"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• I think Suarez has bitten off more than he can chew!! A cheat, racist and now a cannibal. What's next I wonder?
  • I think Suarez has bitten off more than he can chew!! A cheat, racist and now a cannibal. What's next I wonder?

I thought you were talking about John Terry
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    suarez.jpg

What a poor excuse for a player. Especially as it's not his debut for bitting another player.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ordinarily (ie if he played for Man U) I'd say it was disgusting and he should be drummed out of the game.

But as we would be down without him I can't really afford the luxury of taking the moral high ground.

5 match ban will see justice served - particularly as he's already served over the going rate for the Evra thing.
  • Ordinarily (ie if he played for Man U) I'd say it was disgusting and he should be drummed out of the game.

But as we would be down without him I can't really afford the luxury of taking the moral high ground.

5 match ban will see justice served - particularly as he's already served over the going rate for the Evra thing.

At least he didn't jump in with a two footed stamp in a FA Cup semi-final?

It's his way of moving on from Anfield. He loves the fans but wants to go to a club with a decent manager and win things. This way if the board off-load him, it won't be seen as his doing.

Got to get rid of our manager, bring back Raffa, we know he's a winner.
  • Benny wrote:
    suarez.jpg

What a poor excuse for a player. Especially as it's not his debut for bitting another player.

lol. Is this your mates' new Avatar? BradySmash will be so happy.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Benny wrote:
    suarez.jpg

'Poor excuse for a player?' Not so. He's world class and every single premier league club would have him in their team.

The biting is what it is, really weird an he obviously needs help but his footballing ability can't be questioned.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

Yea I saw that ha ha Tyson taking solace maybe from luis actions lol

Begrudging congrats to the scum (I'm asuming Villa aint going to dig out 3 goals in the 2nd half).
    The poorest Utd side of the last 15 years IMO but you can only beat whats in front of you and the rest of the league is pitiful this season.
    A team fielding Stewart Downing and Fabio Borini is the 7th best in the land for Christs sake!

Best league in the world? You're having a laugh.
    Begrudging congrats to the scum (I'm asuming Villa aint going to dig out 3 goals in the 2nd half).
    The poorest Utd side of the last 15 years IMO but you can only beat whats in front of you and the rest of the league is pitiful this season.
    A team fielding Stewart Downing and Fabio Borini is the 7th best in the land for Christs sake!

Best league in the world? You're having a laugh.

United have van Persie!!

• Champions again. Well done Utd, great first half performance with a good Van Persie hat trick. 2nd goal was class. Funny old season, Utd have not played vintage stuff a lot of the time but then again haven't had to.
    Come on Swans 3 points against the Chelski this weekend please
    ANybody surprised how the Spanish teams that ruled supreme untill now got pummeled by the German teams, whom truth be told were VERY GOOD.
    SaintMark wrote:
    ANybody surprised how the Spanish teams that ruled supreme untill now got pummeled by the German teams, whom truth be told were VERY GOOD.

Certainly surprised at the scores but not with the wins. Arsenal beat Bayern in germany so anything can happen in the return legs.
    Maybe everything went right for the german teams with their big wins and everything will go wrong when they play in spain.
    Should be very interesting anyway.
    I like the way everyone saying Spanish football is dead and the Bundesliga reigns supreme on the strength of basically 2 games.

What sort of sample is that to base any conclusion on?

If Barca and Real somehow dig it out some people are going to look pretty foolish.

Just like when Chelses and Utd played each other in the final everyone worried that UEFA would crack down on our league somehow as they couldn't stand the prem dominating the competition so much. Where are those people now?
    Looks like an all German Champions League final then? On a more real down to earth note? Come on Norwich! Get a point tomorrow and we are almost home and hosed! [-O<
    It was a big deception this week the underperformance of both Spanish teams. I always enjoy the play of Barcelone, however Bayern Munich has performed very good as well the last few CL tournaments.

I'll be curious if Both German teams will play football next week or will play a defending game.
    SaintMark wrote:
    It was a big deception this week the underperformance of both Spanish teams. I always enjoy the play of Barcelone, however Bayern Munich has performed very good as well the last few CL tournaments.

I'll be curious if Both German teams will play football next week or will play a defending game.

Well the spanish teams have got nothing to lose so they'll be going for it....

• Liverpool score 6 when Hannibal is banned.....ummm get rid, he's tarnished the shirt.

Down you go Harry.

Feel sorry for Reading though but I think they go down in reasonable shape for making a good fist of it next season.

How strange is football-Liverpool without their leading goalscorer become a goalscoring machine, albeit against a pathetic Newcastle performance. I admit to being blinded by bias (I support Liverpool) but I can't help like Suarez. Don't get me wrong, his behaviour at times is terrible and indefensible, but part of me can't help think he's got serious anger management problems but is deep down a decent person. Or maybe I am just like the girl who can't help but fall for the bad guy! I hope he gets the help he obviously needs though.
  • Trigger wrote:
    How strange is football-Liverpool without their leading goalscorer become a goalscoring machine, albeit against a pathetic Newcastle performance. I admit to being blinded by bias (I support Liverpool) but I can't help like Suarez. Don't get me wrong, his behaviour at times is terrible and indefensible, but part of me can't help think he's got serious anger management problems but is deep down a decent person. Or maybe I am just like the girl who can't help but fall for the bad guy! I hope he gets the help he obviously needs though.

