'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Here's the Doctor Who thread! I've been looking for you.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Fan intro, will be way better than what the Beeb update to:

• timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    Good to see there's an active Doctor Who thread! Been a fan since 2007 (discovered it through the old series rather than the new series beleive it or not) and never looked back. Been fan of the Big Finish audios with the living old series Doctors as well.

I've been amazed at how the show has grown here in the US. It's grown to the point I now help run a Doctor Who convention here in North Alabama since 2011 where I live with next year seeing Sylvester McCoy as a guest. I never thought I'd see the day!

timdalton007
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 37
    Sylvester McCoy is super nice! Colin Baker is, too. Baker actually remembered me from a previous convention! I went to a Doctor Who premiere in New York in 2010, and Matt Smith and Karen Gillan came out and handed out donuts! Matt gave me a chocolate one.

I get to meet my favourite (Peter Davison) in November. I am quite chuffed about it.
    McCoy is my favorite Doctor and I was lucky enough to meet him at Chicago TARDIS last year where I got to tell him that (and he saying that was his favorite thing to hear). Going there since 2008 has meant I've met him, Davison, Colin Baker and Paul McGann and they're all a nice bunch. Through my fanzine writing I've also been lucky enough to interview Terrance Dicks, Nicholas Briggs and Andrew Cartmel at one point or another as well. Haven't met any of the new series Doctors yet though I certainly hope to!

timdalton007
    Here's another one

They are pretty cool! Like the neon visual one a little more though!
    JamesPage wrote:

that is really impressive!

JamesPage wrote:
    Fan intro

Really that is so Star Wars, lets keep it British!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,894
    There are some really good fan titles on youtube. There to be a lot of 'what if' titles, such as 'what if Colin Baker had stayed on for series 24' and a 'what if series 27'.

This on is one of my favourites, though I think it would have been a bit beyond their budget at the time:

The ongoing "missing episodes returned" rumor has surfaced again:

http://www.kasterborous.com/2013/10/sunday-paper-claims-106-missing-episodes-found/

timdalton007
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 5,824
    And as usual, it's utter poppycock. More than a hundred episodes from a country that only aired the first two seasons ? At the very best, that would give us 11 episodes (the whole of Marco Polo, and the missing episodes of Reign of Terror and The Crusades). Not to mention that we heard the rumor of the "African film collector" before, since the 1990s. Don't believe any missing episodes news unless the BBC says so.

Oh, and by the way, 106 is the number of episodes that are missing. And one of them will never be found (The Feast of Steven, which was never put on film, and thus never exported or shown overseas).
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'll believe it when I see it. Who knows what will be announced in the coming months.

Meanwhile, in other news, the Christmas special has completed filming, so as far as production goes, we have a new Doctor. Series 8 begins filming in January.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It will be nice if I could look at my shelf and see the complete Troughton era on DVD, but as has been said, i'll wait for an official confirmation from the beeb.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Next Saturday and Sunday Watch are showing 2nd doc's tomb of the cybermen and a William Hartnell episode plus some documentaries.
    Apparently a press conference and screening has been called for Tuesday now:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/10/missing-eps-report-06102013211915.html

timdalton007
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,350
    However many we get, this is great news. I can't wait to see these stories. The Radio Times says some episodes, two stories I think, will be released digitally on Wednesday. Rumoured to be The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear.

Matt Smith on set with his Mum when filming wrapped over the weekend:

BV5UZX3IIAEzI_-.jpg
    Saw the very brief trailers on the BBC over the weekend! Really looking forward to seeing this!
    The missing episodes announcement has been delayed until the end of the week. Only four more days to go though.
    BBC News have now confirmed that a (currently unspecified) number of previously assumed missing Doctor Who episodes have now been returned to the BBC.

Entertainment correspondent Lizo Mzimba reports:

A number of early episodes of Doctor Who, which were believed to have been permanently lost, have been returned to the BBC.

BBC Worldwide is expected to confirm the find at a press conference in London later this week.

It follows weeks of speculation that some lost episodes had been located.

Details of how fans will be able to watch the recovered episodes are also expected to be revealed later this week.

So there seems to be some truth to new old episodes coming up soon!
    Press Conference announcing them is on Thursday.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 5,824
    That would be great. Right now, I've just bought the last three stories of the second season. Which means that now, I'm facing a sea of nothingness, with isolated islands of lost episodes scattered here and there. Yes, I have the "Lost in Time" set, but frankly, it offers only a tantalizing glimpse as to how good those episodes were (watched the two surviving episodes of The Crusades recently, and that made me regret that the rest is lost).

BTW, I'm wondering : should I buy the special editon of The Aztecs (which I already have the regular edition of) just to see the lone episode of Galaxy 4 ? I'm not made of money, you know. And here in France, I doubt I could sell the DVD I have.
    It may be best to wait and see if any more Galaxy 4 episodes turn up on Thursday. Even if it's one more, the rest will be animated no doubt. In fact, if enough are announced, maybe the rest of the missing ones will be animated, allowing us to have a complete set at last.

The special editon of The Aztecs is a much better quality picture anyway, so worth buying if you value that.
  • I'm excited to hear 'the missing episodes' rumours are more than just that and we will be getting to see Dr Who that we've never seen before (unless you are old enough to have watch them when originally broadcast) I hope some or all the the missing Dalek episodes have been found.
    This just in : Frazier Hines and Deborah Watling will take part in the press conference tomorrow. Which means that the found episodes are from Troughton's era. Good news !
    Anneke Wills (Polly) will also be in attendance tomorrow. It takes place from 3:30pm to 7:00pm UK time.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Anneke Wills (Polly) will also be in attendance tomorrow. It takes place from 3:30pm to 7:00pm UK time.

One way or another the day will bring great tidings for any Doctor WHo afficinado.
    The news from the conference will not be released until tomorrow (Friday). Looking forward to hearing official word on what's coming back to us very soon.