"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Football is dreary - overpaid idiots and over here. It's a disgrace how much money these players are paid in a week when compared with the pay of the common man. Will anything ever be done to redress the balance? I can't see it, really.

What are you American? Or English I think they get payed too much like Yaya Toure gets paid like 200k a week! He's either not in the squad at all or is an unused sub.

No nationalities please. Plus, I have a point here, I think.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Football is dreary - overpaid idiots and over here. It's a disgrace how much money these players are paid in a week when compared with the pay of the common man. Will anything ever be done to redress the balance? I can't see it, really.

What are you American? Or English I think they get payed too much like Yaya Toure gets paid like 200k a week! He's either not in the squad at all or is an unused sub.

No nationalities please. Plus, I have a point here, I think.
    You do so have I , look what I said about Yaya Toure.
    Still some of the most paid sportsmen are not the footballplayers but some of the American Football players.

I find that players like Messi do get paid for wht he is worth perhaps not enough.

I prefer the football over American Football any day of the week and on matchdays multiple times more.

What I most dislike is the violence that seems to be part of the football these days and how much society has to pay for it to keep it safe. When other sports seem to have very little problems with violence linked to their sports. Perhaps the neanderthalers are drawn more to football than the more skillfull other sports. O:-)
  • Chicken...salad...nutmeg...socks...fumes...planets...teabags
    Tomorrow the premier league fixtures come out excited to see who we get! 9 am 405 Sky Sports News be there!
    Tomorrow the premier league fixtures come out excited to see who we get! 9 am 405 Sky Sports News be there!

Hell yes! Getting ready for another interesting season no doubt! Won't see them until after lunch due to being at work.
    RogueAgent wrote:

Hell yes! Getting ready for another interesting season no doubt! Won't see them until after lunch due to being at work.
    We got Chelsea away! I really want to go!

Man U at home - tough start good ending to season
    largo2 wrote:
    Man U at home - tough start good ending to season

When are we playing you? Not had a chance to look at all of them , we're going to thrash you if we sign Allan McGregor or Gedo on a permanent after signing George Boyd.
    I hope us Norwich boys have more than 40 points after 34 games!!! As our last 4 games are a nightmare run in!!!! X_X
    Anybody else watch the Confederations Cup? That was an entertaining tournament. Yowza.
    jackdagger wrote:
    Anybody else watch the Confederations Cup? That was an entertaining tournament. Yowza.

Yes it was a great tournament.Some great goals were scored.

Can't wait for the premier league to start.

• edited July 2013 Posts: 44
    As a Newcastle United fan I am a bit concerned by the lack of signings as yet. I really hope Pardew and Kinnear can work together for the benefit of the team.
    saxby wrote:
    As a Newcastle United fan I am a bit concerned by the lack of signings as yet. I really hope Pardew and Kinnear can work together for the benefit of the team.

Pardew and Kinnear - what is Ashley thinking of? This is not going to end well.
    July 1st is here footballers reporting back for pre season and the transfer speculation ramps up - not long now until the new season, can not wait apart from the new strip which looks bloody bad!
    As much as I am looking forward to seeing Mourinho stir things up? I hope he does not get his hands on our goalkeeper John Ruddy! I certainly didn't see that coming!
  • Predictions anyone:

PL top four.

Liverpool.
    Arse.
    Utd.
    City.

Bottom four.

Chelsea
    Everton
    Spurs
    Newcastle.

1st manager to be sacked or resign: pardew.

FA cup winner. Liverpool.
    League cup winners. Utd.

Pl winners. Liverpool.

Predictions anyone:

PL top four.

Liverpool.
    Arse.
    Utd.
    City.

Bottom four.

Chelsea
    Everton
    Spurs
    Newcastle.

League cup winners. Utd.

Pl winners. Liverpool.

Deluded = you. Without a doubt Liverpool will do really well this coming season and if they exceed all expectations they even may finish ahead of Hull.
    Predictions anyone:

PL top four.

Liverpool.
    Arse.
    Utd.
    City.

Bottom four.

Chelsea
    Everton
    Spurs
    Newcastle.

League cup winners. Utd.

Pl winners. Liverpool.

Deluded = you. Without a doubt Liverpool will do really well this coming season and if they exceed all expectations they even may finish ahead of Hull.

Hull is a hull of a club. :)
    Liverpools squad is improving all the time.
    It will be interesting to see man u without fergie, or is he still the background manager?

001 wrote:
    Predictions anyone:

PL top four.

Liverpool.
    Arse.
    Utd.
    City.

Bottom four.

Chelsea
    Everton
    Spurs
    Newcastle.

League cup winners. Utd.

Pl winners. Liverpool.

Hull is a hull of a club. :)
    Liverpools squad is improving all the time.
    It will be interesting to see man u without fergie, or is he still the background manager?

I think you might get good odds on Pardew being the first manager to go. If we start off badly the presure will really be on. :(
  • I would have put Liverpool winning the CL but couldn't figure out a way of forcing the issue. Of course I'm deluded, all fans are at the beginning of the season. Lol.

