What was the best quality of each Bond actor? What did their portrayal do better than the rest?

edited May 2013 in Actors Posts: 63
Connery- Had an undeniable swagger. He was never bothered, but even if he was you would never know it.
Lazenby- Ummmm... his fighting skills
Moore- His wit and jokes.
Dalton- I honestly never enjoyed him at all, but I guess he took the role seriously, which is more than the man above him ever did.
Brosnan- The most "suave" Bond, he always looked like the dapper,smarmy, womanizing Bond he played.
Craig- Displays emotion better than any other Bond. He has internal troubles like Fleming's Bond and can be suave with the martinis, the girls and the tux but can also be a brutal assassin when duty calls.

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    007Skyfall wrote:
    Connery- Had an undeniable swagger. He was never bothered, but even if he was you would never know it.
    Lazenby- Ummmm... his fighting skills
    Moore- His wit and jokes.
    Dalton- I honestly never enjoyed him at all, but I guess he took the role seriously, which is more than the man above him ever did.
    Brosnan- The most "suave" Bond, he always looked like the dapper,smarmy, womanizing Bond he played.
    Craig- Displays emotion better than any other Bond. He has internal troubles like Fleming's Bond and can be suave with the martinis, the girls and the tux but can also be a brutal assassin when duty calls.

Sean - DN and FRWL had the lot. GF onwards had class and swagger but lost sight of the character and played himself.
    Laz - Everyman vulnerability of the guy in the books but still had a decent line in swagger.
    Rog - Just made it all so much fun.
    Tim - Intensity and the desire to take it back to Fleming.
    Brozza - Agree with 007Skyfall in that he was always very well turned out.
    Dan - Also got the lot to be fair and it remains to be seen in the rest of his tenure whether he will topple Connery. Personally I think he might.
    @thewizardoffice I think Craig has toppled connery. What is your fAvorite film for
    Each actor. Mine is

SC- Gf
    GL-Obvious
    RM- TSWLM
    TD-TLD
    PB-GE
    Dc-SF (my favorite bond)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    @007Skyfall, you can post your favourite films from each actor in this thread:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4318/your-favourite-bond-movie-from-each-actor

And answer whether they've done a classic film here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2255/has-each-bond-actor-done-a-classic-bond-film

Great thread idea by the way. I will be back with my thoughts soon.
    Connery- His charm.

Lazenby- The everyman quality.

Moore- The humour and the fun.

Dalton- His ruthlessness, nobody can do the darker Fleming type Bond better.

Brosnan- He had Connery's charm, Moore's humour, and I think more than any of the others he just seemed really cool.

Craig- His brutality, although that seems to be gone. He's also bought lots of emotion to it, which deserves a mention.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Connery - He was the epitome of "cool" and his charisma.

Lazenby - The vulnerability he portrayed was crucial to the success of the story.

Moore - His great sense of humor and the class of an English gentleman.

Dalton - He always struck me as the most believable spy of the bunch.

Brosnan - He was a jack of all trades. He could actually do everything well even if he wasn't particularly great at anything.

Craig - He is the toughest Bond and portrays Fleming's depressed side of the character the best.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Sean - his utter confidence, masculinity, and completely owning Bond (DN, FRWL, GF)
    Lazenby - he moves and fights very well indeed (and that's it)
    Moore - his seemingly effortless charm and wit (both in spades)
    Dalton - his intensity, brooding, and elegance; the serious Fleming Bond for me
    Brosnan - truly cool, competent, fun, charming and protective
    Craig - his physicality, range, ability to ratchet up to another gear, overall ruggedness and yet has sensitivity and a simmering sexual allure (so yeah, pretty much the whole package)

Craig is the most well rounded and strongest Bond since Connery.
    But I do love the other Bonds for their own special nuances and charm they brought to the role (only exception is Lazenby). In fact, I'd love to go have a drink with Pierce right now. ;)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    @007Skyfall, you can post your favourite films from each actor in this thread:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4318/your-favourite-bond-movie-from-each-actor
    And answer whether they've done a classic film here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2255/has-each-bond-actor-done-a-classic-bond-film

Great thread idea by the way. I will be back with my thoughts soon.
    Thanks and look forward to your thoughts!

