From Russia With Love Appreciation

Comments

• edited September 2012 Posts: 144
    Daniela_Bianchi.jpg
  • This is the first part of my three favorite Bonds, and make a fantastic trilogy along with Goldfinger and Thunderball.

Russia's a great, Hitchcockian-style spy story, Goldfinger is a stylish thriller and Thunderball is a sprawling, brawny spectacle.
  • From Russia With Love is such a classic Bond film!
  • Great film. Not my favorite but good stuff. Beautiful to look at and classic fight between Bond and Grant still packs a punch to this day.
  • Probably the only James Bond release oscar worthy some say and James Bond as close to the Fleming characterization that you may get. Connery at his supreme best, and there hasn't been as truly as good a performance since except the Dalton appearances and maybe Craig in CR. I never thought much of Bianchi as the main girl, but she did OK, and Shaw and Lenya are quite magnificent adversaries. Connery was almost unrecognizable as Bond in the subsequent release but here at least, it was a performance of superlatives and all round classic adventure
    It's a strange film for me because I never get "urges" to watch to like I do other Bond films and yet when I actually do watch it I sit there thinking "why don't I watch this more often, it's BRILLIANT"!

Ralph Fiennes summed it up perfectly at the Premiere when asked what his favourite Bond movie was - "From Russia With Love, because of its fidelity to the book" - what a superb turn of phrase!
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    The most erotic scene in my opinion comes from this film. Actually it's not really a scene. It's the close-up shot of Tatiana's lips(yes, from her mouth), while her tongue gently touches her teeth. Its so simple, but a the same time effective en very sexy
    there is a current tendency to call Skyfall the best 007 movie ever, imho only by those that have not seen this outing of Sean "the true 007" Connery and a fabolous story as written by Fleming and enhanced by Broccoli & Saltzman for the big screen.
    This movie has some much going on and is such an original even today that you must be an utter non-Bondfan not recognizing the greatness presented in this movie.
    I always thought of FRWL to be a great paranoid espionage thriller. In the film all the characters seem not to trust each other and throughout the movie someone seems to be constantly tailing someone else.

Do we consider this apt description of the film? I've always thought this but I was recently looking up paranoia and it seems to suggest that it has more to do with an irrational base. But to me all the paranoia in FRWL seems to come from a very rational place. Nonetheless i still feel that FRWL to this day remains the perfect definition of a paranoid espionage thriller.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    FRWL is a masterpiece. It will always be the best film the series, before the mainstream goofiness of GF became the standard.
    FRWL is a masterpiece. It will always be the best film the series, before the mainstream goofiness of GF became the standard.

Would you agree that movie is a rather paranoid affair? With all the characters being suspicious of each other and with everyone tailing each other throughout. Ive always felt this, especially with scenes of Bond being watched at the airport, checking his hotel rooms and the mere fact that the big bad's face never gets revealed. It's pure espionage storytelling at it's best.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Definately. There's this aspect in DN as well, I think.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Would you agree that movie is a rather paranoid affair? With all the characters being suspicious of each other and with everyone tailing each other throughout. Ive always felt this, especially with scenes of Bond being watched at the airport, checking his hotel rooms and the mere fact that the big bad's face never gets revealed. It's pure espionage storytelling at it's best.
    Definately. There's this aspect in DN as well, I think.

I love when Bond checks his rooms for bugs. We see it again in OHMSS when Bond does a once over in his Piz Gloria room, but after the early Connery era and the 69 effort it seems to be a lost piece of the films that I miss dearly. I would love for Dan's Bond to check his room for a device of some sort, as a sort of call back to the classic films.

Here are some interesting critical articles on the film that may prove worth while for some:
    http://theincrediblesuit.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/blogalongabond-2-from-russia-with-love.html
    http://commentdecine.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/from-russia-with-love-spies-spy-on-spies/
    https://moviefilmreviews.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/retrospective-from-russia-with-love-1963/#more-1253

However, paranoia in its general definition means: 'Suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification', but it seems to be me that Bond and all the other characters have sufficient evidence to chase the enemy. I suppose this is probably the justification as to why the cold war went on for so long.
    http://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung-correspondents/from-russia-with-love-in-the-bond-canon

Here's an interesting analysis of the film over at Roger Ebert's site.
    From Russia With Love is no doubt a class its own. Therefore, that Connery is classic; and whatnot. Regardless, it is understood as well that film making technique (cinematography, music) had not attained the level of 2013 in 1963. Thus, whilst FRWL may be a classic, it isn't the best (my favourite).
    http://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung-correspondents/from-russia-with-love-in-the-bond-canon

Here's an interesting analysis of the film over at Roger Ebert's site.

Interesting, although I disagree with Ebert about GF being better: IMO FRWL is by far the best Bond. Ever, actually. It is certainly the most intelligent.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 418
    It's a classic, and in my opinion, the best Bond film of them all. Sean was perfect, Daniela Bianchi is one of my favourite Bond girls, Robert Shaw remains one of the best ever henchmen, great song, lovley locations, and Lotte Lenya gives a brilliant performance as evil and creepy Rosa Klebb. 10/10
    Zorin61 wrote:
    It's a classic, and in my opinion, the best Bond film of them all. Sean was perfect, Daniela Bianchi is one of my favourite Bond girls, Robert Shaw remains one of the best ever henchmen, great song, lovley locations, and Lotte Lenya gives a brilliant performance as evil and creepy Rosa Klebb. 10/10
    I agree with you although, despite classic status, FRWL cannot hold a candelabra to the modern Bond pictures.
    Richardo wrote:
    Zorin61 wrote:
    I agree with you although, despite classic status, FRWL cannot hold a candelabra to the modern Bond pictures.

And your reasons for this would be?...
    @WillyGalore- perhaps the same reason you keep hounding me.
    Because you're speaking utter drivel on here
    You are the second member to level that accusation at me, @WillyGalore. Do not think that "coincidence" will go unnoticed by the mods.
    Yes and I would have thought that if i'm the second person to have to pointed that out to you, you would have taken some notice.

If you want to make wild assertions like "FRWL doesn't hold a candle to modern Bond films" then you should back it up with your reasons why.
    @WillysGalore I have begun spellchecking my posts.

As for my reasons: http://mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/260493#Comment_260493

Thanks for your interest. Move along, little troll man.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Richardo wrote:

Speak for yourself friendo.

Murdock wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

Speak for yourself friendo.

Yes, I think the irony of his last comment has been totally lost on him
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Richardo wrote:
    @WillysGalore I have begun spellchecking my posts.

As for my reasons: http://mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/260493#Comment_260493

Are these actual reasons? Seem more like incoherent ramblings to me or, to coin the term du jour, drivel.
    @WillyGalore, @Murdock, @WizardOfIce, I will not be engaging with any of you gentlemen any further. You seem hell-intent on baiting me. This ends now, your choice of insult be "drivel" or otherwise.
    Is it surprising that the very best of Fleming's novels (FRWL,OHMSS,CR & Dr.No) made the best films?
    Many others failed to achieve greatness because they deviated way too fare.
    Now that eon are creating their own, strongly Flemingesque, plots a la 'Skyfall' - the future looks great. Particularly with the great Mr.Mendes at the helm.