Godzilla favourites?

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited May 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 17,691
What Godzilla movies do you like, if any?
As a kid I watched 'em all! I still like Destroy All Monsters & Godzilla Vs. Hedorah (the Smog Monster), but I found a rollicking good time recently in Godzilla: Final Wars! Pure 60's/70's delight with a Matrix-y 90's vibe! Popcorn never tasted so good!
Of course the first is still the best IMO... very dark & nightmarish...

Thoughts?

Comments

I've used to be the biggest Godzilla freak in the 2nd grade! Nowadays I'm more of a casual watcher, and now I watch the japanese versions. I've seen all the films except Godzilla 1985 because it's never been released on dvd. I'm still a fan
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The new film next year, I'm sure we'd all like to be good!
    I figured I'd rank them by each series. For Showa (By far the best):
    1. MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA
    2. GODZILLA
    3. SON OF GODZILLA
    4. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS
    5. MONSTER ZERO
    6. TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA
    7. GHIDORAH: THE THREE HEADED MONSTER
    8. GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH
    9. KING KONG VS. GODZILLA
    10. GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER
    11. GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA
    12. GODZILLA VS. MEGALON
    13. GODZILLA VS. GIGAN
    14. GODZILLA'S REVENGE
    15. GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN (Even then, I don't hate this one)

Heisei:
    1. GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE
    2. GODZILLA 1985
    3. GODZILLA VS. DESTROYAH
    4. GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORAH
    5. GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA
    6. GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA II

7. GODZILLA VS. SPACEGODZILLA

Millenium:
    1. GMK
    2. GODZILLA TOKYO SOS
    3. GODZILLA 2000
    4. GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA

5. GODZILLA FINAL WARS

6. GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Not a fan of the Japanese Lizard at all, I must say.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    MaxRebo120 wrote:
    Millenium:
    1. GMK
    That was a freakin' seriously messed up movie (I mean that in a good way). The FX were superb, but it was hard to wrap my head around Ghidrah being a GOOD GUY!!!!
    :O
    Being the best of the Millenium series still doesn't make it a superb film. I find the Godzilla suit in it to be one of the poorest.
    MaxRebo120 wrote:
    Being the best of the Millenium series still doesn't make it a superb film.

I own it, but honestly, I have more fun with Final Wars. :)>-
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited May 2013 Posts: 1,812
    It's been awhile since I've watched a Godzilla movie but I would call myself an average fan. I grew up watching them, mostly because of my cousins.

I think I've seen most if not all, but of the ones I can remember my favorite from best to worst are...

1. GMK
    2. Godzilla 98' (I know everyone hates this one but I love it!)
    3. Tokyo S.O.S
    4. Godzilla X Mechagodzilla
    5. Godzilla 85'
    6. Godzilla 2000
    7. Godzilla vs. Megalon
    8. Godzilla vs. Gigan
    9. Godzilla vs. Biollante
    10. Godzilla vs. Mothra
    11. Godzilla 54' (the Japanese version)
    12. Final Wars
    13. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla

I've seen the others but can't remember them well enough to rank them. That's a good enough excuse to watch them again :D

I just realized next year on May 16, one year from tomorrow, we will get another Godzilla movie! It's an American film, so lets hope this one does better with fans than the 1998 Godzilla.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The new film next year, I'm sure we'd all like to be good!

Agreed I am Hoping. I want a decent Godzilla movie
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I am really looking forward to next years Godzilla. Off the top of my head two of my favorites are the original Godzilla and Godzilla vs Mothra (the Thing) 64. This one has my favorite Godzilla design.
    talos7 wrote:
    Off the top of my head two of my favorites are the original Godzilla and Godzilla vs Mothra (the Thing) 64. This one has my favorite Godzilla design.
    I like the Showa series best, which is why I like Final Wars- so OTT crazy! But yeah, early BigG designs were the best IMO ('64- '71). In Final Wars he got pretty mean looking!
    :-O
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    chrisisall wrote:
    MaxRebo120 wrote:
    Millenium:
    1. GMK
    That was a freakin' seriously messed up movie (I mean that in a good way). The FX were superb, but it was hard to wrap my head around Ghidrah being a GOOD GUY!!!!
    :O