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Connery - one cool cat, he had it all
    Lazenby - he's a great fighter, feels very human
    Moore - his effortless wit, always there with a joke - or two
    Dalton - his intensity is much like the Bond of the novels
    Brosnan - has the 'everyman' quality
    Craig - displays emotion and has range better than any other
    Samuel001 wrote:

I agree with all but Brosnan. He felt like ge had the most stuck-up and better than the rest attitude that the other Bonds never had to that extent, IMO.

007Skyfall wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I agree with all but Brosnan. He felt like ge had the most stuck-up and better than the rest attitude that the other Bonds never had to that extent, IMO.

I always thought that was Connery's attitude! Brosnan never gave me those vibes.

Connery- the slick, cat-like approach; devilishly cool and lethal, especially in fighting
    Lazenby- probably the greatest fisticuffs of any 007, save maybe Craig, maybe
    Moore- the class act humor and all dialogue in general!
    Dalton- his hard edge ability to "get the job done" like we'd expect Bond too- simple yet effective, and with a little bit of defiance and recklessness involved at times
    Brosnan- his suave, super-cool approach to, well, everything! His way with the ladies was also high above all other Bonds before and after him
    Craig- like Dalton, he gets the job done in the usual Bond manner, and uses aggression and extremely brutal fisticuff skills, much like Lazenby
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,130
    Its great when you explore all the pages and find a thread you didn't know existed but interests you and this is one of those for me.

here is my take on this.

Sean Connery- Confidence.
    Non other Bond actor felt like he was Bond right from the very Beginning like Connery.
    he didn't need time to get Bond at his best, right from Dr No got the character's confidence since his intro to Sylvia Trench.

George Lazenby- Romantic
    No one was more believable as Bond in love than Lazenby his last scene non of the Bond actors could have pulled it off better than him.
    He was really sweet and loving with Tracy and his scene when he is propsing was really sweet.

Roger Moore- Comedy

Thanks to his great comedic ability and refusment to take Bond seriously he became the most unique Bond all his Bond films were very tailored to him. You can't see any of the Bond actors in his Bond Movies.
    His very campy and sometimes self parody take became a clear advantage to give his VERY OWN INTERPRETATION

Timothy Dalton- Flemingesque
    He was the most faithful to Fleming's Bond in looks and personality. craig and Connery got the personality but no the looks while Brosnan had the look bit not so much the personality of Fleming's idea of James Bond.

Pierce Brosnan- Sex Appeal
    No one made believe woman would throw themselves at Bond better than Pierce. He just had the charm, the Voice and a special something which made me believe any woman would fall for him.

Daniel Craig- Physicality
    No one did action better than Daniel Craig apart from a few with Connery Criag had the best and most believable fights. Its a cliche now bit really Craig is the most believable as an assasian and would kill a man with his bare hands.

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Connery
    Undeniable swagger and animal-magnetism. Connery portrayed a man with confidence who was self-assured better then anyone. He walked in the room and you knew he was a winner. The quintessential alpha-male.

Lazenby
    Lazenby had physicality, vulnerability and romance, but to me he portrayed the everyman Bond which is a quality that shines through in the Bond of the books.

Moore
    The light-heartedness and effortless whit of his Bond captivated me as a child. It's the quality that Moore really emphasised in his portrayal.

Dalton
    I believe Dalton as a genuine killer. The moment where Bond interrogates Pushkin in TLD demonstrates what Dalton brought to the role. Intensity.

Brosnan
    Brosnan was a superman, looked like a L'Oreal model. I'm not sure what the best quality of his Bond would be.

Craig
    Craig brought Bond back to earth like Dalton, but did incorporated the characteristics (like animal-magnetism and swagger) that made Connery's portrayal successful. The best quality of Daniel's Bond must be his physicality.