However I'm not as deluded as JK, the Geordies deserve a bit better than him.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Of course I'm deluded, all fans are at the beginning of the season. Lol.

Speak for yourself.

If we keep Suarez then I would say we have a decent shout of 4th but obviously he's on his way so we are in reality fighting it out with Everton, Spurs and (you heard it here first folks) Villa for the Europa league slot.

I just can't see how we can get back amongst the top clubs with the current recruitment policy. 6m for a striker? That's a big purchase in the championship but a striker worth only that much at Liverpool should be lucky if he gets more than 5 appearances. If Suarez goes I have absolutely zero confidence the 45m we will get will be spent on a proven striker - and even if it was who will come to us of that quality? Anfield us no place to go if you value your career. Suarez has woken up to that and Coutinho won't be far behind. He'll be gone by next summer if not in Jan.

And then after watching Liverpool continue to metamorphosise into the definition of mod table medicority all season we have the World Cup and enjoying watching a plodding, technically inept England's labours.

Can't remember a season with lower expectation. I currently regard Liverpool 5th and England to get out of the group as success - anything more is a massive bonus.
  • Of course I'm deluded, all fans are at the beginning of the season. Lol.

Speak for yourself.

If we keep Suarez then I would say we have a decent shout of 4th but obviously he's on his way so we are in reality fighting it out with Everton, Spurs and (you heard it here first folks) Villa for the Europa league slot.

I just can't see how we can get back amongst the top clubs with the current recruitment policy. 6m for a striker? That's a big purchase in the championship but a striker worth only that much at Liverpool should be lucky if he gets more than 5 appearances. If Suarez goes I have absolutely zero confidence the 45m we will get will be spent on a proven striker - and even if it was who will come to us of that quality? Anfield us no place to go if you value your career. Suarez has woken up to that and Coutinho won't be far behind. He'll be gone by next summer if not in Jan.

And then after watching Liverpool continue to metamorphosise into the definition of mod table medicority all season we have the World Cup and enjoying watching a plodding, technically inept England's labours.

Can't remember a season with lower expectation. I currently regard Liverpool 5th and England to get out of the group as success - anything more is a massive bonus.

you're a bit too positive you should lower your expectations....stuff Suarez, if he doesn't want to be at one of the greatest clubs in the world then he can go.

I'd grab Tom Ince now get Mata and Ba. We will then be sorted. And of course bring Alonso back.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2013 Posts: 9,117

Speak for yourself.

you're a bit too positive you should lower your expectations....stuff Suarez, if he doesn't want to be at one of the greatest clubs in the world then he can go.

I'd grab Tom Ince now get Mata and Ba. We will then be sorted. And of course bring Alonso back.

There's delusion and then there's the bloke who thinks Mata will come to piss his career away alongside Borini and Downing.

Take away Suarez's goals last season and we'd have been in a relegation dogfight. Where is the evidence that 6m superstar Aspas is going
    to fill that hole?
    edited July 2013 Posts: 1,575

Speak for yourself.

No player is bigger than the club.
    If suarez goes it's not the end of the world.
    Sturridge is almost as good if as good as suarez.

Swansea for fa cup league cup and premiership title [-O<
  • largo2 wrote:
    Swansea for fa cup league cup and premiership title [-O<

Yes Shelby is the missing player you always needed....

;)
    As a Norwich fan I will be happy with survival! [-O< lol
    RogueAgent wrote:
    As a Norwich fan I will be happy with survival! [-O< lol

That's fair enough.
    There's delusion and then there's the bloke who thinks Mata will come to piss his career away alongside Borini and Downing.

Maybe we'll get lucky and we can offload Downing to Newcastle. ;))

Honestly, I feel for the Geordies. They were the first professional game I ever saw (vs. Everton, of all teams) and regardless of his lack of commentary skills, I will always admire Alan Shearer. But they've been a bit of a joke since Ashley took over, haven't they? The Kinnear Saga, Part One, that saw Shearer step in, too inexperienced and too late (the points were still there for the taking to save them from relegation, but most of the players were already thinking of the summer). Bringing in Chris Houghton seemed like a good idea... only to see him replaced by Alan Pardew. Who was given an EIGHT year contract?! (Though I've read they'll only have to pay him one year's salary if they fire him before the contract is up.) Changing the name of St.James' Park? Then changing it back again? Picking up Wonga dot com-one of the largest, what I call legalized loan sharks- as a shirt sponsor?

And, of course, The Kinnear Saga, Part Two. A man whose interviews are only good for a laugh and for playing "spot the truth", because the majority of the interviews are fabrications, exaggerations, and some outright lies. He's just vetoed a free transfer of Twente defender, Douglas, because he had never heard of him. Newcastle had been linked with him for over a year. That's just the start, it seems. If Newcastle has a bad patch at the start, I've got money on Kinnear stepping in as manager before December.