Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited June 2013 Posts: 1,661
    If Cavill ever got to be Bond he might have Timothy Dalton's hairstyle from The Living Daylights. I found a recent photo of Cavill - I think it was from the 2013 BAFTAS. His hair is almost identical to this shot of Dalton's - although the top of their falls on alternate sides:

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/211/05062013234748.jpg

Perhaps Henry goes to Tim's hairdresser? :D Spooky similarity in the hair.
  • fanbond123 wrote:
    If Cavill ever got to be Bond he might have Timothy Dalton's hairstyle from The Living Daylights. I found a recent photo of Cavill - I think it was from the 2013 BAFTAS. His hair is almost identical to this shot of Dalton's - although the top of their falls on alternate sides:

Let's just hope he doesn't move to the Licence to Kill hairstyle next.
    fanbond123 wrote:

Let's just hope he doesn't move to the Licence to Kill hairstyle next.

I don't think you'll have to worry about Cavill because he will be too busy playing Napoleon Solo now that he's confirmed his deal to star in "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.".
    Personally speaking, if the next Bond actor has a bit of Matt 'Doctor Who' Smith's charisma combined with the machismo of some handsome guy (can't think who but I'm sure people can think of someone!) that would make for an interesting Bond actor 7.

When Craig retires it would be nice to go with a different sort of James Bond. I don't think Craig version 2 - if he's out there waiting to be be found - would be the way to go although Eon did try to find Connery version 2 when they cast George Lazenby.

Some reviews have mentioned Henry Cavill's Superman is a bit charisma-free. I don't think Henry Cavill would make a good Doctor (Who) but Matt Smith doesn't really look much like James Bond so ideally you want to find someone with a bit of Matt's acting oomph combined with Henry Cavill's sort of look - although I think Pierce Brosnan (back in his prime) looked more like James Bond than Mr Cavill. Brosnan's face and smug confidence made him destined to get the part. Henry seems much more humble than Pierce making him (Cavill) seem a right fit for Clark Kent.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,400
    A young Terence Stamp could have been very interesting indeed. He has a very creepy and menacing presence much akin to Daniel Craig, but I think the Bond of yesteryear (the more Sean Connery-esque actors) would not have been a correct match for Stamp. Remember when Craig was first cast people were appalled and said he looked more like the villain then the hero, and that partially was the genius in his casting.

As for Bond 7, here are my picks:

Tom Hardy
    05ac4a60e907.jpg

Joel Edgerton
    710291-1_mp.jpg

Luke Evans
    Luke+Evans+Fast+Furious+6+Premieres+London+cYAqHUpGXn4l.jpg

Michael Fassbender
    fassbender.jpg

Benedict Cumberbatch
    858911_LUJK2S6NYS8HQWQTNQVO62D3SVC5TD_baftas-2012-benedict-cumberbatch_H112228_L.jpg

Cillian Murphy
    Premiere+Warner+Bros+Inception+Arrivals+RHDlrOwI4QUl.jpg

• hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    A young Terence Stamp could have been very interesting indeed. He has a very creepy and menacing presence much akin to Daniel Craig, but I think the Bond of yesteryear (the more Sean Connery-esque actors) would not have been a correct match for Stamp. Remember when Craig was first cast people were appalled and said he looked more like the villain then the hero, and that partially was the genius in his casting.

As for Bond 7, here are my picks:

Tom Hardy
    05ac4a60e907.jpg

Joel Edgerton
    710291-1_mp.jpg

Luke Evans
    Luke+Evans+Fast+Furious+6+Premieres+London+cYAqHUpGXn4l.jpg

Michael Fassbender
    fassbender.jpg

Benedict Cumberbatch
    858911_LUJK2S6NYS8HQWQTNQVO62D3SVC5TD_baftas-2012-benedict-cumberbatch_H112228_L.jpg

Cillian Murphy
    Premiere+Warner+Bros+Inception+Arrivals+RHDlrOwI4QUl.jpg

Not Cillian.
    Lol I was about to say the same thing. Very boyish looking
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 14,842
    Make that three. Cillian Murphy is a fine actor, but he looks way too effeminate. Perfect for a creepy Kronsteen-like villain, but not for Bond.
    I think his creepy look would work wonders in the part. He has an intense presence which makes him very watchable. Similar to Craig, when he's on screen he just draws your eye. In Craig's case it's his craggy brutal face and with Cillian it's those eyes and cheekbones. If he bulked up for the role he could really pull it off.

