"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Yeah ok lets ship him off to Spain or somewhere where they will know we are keen to bin him so will make a derisory offer and we'll end up with 15m to spend on Falcao - except of course we won't as no way in a million years he would come to us so we in the end we will wind up with an Adebayor or a Darren Bent leading the line and will have written off a 50m asset for peanuts. That will knock Fergie off his perch.

I'm interested - if the ref had deemed to give him a yellow card for being arsey and scuffling with Ivanovic would that have been an end of it under the FAs idiotic rules? I tend to think we'd have got this ban anyway thanks to the Twitter lynchmob that governs the country these days which you could interpret at the very least to be a clear case of double standards (given the seriousness of the Mcmanaman challenge) that I think Liverpool would have a good chance of challenging in court and at worst blatant victimisation given they have already cause for complaint with JT given half the ban of Suarez over the racism thing for an offence clearly caught on camera which Suarez's wasn't.
    Of course anyone would rather be bitten by Suarez than be on the receiving end of an elbow in the face or horrendous challenge, but for a grown man to be biting is plain wrong, I think even the other players and possibly Suarez himself knows he needs some kind of help and that he is missing something, mentally, that is there in most other people. There comes a point when a player is just not worth it no matter how good he is. However, I don't think we have reached that point yet because the issues surrounding him can potentially be resolved relatively easily. In my opinion it is worth the effort at the moment to stick with him because of the fact he is SO good and because of who else there is in the team. If we had another 10 world beaters in the team it would be a no brainer to get rid of him, but unfortunately we don't.

He does deserve to be punished, and I think it's important we don't brush it under the carpet as if biting someone is just "part of what happens in a football match", but equally the length of ban in ridiculous both in its length and in its inconsistency compared with other punishments.
  • Madrid are poor tonight. I'd have thought they would have at least scored. Some very wasteful chances by both sides tonight.
  • Game on!! One more to get in two mins plus stoppages. Can they do it?
    Exciting finish to the game.
    Fair play to Madrid at least they created some chances which they can look back on and say if we'd taken them things would have been different.

Barca on the other hand were a shambles. Perhaps someone didn't tell them they were 4-0 down as they were just happy to stroke it around in their own half all day. Tiki taka all well and good when youre one up to see the game out but when you are chasing a game it's absolutely useless.
    What a cracking goal from David Luiz! Hope my Norwich boys will put a few away like that tomorrow?!! ;) ;))
    RogueAgent wrote:
    What a cracking goal from David Luiz! Hope my Norwich boys will put a few away like that tomorrow?!! ;) ;))

Sensational. And he gave a bit of overdue credit to Raffa unlike the Chelsea fans...with him at the reins we've been talking about their football not Jts disgraceful behaviour...bravo Raffa come back to the club that loves you.
    Think my Norwich boys could be going down now! Baggies at home next is a MUST 3 POINTS! As we are away at Man City last game! X_X
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Think my Norwich boys could be going down now! Baggies at home next is a MUST 3 POINTS! As we are away at Man City last game! X_X

You might be right mate. I just did this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/predictor/default.stm

and all the way up to the final day it was Wigan, Newcastle or Sunderland in the bottom 3. Then at full time on the last day Norwich ended up going down. Certainly you're right in amongst it.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 7,653
    A glorious afternoon when AJAX AMSTERDAM becomes CHAMPION :!! for the third time in a row. (the lads of Manchester City might remember them =)) ).

The team that spend the most money did not get their title, which proves that vision of a club in the long run pays of.
    Congrats to Ajax then. One of the truly great European teams not one of these Johnny come latelys like Chelsea or PSG.

Wasnt it the Falklands war that was described as 'two bald ben fighting over a comb'?

Well that line could apply pretty well to the Merseyside derby today. Pretty dismal offering all round as we slugged it out for the glory of deciding who would finish 6th and 7th without even the booby prize of a place in the Europa for the victor. These are grim days indeed.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Shocked by the news about Sir Alex Ferguson.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22447018

I may not like Man Utd, but I don't know a football fan who doesn't admire and respect Fergie.
    It's an almost impossible void to fill I think. Good luck to whoever takes over.
    With specualtion that Jose Mourinho will return to Chelsea, is it possible he'll got to United?
    Time as ever will tell.
    I'm sure this is not a football decision, operation yew tree is in full effect??????
    I'm sure this is not a football decision, operation yew tree is in full effect??????