This is a great, evil looking Godzilla; I'm a big fan of this suit. The effects are superb but I strongly dislike the design and execution of Ghidrah. It too small and far too stylized.
    I adore the original (both the Japanese and U.S. versions), Godzillia 1985, Godzilla vs Biolante and GMK. I always prefer Godzilla to be portrayed as an force of nature and not as an anti hero, and for me these films best capture that feel. I also was welcome to the spiritual twist added to GMK, it was a nice break from the sci fi from the other entries of the series. The Godzillia films always are dismissed as silly entertainment, but the original is a powerful statement about nuclear armament.
    The only movies that leave me cold are those involving MechaGodzilla; I just can't seem to wrap my head around the concept. :))
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Does anyone know of any news on Godzilla 2014? I tried looking online and have only found that it comes out a year from today. I would of thought that we would have some pics and a cast by now. Heck, we should have the names of the two other monsters that are going to be in it by now.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    @QsAssistant, all I know is what's listed <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(2014_film)">here</a>.
    Just finished a mini-marathon with Godzilla, my (personal & subjective) pick for the best 3 are:
    Destroy All Monsters
    Godzilla vs. Hedorah ( aka Smog Monster)
    Godzilla: Final Wars

I like my Godzilla a bit out there, not trying too hard for 'realism'. Your mileage can & will vary. ;)
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,691

It looks like an event! I think I'll go see it, even if it IS 100% serious. :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Heisenberg vs Godzilla. I'm in. It also has that John Carpenter's the thing vibe. Using the 54 original film as historical footage. Pretty neat stuff.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    1. Godzilla (1954)
    2. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
    3. Godzilla: Final Wars
    4. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
    5. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
    6. Terror Of Mechagodzilla
    7. Godzilla vs. Hedorah
    8. The Return Of Godzilla
    9. Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
    10. Invasion Of The Astro Monster
    11. Destroy All Monsters
    12. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
    13. King Kong vs. Godzilla
    14. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
    15. Godzilla, King Of The Monsters
    16. Godzilla Raids Again
    17. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
    18. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
    19. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
    20. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla
    21. Godzilla vs. Gigan
    22. Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)
    23. Godzilla 2000: Millennium
    24. Godzilla vs. Biollante
    25. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
    26. Son of Godzilla
    27. Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster
    28. Godzilla vs. Megalon
    29. All Monsters Attack

30. Godzilla (1998)
    chrisisall wrote:

It looks like an event! I think I'll go see it, even if it IS 100% serious. :))

Does look pretty epic doesn't it! :D
    3. Godzilla: Final Wars
    7. Godzilla vs. Hedorah
    I am both surprised & glad to see someone else rate these so highly!!
    19. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
    Since I started this thread so long ago I've seen many more G movies, and this one in particular was just a blast IMHO! It's now one of my favourites because of the fun factor.
    :)>-
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,782
    Thank you for this thread.

I grew up with the 70s fun Godzilla and only recently saw the original....the new one, seems to hark back to that sense of danger and excitement.

the only thing I don't like about the new one is the twist of the nuclear tests...the ten minute empire movie magazine breakdown with the director is insightful and a must watch...more monsters assured.

http://bcove.me/9caschu4
    Haven't seen any of the others but the new one looks brilliant. It looks creepy and tense, more than just your average CGI packed disaster flick. Plus I love Bryan Cranston. I'll definitely be seeing this.
    Rubber suits rule.
    I have tried to see the original Japanese man-in-a-suit movies and did not like them at all.
    Did enjoy the 2000 US version quite a lot, and Jean Reno was great in this movie.
    I will probably see this new one as well it looks amazing in the trailers.
    SaintMark wrote:
    I have tried to see the original Japanese man-in-a-suit movies and did not like them at all.

You must be under 40, because if you grew up with them like I did, you'd HAVE to love them. :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

You must be under 40, because if you grew up with them like I did, you'd HAVE to love them. :))

Sadly enough I am on the other side of 40, that said I loved the Doctor Who serials with the wobbley sets and man in monstersuits. Godzilla never was that interesting to me, neither were the transformers for that matter.

I loved the 90s Godzilla movies. The old ones to me looked pretty ridiculous
  • XXXXXX Banned
    edited March 2014 Posts: 132
    Can someone explain the appeal to me? He's a giant dinosaur, step on a city, power lines goodbye? Take your time, I don't like Breaking Bad.
    Birdleson wrote:
    II'm not interested in this latest remake at all.