think she's better scared off after two posts and a superior argument to her own, if in fact she had one to start with.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The problem with @tlaurelv is that if not a spammer just looking for some reactions, then this is a female chauvinist who isn't interested in hearing any POV but her own. Civilized discussion is code for "see it my way". Hit them with some facts, in this case an obviously profound lack of knowledge of Bond subject material, and she's (probably been) licked. If she is reading she's already seen that what I said was true, female Bond fans do their share of objectifying Bond as much as we men do with the ladies and as I thought all along, they rejected her attempts to militarize them. The women here are perfectly strong on their own. If they see something wrong, they will speak their minds.

To be honest I think that's the part she's been missing out on lately...

*runs*

To be honest I think that's the part she's been missing out on lately...

*runs*

On the contrary. She tucked her pseudo penis between her legs and went home to get her licking. How's that for a civilized discussion?

*runs even faster from the MI6 censors*

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Time to stop this now me thinks!
    ^ Agreed with me old mucker above. This thread seems to have outlived it's usefulness. Someone want to lock it down?
  • I know you two are laughing ;)
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Please tell me no one is really running from the censors over those comments... :-S
    How is it that this thread has lived so long; it just wastes people's time as it has no serious discussion whatsoever.
    retrokitty wrote:
    Please tell me no one is really running from the censors over those comments... :-S
    My dear Kitty, you should know better. You must remember the time when a couple of us on msn decided we'd make a thread as long as we could with utter nonsense before it was shut down. We made one hell of an effort then. This thread asked for some utter nonsense, and so @SirHenry and me did what we had to do ;-)
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Exactly. Not to speak for you, but I keep putting the bait out there and the "weakfish" I'm trying to catch, those "womyn", aren't biting. Was it something I said? I certainly hope so. I have as much time for that feminazi bullshit as I do for cavemen who think beating their woman to keep her in line because Daddy did it is OK. Two wrongs don't make a right and reverse chauvinism solves nothing. Chasing vermin like that away is my pleasure.

I'd say that if she doesn't come back by the weekend, by all means let's see if she has the guts to come back, then lock it up.
    I personally doubt we will see her back again but there are plenty of trolls to take her place if you look on the 'Activity' page on this community.
    Exactly. Not to speak for you, but I keep putting the bait out there and the "weakfish" I'm trying to catch, those "womyn", aren't biting. Was it something I said? I certainly hope so. I have as much time for that feminazi bullshit as I do for cavemen who think beating their woman to keep her in line because Daddy did it is OK. Two wrongs don't make a right and reverse chauvinism solves nothing. Chasing vermin like that away is my pleasure.

I'd say that if she doesn't come back by the weekend, by all means let's see if she has the guts to come back, then lock it up.

True gentilemen know how to behave, as do true ladies. Not because they're feminist or mysogenist, but because they know how to treat a fellow human beeing. saying Bondfilms are disrespectful is in fact saying you don't understand the basis of escapist fun for everyone.
    But enough has been said on this matter. I think it's a pity she didn't come back. I do enjoy my nonsese-threads once in a while and let's be frank, if we can contain such people to a discussion like this one, the rest of the forum stays clear of such rubbish.

Could all our current trolls please only post here? thank you. The warden will come in and check on you one a day...