Lone Ranger

oo7oo7
edited October 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,068
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aqYQxz-tNyA?version=3&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aqYQxz-tNyA?version=3&hl=en_GB"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Comments

• OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I have to say I like the evocative imagery and the description of the railways changing time and space like nothing before it (I'd never thought of it that way - the world became a whole lot smaller when the train arrived) but I can't get over Johnny Depp in this role. I have faith that in time it will be addressed, but right now I don't know why he's playing a traditionally Native American role.

The action looks cool, but I'd be more intrigued if it wasn't an adaption, but a totally new IP.

Still, Rango rocked so I'm hoping Verbinski and Depp pull it out of the bag again :)
    Certainly didn't expect it to look like this? But will most likely go see the film?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I get the feeling this film won't do very well. It looks alright. More soon I guess.
    I have to say I like the evocative imagery and the description of the railways changing time and space like nothing before it
    That is indeed intriguing, also because it reminds of Once upon a Time in the West. But the Bruckheimer logo seemingly taking one third of the whole teaser makes it look somehow pretentious. Otherwise I find that teaser pretty bland.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I love Depp and Verbinski and I grew up watching old episodes of Lone Ranger on TV but I didn't like the look of this much :(
    Depp has Native American blood. For the chap who doubted why he was playing such a role.

He's also the best actor on the planet, so I'm sure he'll be superb. That doesn't mean the white man with the silly name will be any good.. ;)
  • I get the feeling this is an excellent trailer for what will be a mediocre film. I add kudos to Verbinski and Depp for making something that seems actually different to the token reprisal of the Pirates of the Caribbean formula - and yet it is probably Depp that will draw in the crowds to Lone Ranger. But judging from the trailer, Depp is on form in this character - perhaps the character of Tonto is close to his heart (e.g. as Hunter S. Thompson was) and so he has put more acting into the role, rather than just putting on a fuzzy wig ala the Mad Hatter and just acting like Jack Sparrow on crystal meth. Hopefully the similarities with 'Wild Wild West' (Will Smith and co) will not be many - I already see that there is a bad guy with some kind of doomsday weapon that tonto and lone ranger must take on from the trailer!
    lewisblake wrote:
    rather than just putting on a fuzzy wig ala the Mad Hatter and just acting like Jack Sparrow on crystal meth.
    This made me laugh a lot.. :)
  • oo7oo7
    Did anyone see this?
  • Yes, it was great!!
  • Doest it look like a lovely, charming film? Is it uplifting or just noisy crash bang wallop stuff?
    Well? I was considering going to see it? But after seeing more clips, especially the whole horse galloping through train carriages? I have changed my mind and will spend the hard earned cash on something else.
    I'm so glad to finally see a Verbinski/Depp film deservedly flop at the box office. It was bad enough we had to suffer four Pirates movies (and a fifth one is on the way) which made a staggering $4 billion, but to see Depp in yet another "quirky" role, is quite frankly making my head spin. I would rather spend three hours of my life eating my own fist.
    Mr. Depp shone brightly in the role of Tonto; acting to perfection the desolation of the abandoned North American Native. Armie Hammer redeemed himself in a performance of double the strength as before, ensuring his stature in Hollywood for years to come. This is surely a piece of cinema that will become ensnared in the anals of history.

A
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,432
    From trailers i have seen looks mediocre, will wait till its out on Bluray if i am bored one evening.
  • Richardo, are you something of a troll then?
    Richardo, are you something of a troll then?

The answer is yes.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I took my son to see this a couple of weeks ago. We had seen the disappointing Man Of Steel earlier that week, and I had wanted to see The Lone Ranger at that time. My son was not interested in seeing TLR. However I talked him into it.
    All I can say is that we both thoroughly enjoyed it. It gave me a couple of hours entertainment and plenty of laughs.
    Several of my workmates have also seen it, and we are all perplexed as to why it is getting such a harsh rap.
    It's no Shawshank Redemption or Godfather, but it does what it supposed to do. Entertain.
    If you are a fan of the Pirates movies (and my son and I are) then you'll probably like this.
  • Is it a nice, charming kind of film? Could you take your grandmother to it, or is it fairly dark? Does it look good on screen generally?
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 78
    I loved it, Depp is a kickass. It's not dark, it's very bright, you can see it's happening.

:-bd