Sorry dude, Im a Liverpool fan too and he's got to go. Just can't have that at all in our club. Sourness was a nutter and a hard man and had issues, he would never be as stupid as cost his side this nonsense. His total ban record at Liverpool will be 24 matches....not good enough...hats half a season without your star striker.

I saw the future yesterday playing for the reds and he's a little Brazilian my god Is he a player.
    Trigger wrote:

Sorry dude, Im a Liverpool fan too and he's got to go. Just can't have that at all in our club. Sourness was a nutter and a hard man and had issues, he would never be as stupid as cost his side this nonsense. His total ban record at Liverpool will be 24 matches....not good enough...hats half a season without your star striker.

I saw the future yesterday playing for the reds and he's a little Brazilian my god Is he a player.

Whats better a bloke who only plays half the season but when he does he destroys teams or the likes of Downing and Borini playing every single game?

Whatever your moral qualms about him would you rather go down? Because without him thats where we would be now.

We are a midtable team that has somehow got hold of a world class striker. He will leave soon enough anyway in january or next summer when a big club comes knocking and we have zero chance of getting anyone near his ability wanting to join us so I'm not about to hurry him out of the door.

Cantona cost his team 9 months. Makes Suarez's absence from the club seem light. Tired of the attitude that somehow the bite is anything more than John Terry's racism against Ferdinand (4 games), Shawcross' 2-foot lunge of Aaron Ramsey (3 games) or Calum McManaman's stud's up knee-crunching lunge on Massaido Haidara (ZERO games). "Embarrassment to the shirt/the game" and "not part of what our club/the game is about" are wonderful if not dreamy comments bordering on naivety.
  • coolbyrne wrote:
    Cantona cost his team 9 months. Makes Suarez's absence from the club seem light. Tired of the attitude that somehow the bite is anything more than John Terry's racism against Ferdinand (4 games), Shawcross' 2-foot lunge of Aaron Ramsey (3 games) or Calum McManaman's stud's up knee-crunching lunge on Massaido Haidara (ZERO games). "Embarrassment to the shirt/the game" and "not part of what our club/the game is about" are wonderful if not dreamy comments bordering on naivety.

Come on biting really?

You don't mind if your star striker is banned for biting...I'd rather he got banned for punching or a two footed tackle but biting...no chance...we are a football club a proper football club....
    coolbyrne wrote:

Come on biting really?

You don't mind if your star striker is banned for biting...I'd rather he got banned for punching or a two footed tackle but biting...no chance...we are a football club a proper football club....

There has to be something wrong with our society when a career threatennig tackle or racist abuse is deemed less offensive than what is basically the petulant and laughable act of a naughty toddler. We should be laughing at Suarez not banning him.

I love all these comments that the guy needs a psychologist to give him anger management therapy. Did anyone say this after Roy Keane deliberately went out to do Inge-Haarland? That was the act of a proper pyscho and how long did the FA ban him for?

coolbyrne wrote:

Come on biting really?

I'd rather not have him banned for anything, but the funny thing is, had it been a two-footed lunge, he probably would have only gotten 3 games. That is the ridiculousness of the FA's decision, in a nutshell.

Also have to roll my eyes at the idea that being banned for a punch or a two-footed lunge somehow fits in with the idea of being a "proper football club".

And just as a by-the-by, one of the reasons Souness didn't cost Liverpool anything despite him being "a nutter, a hard man" and having "issues", is because he rarely got caught. Ask Dinamo Bucharest captain Lica Movila if he'd rather get his jaw broken by Graeme Souness in the '84 European Cup semi-final or get bitten by Luis Suarez.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 9,117
    coolbyrne wrote:
    coolbyrne wrote:

Come on biting really?

I'd rather not have him banned for anything, but the funny thing is, had it been a two-footed lunge, he probably would have only gotten 3 games. That is the ridiculousness of the FA's decision, in a nutshell.

Also have to roll my eyes at the idea that being banned for a punch or a two-footed lunge somehow fits in with the idea of being a "proper football club".

And just as a by-the-by, one of the reasons Souness didn't cost Liverpool anything despite him being "a nutter, a hard man" and having "issues", is because he rarely got caught. Ask Dinamo Bucharest captain Lica Movila if he'd rather get his jaw broken by Graeme Souness in the '84 European Cup semi-final or get bitten by Luis Suarez.

Absolutely. Or how about we ask Patrick Battiston if he would prefer a little nip on the arm or having his head kicked into a coma and losing half of his teeth a crime that warranted the punishment of errr a goal kick against the victim!

But Harald Schumacher was just behaving like a player from a proper football club I suppose so its all perfectly fine.
  • Really? Come on the man used his teeth to express himself, not a bad tackle or a well placed elbow but he used his gnashers. Just wrong. I'm sure we can explore examples throughout foo history of career ending tackles or lunges or waywards elbows, but the fact that he's brought world wide publicity to the reds for biting shows what an idiot he his. A bad tackle is expected from a footballer but meal for two on the pitch is not. Anyway mad cow disease is back in the UK and Hannibal should be tested now.