Other suggestions:

Toby Kebbell
    Toby%20Kebbell-MSA-001512.jpg

Matthew McNulty
    tumblr_lup7g35W2x1qc6fgbo1_500.png

I know its a long shot, but he'd be fantastic....

Leonardo Dicaprio
    Leonardo-DiCaprio-Golden-Globes-2013.jpg
  • DiCaprio's almost 40 and he's American. He is definitely not happening. Kebbell has kind of a foreign look to me, I'm not so sure if he'd work.

Side note: I have no idea when Cumberbatch and Murphy became handsome.
    Leo Dicaprio? LOL Isn't he American? And too rich and famous and made that film about some ship sinking that lasted about four hours.

How about we just put up a list of every current American actor in existence and hope one of them can do a Brit accent.

:P

Cillian Murphy's got nice eyes but overall he looks about as Bondian as a goldfish! Unless he's the most amazing actor ever and can make people believe he is a ruthless yet charming secret agent, I can't see him being right for the part. Mr unknown actor - reveal yourself and make people excited that you might be the next James Bond!
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,310
    No way to DiCaprio, but it's obvious that ain't happening. Like many of you have stated, Cillian Murphy is a fine actor and may one day make a creepy villain/henchman, but he's not right for Bond.

Joel Edgerton is going to be too old by the time Danny steps down, though he is a mighty fine actor. I haven't heard his name thrown around, but he is for sure an interesting choice.

Benedict Cumberbatch is fantastic actor, but is too bizarre looking for Bond.

Luke Evans seems like a possible option. I can't get past the fact he looks very similar to Orlando Bloom, but shave that mustache stubble off that picture posted and he has the right look. He hasn't been in anything too impressive thus far, though.

Naturally, much has been said about Fassbender and Hardy. Both are great actors and would likely be at least good in the role, but I somehow don't think either will get the part. I still think the choice is going to come from under our noses....
    I do agree, the next Bond will be a name yet discussed. Look back to 2005, the big obvious names were the Hugh Jackman, Clive Owen, Ewan McGregor types. What we ended up with was an actor no one was really talking about till his name emerged as a contender and even then he divided his critics. I can see why, this guy didn't look like Bond:
    wenn_1832335.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJZ4FTLYXN7EZ7CIQ&Expires=1371553395&Signature=j4XaR3Vak72cIEmN4qWcz1z%2BJKA%3D

He looked more suited to play the bad guy, especially when looking at Craig's work at that point; he had carved a market in playing intense-slightly-crazed characters. It's one of the reasons I think Cillian is at least worth a screentest.

As far as DiCapro goes, I know he's a long shot, but I think there is a possibilty that the prods may change tact next time and hire a big name actor in the knowledge that they will stay for maybe 2 films and move on. I quite like that idea. And an American can play Bond, Cubby thought so he cast John Gavin and was inches away from giving James Brolin the part.
    The thing is if Craig does two more Bond films we could be waiting six years before there is any realistic chance of a new actor taking the part. We have to add six years to all the actors being mentioned. A lot can happen in six years. Some of these actors will be too old (relatively speaking) or too well-established and within six years a new batch of young actors will, fingers crossed, appear on the scene. There is going to be a total unknown making some impact be it on tv or in film. And who knows, Craig might do three more Bond films!!!! But that does seem unlikely. The studio would most likely want a new actor by then to keep the franchise fresh.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Fassbender all the way.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I can't stop laughing at the DiCaprio suggestion.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    DiCaprio himself has also said it isn't for him, saying Daniel is great for the part.
    Being Bond is something that tends to have a long history for those involved. Moore, Dalton and Brosnan were all mooted for the role years before they finally became Bond, for whatever reason and that is why I firmly believe that once Craig hands in the PPK, that Henry Cavill WILL be the next Bond. He's just 30 now and this means he will be mid 30's at most by this time which is an ideal age for him now as he was obviously too young before.
    This should also give him time to get rid of all the Superman and U.N.C.L.E baggage by then as well.
  • TRSTN1TRSTN1 Tokio,North Dakota U.S.A
    Scott Adkins
    I do agree, the next Bond will be a name yet discussed. Look back to 2005, the big obvious names were the Hugh Jackman, Clive Owen, Ewan McGregor types. What we ended up with was an actor no one was really talking about till his name emerged as a contender and even then he divided his critics. I can see why, this guy didn't look like Bond:
    wenn_1832335.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJZ4FTLYXN7EZ7CIQ&Expires=1371553395&Signature=j4XaR3Vak72cIEmN4qWcz1z%2BJKA%3D