I would literally weep for joy if he was done for noncing up Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Best manager ever? Quite difficult to argue but his relatively modest achievements in Europe is a sticking point for me given the squads he had. When it got to the knockout stages he was consistently shown up tactically. Where he is undoubtedly the best is motivating his squad to get results week in week out. No good winning a big match one week and losing to Wigan the next.

Where he is really wanting though is as a man. He falls way below Busby, Shanks, Paisley and Cloughie in his, at times, childishly pathetic and petulant conduct that was not becoming of his standing in the game.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 1,143
    Very very sad day to hear the inevitable. SAF announces retirement. I would just like to say thanks for all the success and wonderful memories. You are a legend of the game and the longest standing and most successful Utd manager in history. Your success will never be repeated at the club and I can only wish the very best to your successor in their near impossible task of filling your shoes.

A reminder of his success at Utd:

Premier League: 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013; FA Cup: 1990, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004; League Cup: 1992, 2006, 2009, 2010; Uefa Champions League: 1999, 2008; Fifa Club World Cup: 2008; Uefa Super Cup: 1992; Uefa Cup Winners Cup: 1991; Inter-Continental Cup: 1999; FA Charity/Community Shield: 1990 (shared), 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
    2 things!
    First of all, love or hate him? Happy retirement Sir Alex! Without a doubt the best ever club manager i have ever known!
    Secondly, wherever you are Largo? Thank you and Swansea for throwing us a lifeline by beating Wigan! <:-P Now all i need is for my boys to man up and show up when we play the Baggies on sunday! And the Gooners to beat Wigan on tuesday! [-O<
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,782
    Really want Chelsea to stuff Spurs and bring down AVB...Harry are you laughing yet?
  • Irish007Irish007 Dublin
    Well what is there to say about Sir Alex. An absolute legend and a manager the likes of which we'll never see again in terms of the authortarian role he had at the clubs as a whole. As for Moyes wouldn't have been my first choice I really would have liked to have seen someone like Guardiola (If he hadn't of already signed up to Bayern for next season) or Klopp given a chance to manage in England. However it's clear that Moyes appears to have been annointed by Fergie to be his successor so who am I to argue with.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Far from a United fan, and the bloke has pissed me off immensely in the past, but Fergie deserves the praise he's getting. Hope he has a happy retirement.
    Fergie should go to real madrid and see if he can do better than the special one.....
    That's not going to happen. He's retiring from football management period. He's done. He could have walked into the Real job years ago but showed loyality to Utd. Utd is his club and that's why he's accepted a role of director and ambassador so he can keep an eye on things and has a good relationship with Moyes & will help assist him behind the scenes.
    I think Moyes is a good choice for the Old Trafford hot seat. As has been stated by many associated with football, he's cut from the same cloth and is a better fit for Utd than them going for a bigger name. I just hope they afford him the time to bed in, even if it takes two or three seasons. Don't want to see Utd end up like Chelsea, sacking managers at a drop of a hat.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,782
    I love that David is going to the club that can't be mentioned....that's 11 years of winning sweet FA guranteed.

I want Rafa back where he belongs...
    Rafa was a great manager for us and instanbul 05 was one of the greatest acheivements in world soccer. 3 nil down against ac milan at half time in the cl final and end up winning it, AMAZING.....
    Well? Its Villa's to throw away now?
    edited May 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Unbefuckinglievable!

The cup is alive and kicking once again!

Taxi for Mancini.

Absolutely classic ITV - cut Whelan off mid speech to go to Kompany spouting meaningless 'sick as a parrot' platitudes that not even City fans are interested in hearing.

And then they end the programme without even a single shot of Whelan holding the cup. Words fail me at how piss poor they are.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    frank_lampard_780148c.jpg
    Congrats to Frank Lampard on scoring his 203rd goal for Chelsea, breaking the all time leading goal record.
    Also secures Chelsea a spot in the Champions league.
    What a legend.

Of course congrats must go to Wigan for winning the FA cup.
    Maybe they can pull off the relagation battle once again?
    Belated congrats to Wigan. Great cup final with a fantastic result. Big Money doesn't guarantee success. Good to see the underdogs triumph!
    Nice one Norwich City! A 3rd Premiership avdenture in the offing! <:-P