THE WIRE: Discussion, Appreciation, and Analysis

edited August 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,400
I realize the only discussions I've so far made are appreciation threads, but everything else I've wanted to start has already been done by someone else. Besides, this is a pretty important thread to have and I'm shocked nobody else has done it.

Ahh, The Wire. Is it a stretch to say that The Wire is the greatest work of anything ever made by anybody from any region of the planet at any point in history? Absolutely not, methinks.

I have never been engaged by anything, whether it be a film, a TV series, a video game, a book, or any other form of media that I've invested time into, like I've been engaged by The Wire. It truly is perfect television. Whether you take the third and fourth seasons, dealing with politics and schools respectively (and for my money, the two best seasons of television ever produced), the second season with the docks and stevedores (the third best season of TV ever and probably the show's most important, most blatant broadcast of what the show is trying to say), or the first and last seasons, our introduction and conclusion to a colossal saga which, no matter where on the planet you live, makes you know the city of Baltimore and makes you completely understand what life is like in the city that reads. Oh, and they're the fourth and fifth best seasons of television, too. Yup. The Wire's "worst" season (if there even is such a thing) is better than any other televison series' best.

Tell me. Am I wrong about this masterpiece? Or am I spot on? Discuss THE WIRE here, whether it be what makes Omar the biggest badass of all time, or why the newspaper storyline is underappreciated and vital to the show. Or just praise Bubbs, who's got to be the best-written drug addict ever. SPOILERS are sure to be rampant, so if you've never watched the show or are only partially through, PLEASE DO NOT READ ON FURTHER. You NEED to watch this show. It's only 60 episodes, and for 60 hours you will be engrossed in the city of B'more, whether or not you live in it or on the other side of the globe.

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Still my favourite television program of all time, I've seen it twice all the way through and I've no doubt another viewing is due soon.

I would undoubtedly say masterpiece and one of those shows that might not have got huge viewing figures but it's influence will continue to echo through TV for years to come, brilliantly acted, directed, written and conceived not a boring moment it kept me engrossed from beginning to end and it doesn't outstay it's welcome perfectly encapsulated in it's 5 seasons.

I could list great moments into the night but I always liked the way it didn't go down the cliched route and give the audience what they thought they wanted for instance the utterly brilliant Michael K Williams as Omar, I thought the handling of his fate was spot on and realistic, don't go in expecting people getting their just desserts or the good guys getting the bad guys it's not that kind of show.
    It is without a doubt, along with The Sopranos, the greatest television show of all time.
    The Wire is of excellence; blurring the line between the villains and the heroes. I often found myself rooting Stringer Bell, badass though he was. Mr. Idris Elba deserves a small statue for giving forth such a performance.
  • tqbtqb
    I live in Baltimore and still havent seen the wire yet :( It's on my list of things to do.
    It was about time there was a topic on the show and shame on me and all of us who watched it for not starting one sooner. Thanks to the OP. And my compliments, as it is the greatest show ever, bare none.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I've never seen it, though I've read people on here raving about it. I still have not much of an idea what it is though. Cop show? All about Baltimore? As in the U.S. ?? Yet Idris Elba was starring in it? Give me a brief (major spoiler free) rundown on what it is about and I'll then leave this thread until after I get a chance to watch The Wire (which means I will need to purchase the dvds). Can you please tell me a little more just now? Thanks.
    In a nutshell, The Wire is a Greek tragedy set in contemporary America. It goes way beyond the crime fiction genre it belongs and is about all aspects of urban life, with the heroin trade as background. It has cops that are not always good, some drug lords not completely evil. They all have their demons. I will write more later when I have time.
    @4EverBonded-In The Wire Idris Elba plays Stringer Bell, the second in command of the Barksdale Organization. He is the best friend of Avon Barksdale, said leader. Stringer Bell is a natural businessman, not shy of being ruthless, but never to the point of getting it in the way of business, as he is more eager to make money and legitimize the Barksdale Organization. He wants to move it, and himself, away from street level. Of course the tensions between his background and his ambitions will create conflict throughout the series. I don't want to give too much away, but he is a great, tragic character.

Now shall we talk about McNulty?
    I've just re-watched the first episode, except now my mom's along for the ride. She loved it. One episode in and she's already applauded. I can't wait for her to see the rest. It only gets better and I'm absolutely excited to watch it again.
    I've just re-watched the first episode, except now my mom's along for the ride. She loved it. One episode in and she's already applauded. I can't wait for her to see the rest. It only gets better and I'm absolutely excited to watch it again.

This reminds me: I need to watch it again.
  • RC7RC7
    It's as pertinent as Shakespeare for me. Mesmeric.
    In many ways it IS Shakespeare, or Greek tragedy, set in contemporary Baltimore. I find it not incidental that George Pelecanos was a writer and producer on the show.
    I absolutely loved this show. I do not subscribe to premium channels and a co-worker turned me on to it by loaning me the first season DVD's from that moment I was hooked. I quickly ran down to the video store and rented the other seasons as soon as they became avaliable.

I did not care for the third season much, but season 4 rivaled the great first season. Season 5 was not much to write home about but I did like the way they wrapped up the show and the characters. I feel that season 3 was just setting up for the supreb Season 4.

I do not even recall all the characters names but this show is tops and is a shining example of what quality TV is meant to be.
    I actually really loved season 3, but yes, if I had to choose season 4 would be the best.