Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Perdogg wrote:
    How would you all feel if Idris Elba were to be asked to be James Bond?

I personally think that a Black Bond is not a very good idea.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

I agree.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

I agree.

Good. I'm not racist or anything, but I just think it would be pointless Political Correctness for the sake of it! They should re-do Shaft. Wait, they did!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2013 Posts: 12,459
    There have been huge, long discussions on threads about pros/cons, views of a black Bond. Just in case you feel like reading and discussing that particular point.

For Idris, I only recently discovered him through renting the first 2 seasons of Luther. Not a big fan of the show, but I absolutely love him! I want to see more of his work. Can anyone recommend other tv shows or movies he has been in?
    There have been huge, long discussions on threads about pros/cons, views of a black Bond. Just in case you feel like reading and discussing that particular point.

For Idris, I only recently discovered him through renting the first 2 seasons of Luther. Not a big fan of the show, but I absolutely love him! I want to see more of his work. Can anyone recommend other tv shows or movies he has been in?

The Wire. Best TV drama ever, best role of Idris Elba so far.
    Oh good! I'll see where I can find it. Thanks!

I'd recommend The Wire to anyone who hasn't yet seen it.

I'd recommend The Wire to anyone who hasn't yet seen it.

And to everyone who has seen it to watch it again. And again. And again.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 1,661
    "Armie Hammer would be a good choice for Bond, give him a few years though."

Anyone with a name like that should *never* play James Bond! Such a silly sounding name. ;))

His real name is Armand Douglas Hammer - which sounds a bit more posh! "I say, Armand, can I have some more champagne and caviar. Oh, marvelous! You make such a good butler." :P
  • Hoult, hemsworth, and the geek killer chap from faster....I saw some footage of hemsworth in rush, hes awesome.
    Ludovico wrote:

Not to mention that Idris as Stringer was the most convincing American accent by a Brit of all time.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    We get this black Bond thing usually every ten years when the role changes and the media whip it up. Elba now, Salmon before.

Always, the role will go the most suitable actor. Elba will be too old, Colin Salmon before him was a charisma-free actor, so neither is or was suitable but not because of skin colour.

However in 2018 or 2020 who knows what non-white actor may be on the scene? I do know that the Daily Mail will start championing a black actor, Helen Mirren will bleat on about a female Bond (why won't the woman just go away?), and the producers will simply ignore it all and cast the right man for the role.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Look what I've found! The original 'cast the next Bond' thread:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/936/resurrecting-an-old-mi6-thread-casting-james-bond-7

Is it worth merging?
  • NicNac wrote:
    We get this black Bond thing usually every ten years when the role changes and the media whip it up. Elba now, Salmon before.

Always, the role will go the most suitable actor. Elba will be too old, Colin Salmon before him was a charisma-free actor, so neither is or was suitable but not because of skin colour.

However in 2018 or 2020 who knows what non-white actor may be on the scene? I do know that the Daily Mail will start championing a black actor, Helen Mirren will bleat on about a female Bond (why won't the woman just go away?), and the producers will simply ignore it all and cast the right man for the role.

Or non-gender specific asexual person.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Perdogg wrote:

I doubt it'll happen now but if it did I'd be over the moon. He's a brilliant actor and one of the coolest people on the planet. He'd make a great James Bond.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I think Elba will be too old for the role now, but other than that - YES. He would have been a great Bond, but I don't see him taking it over now.

I honestly don't see anyone on the near horizon. None of the actors mentioned recently on this thread really seem like a possible Bond to me.
  • RikRik Southend
    I think Adrian Paul could be a good choice, although time is not on his side.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 1,661
    Hand on heart, I can't think of one current actor, say, under 40, who I think is remotely James Bond-ish. I'm sure the worldwide public don't think that hence Craig's success in the part. Most of the time I don't think Craig is remotely James Bond-ish! Another 00 agent but not 007. But his Bond films have raked in the cash so that's the main thing. With enough marketing the next Bond actor should have similar success.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Care to elaborate on what's not Bondish about Craig's portrayal?
  • Seems The Mirror is reporting Tom Hardy is the bookie's favourite to replace Craig. Although, as a betting man myself, I never back the favourite. Strange how the day this story is posted, is in fact Tom's birthday...Strange? Coincidental?
    Still, I'm yet to be an established actor, so people haven't considered me yet:) He he he he.
    Ludovico wrote:

Not to mention that Idris as Stringer was the most convincing American accent by a Brit of all time.

And McNulty trying to sound British was the most convincing portrayal of an American trying to sound British but failing miserably.
    Seems The Mirror is reporting Tom Hardy is the bookie's favourite to replace Craig. Although, as a betting man myself, I never back the favourite. Strange how the day this story is posted, is in fact Tom's birthday...Strange? Coincidental?
    Still, I'm yet to be an established actor, so people haven't considered me yet:) He he he he.

Usually they go for a fairly known actor. Jude Law was the bookie's favourite at some point, it means nothing.
    Rik wrote:
    I think Adrian Paul could be a good choice, although time is not on his side.

Way too old now. He could have succeeded Dalton, but not Brosnan and certainly not Craig.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Something random I thought of today: I find it funny that the people saying actors in their late 30s will be too old when Craig leaves are often the same people saying Craig could carry on into his 50s.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Well they would be, to start. Unless you wanted a mid-late forty something actor to begin with.
    Something random I thought of today: I find it funny that the people saying actors in their late 30s will be too old when Craig leaves are often the same people saying Craig could carry on into his 50s.

I don't think Craig should carry on into his 50s. But if potential Bond actors are in their late 30s now means they would be in their mid forties when the role becomes available. And that means at the earliest. Since it takes now about three years between films, a Bond would need to be in their early to late thirties when cast.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Well they would be, to start. Unless you wanted a mid-late forty something actor to begin with.

I think it just depends on how well the actor ages. Timothy Dalton for example started in his late 40s and looked great, could have easily carried on for a good few years into his 50s.

So I think an actor carrying on into his 50s would depend on how well he ages. If an actor started in his mid 40s but looked good (like Dalton did), then I'd be fine having him carry on until he hits 55. But if an actor is in his mid 40s and is aging badly, then he's too old for it.

Craig is in his mid 40s now and I don't think he's aging very well. I can't see him carrying on past Bond 25 to be honest.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 14,855
    Dalton was actually in his early 40s playing Bond, and that was pretty much a limit IMO. And the problem with how well the actor ages is that we don't know when we cast him. Brosnan looked younger than he was in GE and TND, but he started ageing quickly, from TWINE. Something similar happened to Roger Moore: he looked younger than he was until MR, but suddenly in FYEO he looked like a man of his age. I think Craig is looking good now, I think he will for Bond 24, for Bond 25 who knows, but with a three years gap I think it might be pushing.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 2,598
    I'm a big fan of 'The Walking Dead' series and I can see Andrew Lincoln as James Bond. In case anyone isn't aware, he is English. This guy is 40 but looks good for his age. I haven't seen him in any roles where he's had to play a suave, charming man but one shouldn't under estimate an actor's versatility.