'Neither Seen Nor Heard - The Role of Children in the James Bond Films'

Comments

Cos it's a kids' movie really!

I loved TMWTGG when I saw it at age 11 - probably helped that I saw it at a cinema during its original release.
  • I like the elephant kid who appeared in TMWTGG during the boat chase. But Bond was a total sod to him though.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Agent003 wrote:
    I like the elephant kid who appeared in TMWTGG during the boat chase. But Bond was a total sod to him though.

Yes, agreed. The early Moore Bond was a cad and a bounder more than most...
    I am watching FRWL at the moment and there is an allusion to children: Tatiana mentions them when she is getting in her character of Caroline Somerset. I think she genuinely wanted to settle down with Bond and she was fantasizing about married life with him.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I am watching FRWL at the moment and there is an allusion to children: Tatiana mentions them when she is getting in her character of Caroline Somerset. I think she genuinely wanted to settle down with Bond and she was fantasizing about married life with him.

Indeed, another good one. Tracy Bond did the same just before she was killed in OHMSS.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Indeed, another good one. Tracy Bond did the same just before she was killed in OHMSS.

I always wondered what happened of Tatiana after the events of FRWL.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I always wondered what happened of Tatiana after the events of FRWL.

Yes, perfect for a short story that one.
    It seems in FRWL that Bond is allergic to children or the possibility of having them.
    Ludovico wrote:
    It seems in FRWL that Bond is allergic to children or the possibility of having them.

Well, he did go on to have one with Kissy Suzuki at the end of YOLT, later named as James Suzuki by the continuation authors.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 14,838
    But that is in the novels and under different circumstances. He's not even aware she is pregnant at the end the novel. But in any case, nothing of the sort happened in the movies.
    We don't need children in a Bond movie.
    The annoying begar in TMWTGG, the obnoxious kid that Tiffany tells to "Go blow up your pants" in DAF.
    Children for comic relief? Who needs them be it for comic relief or dramatic effect.

That is Steven Spielberg's thing. He seems to enjoy putting children in many of his films.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    We don't need children in a Bond movie.
    The annoying begar in TMWTGG, the obnoxious kid that Tiffany tells to "Go blow up your pants" in DAF.
    Children for comic relief? Who needs them be it for comic relief or dramatic effect.

That is Steven Spielberg's thing. He seems to enjoy putting children in many of his films.

As a child, what fascinated me watching Bond was partially the fact that it seemd such an adult and grownup world. The early Connery at least.
    Ludovico wrote:
    But that is in the novels and under different circumstances. He's not even aware she is pregnant at the end the novel. But in any case, nothing of the sort happened in the movies.

Oh, I am sorry - forgot this was only for the films there!
    I always wondered where Fleming wanted to go with that love child, by the way.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I always wondered where Fleming wanted to go with that love child, by the way.

Well, Raymond Benson gave an answer in 'Blast from the Past'.
    Yes, but I'm not convinced. My hypothesis is that Fleming was preparing a sort of end for Bond. Maybe not his death but his retirement.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Yes, but I'm not convinced. My hypothesis is that Fleming was preparing a sort of end for Bond. Maybe not his death but his retirement.

And his moving on to M's job? It's a pet theory of mine, that one.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 2,896
    Gerard wrote:
    There's one reason why there are no kids in Bond : Let's remember that Fleming wrote them as his own escape fantasy after he had married his mistress and gotten a child by her, as a way t relive his bachelor days, so to speak. Bond is a fantasy for bachelors or for married men who wish they still are bachelors. At least, that's my theory.

I think your theory is correct. Children represent the sort of domesticity that has no place in Bond's world. Not only are there no children in Fleming, there are no housewives or mothers either. We're told Tracy had a child, but it's dead by the time Bond meets Tracy. One of the more feminist aspects of the Bond books and films is that women aren't tied down by domestic matters and families. They have sexual freedom, and in this world nobody needs to worry about children.
    Though Bond gets Kissy pregnant, he doesn't know of the child. If Bond had children, it would be the end of his adventures--he would know he had loved ones waiting for him at home, he would worry what would happen to them if he got killed. He would probably give up field work.
    Children and motherhood cannot be allowed to infect Bond's world. They would remind Bond of a fulfillment he can never have.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,810
    Revelator wrote:
    Gerard wrote:
    There's one reason why there are no kids in Bond : Let's remember that Fleming wrote them as his own escape fantasy after he had married his mistress and gotten a child by her, as a way t relive his bachelor days, so to speak. Bond is a fantasy for bachelors or for married men who wish they still are bachelors. At least, that's my theory.

I think your theory is correct. Children represent the sort of domesticity that has no place in Bond's world. Not only are there no children in Fleming, there are no housewives or mothers either. We're told Tracy had a child, but it's dead by the time Bond meets Tracy. One of the more feminist aspects of the Bond books and films is that women aren't tied down by domestic matters and families. They have sexual freedom, and in this world nobody needs to worry about children.
    Though Bond gets Kissy pregnant, he doesn't know of the child. If Bond had children, it would be the end of his adventures--he would know he had loved ones waiting for him at home, he would worry what would happen to them if he got killed. He would probably give up field work.
    Children and motherhood cannot be allowed to infect Bond's world. They would remind Bond of a life he is exiled from.

True, and let Ian Fleming was a doting father to his son Caspar and was very protective of him. There was a great play broadcast on BBC Radio 4 in January 2006 called "From Father with Love" that dealt with this very subject.
    Bumping for posterity and relevance.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Noones mentioned the children at the circus in Octopussy?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    While not going into specifics I believe children were featured in 4 Bond films. from DAF to TSWLM.
    Apologies for the plug but the script I'm working on at the moment involves a boy/man of 16/17 who is out to kill Bond as an act of revenge. I think its interesting to explore the theme of when a boy becomes a man (and therefore, what it takes to be a man) and the limitations of the double O licence when it comes to dealing with a 17 year old killer plus Bond's own feelings on how to deal with the situation and would he feel any emotion for a confused and angry 17 year old who was out to kill him.

As for Bond having a kid of his own?...........please , no!!
    patb wrote: »
    Apologies for the plug but the script I'm working on at the moment involves a boy/man of 16/17 who is out to kill Bond as an act of revenge. I think its interesting to explore the theme of when a boy becomes a man (and therefore, what it takes to be a man) and the limitations of the double O licence when it comes to dealing with a 17 year old killer plus Bond's own feelings on how to deal with the situation and would he feel any emotion for a confused and angry 17 year old who was out to kill him.

Interesting, what's the boy's motivation for revenge?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is his name Mr. Kid?
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    patb wrote: »

Interesting, what's the boy's motivation for revenge?

check your PM

Birdleson wrote: »
    OHMSS, LTK, OP, TND, CR, QOS, H&G, too. Probably more.

Am I missing something obvious here? What's H&G?

Oh yes, great little skit that! Apart from the fake waving
    Yes but I don't get why the waving looks so fake? Doesn't exactly require a stuntman to get people to wave? Even the dog rolling over looks weird
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @BondJasonBond006, here is the thread you are looking for.