He looked more suited to play the bad guy, especially when looking at Craig's work at that point; he had carved a market in playing intense-slightly-crazed characters. It's one of the reasons I think Cillian is at least worth a screentest.

As far as DiCapro goes, I know he's a long shot, but I think there is a possibilty that the prods may change tact next time and hire a big name actor in the knowledge that they will stay for maybe 2 films and move on. I quite like that idea. And an American can play Bond, Cubby thought so he cast John Gavin and was inches away from giving James Brolin the part.

He looks like Daniel Craig or a relative of his. =))
    Even if di Caprio had been born and grew up in England... He is nearly 40. No way he would be able to succeed to Craig. And he is of course too famous. Cubby may have considered American actors, but that was at a time when the franchise was still relatively young.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Too old and too famous yes but I don't get the nationality argument.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Even if di Caprio had been born and grew up in England

Just like Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery, George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton :))
    Ludovico wrote:
    Cubby may have considered American actors, but that was at a time when the franchise was still relatively young.

Nothing wrong with an American imo as long as he can do a good accent (I'm English for the record).

Bond was (we assume) originally English until Connery was cast and Fleming wrote the Scottish backstory. Even since then we've had Dalton (Welsh), Brosnan (Irish) and Lazenby (Australian).
    Too old and too famous yes but I don't get the nationality argument.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Even if di Caprio had been born and grew up in England

Just like Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery, George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton :))

I could have written in the UK. As far as I remember, Scotland and Wales are still part of it. Connery and Dalton are still British. Yes, Lazenby was Australian and Brosnan was Irish, but Brosnan had spent a lot of time in the UK, Ireland also has a close relationship with it and Australia is at least Commonwealth and the country has again close relationship with the United Kingdom. I wouldn't have a problem with a Canadian playing Bond, if he can do the accent of course, for the same reason.
    I think it would be difficult for many to accept an American Bond, especially as Brits really love the character and I think a big part of that love is because he's one of there own.
    If an American actor was ever sought I think he would therefore have to be a name, a Leo DiCapro type, someone with global appeal and acclaim.

But Dicapro will never be cast so lets get back to reality; my first choice for Craig's successor is Tom Hardy.
    reese-witherspoon-tom-hardy-chris-pine-this-means-war-06.jpg
    Just come back from seeing the fantastic Man of Steel. Henry Cavill will make a great Bond imo and will be just the right age when Dan Craig retires. Plus he's tall and dark to satisfy the so-called traditionalists! If not HC then I'll stick with my other choice Tom Hardy. I just dont want Fassbender anywhere near Bond unless as a villain.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Just come back from seeing the fantastic Man of Steel. Henry Cavill will make a great Bond imo and will be just the right age when Dan Craig retires. Plus he's tall and dark to satisfy the so-called traditionalists! If not HC then I'll stick with my other choice Tom Hardy. I just dont want Fassbender anywhere near Bond unless as a villain.

Don't say it like it's true he's retiring.
    Yeah the main problem with an American Bond would be the reaction over here. He'd get tons of abuse.
    LeChiffre wrote:

I would have bet on Cavill as Craig's successor, but that was before The Man of Steel. I think he will now be in the shadow of Superman.
    Yeah the main problem with an American Bond would be the reaction over here. He'd get tons of abuse.
    In Man of Steel, Cavill had a line, 'I was born in Kansas-- I'm as American as it gets!', or something to that effect. It got a pretty big laugh from the audience.
    But still, he sure did a fantastic job hiding his accent. If an American could do an equally fine job with a Brit accent, I wouldn't be against the notion.