Best Action Sequence of the Brosnan Era?

2»

Comments

Yeah awesome moment
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    There's so many for me: all of the action sequences throughout GE, the PTS, the "hands-free" car chase in the garage, the motorcycle chase, and finale of TND, the PTS, skiing scene, the bunker scene, and the caviar scene from TWINE, and the PTS, sword fight, Cuba fight, and Zao/Bond ice chase sequence in DAD.

My favorite: GE finale. It's just too good.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I tend to think of the bunjjee jump as more of a "stunt" than an action scene.

Thread title is 'Action Moment' not 'Action Sequence'. Keep up Bain.
    The Dam jump is exceptional too but not much happens either side of it for it to be counted as an "action moment".

How are you defining 'moment' exactly then? A bloated 15 minute sequence like the TWINE PTS?

In fact counting the tank chase or boat chase a whole isn't even valid for this thread unless the original poster wants to change it to 'Action Scene' or 'Action Sequence'?

I'm defining it exactly the way it is, as a moment within an action sequence. The dam jump doesn't really fit the description as no action takes place either side of it for at least 5-10 minutes.

Both 'Tank through wall' and 'spinning boat' are firmly within their respective sequences.
    Goldeneye - Jump off the dam at the Arkhangel facility, Tank chase Saint Petersburg, fight with Trevelyan at the Cuba base

Tomorrow Never Dies - pre credits sequence at the Russian arms fair, garage, remote control car and thugs, Hamburg, and the bike chase with Wai Lin through Saigon

The World Is Not Enough - pre credits sequence in London, the King blade choppers ? or whatever they were, at the Zukofsky Caviar factory in Eastern Europe. Maybe ski-ing with King before that in the mountains (and parahawks)

Die Another Day - sword fight with Graves, possibly the chase with Zao at the Ice palace in Iceland. Yes it has to go in, in fact
    The Tank Chase scene from GE with out a doubt! Great Bond moment!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2013 Posts: 9,117
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I tend to think of the bunjjee jump as more of a "stunt" than an action scene.

Thread title is 'Action Moment' not 'Action Sequence'. Keep up Bain.
    The Dam jump is exceptional too but not much happens either side of it for it to be counted as an "action moment".

How are you defining 'moment' exactly then? A bloated 15 minute sequence like the TWINE PTS?

In fact counting the tank chase or boat chase a whole isn't even valid for this thread unless the original poster wants to change it to 'Action Scene' or 'Action Sequence'?

I'm defining it exactly the way it is, as a moment within an action sequence. The dam jump doesn't really fit the description as no action takes place either side of it for at least 5-10 minutes. Both 'Tank through wall' and 'spinning boat' are firmly within their respective sequences.

So what is the dam jump then if its not an action moment? Plot exposition, dramatic dialogue, character development?

But thanks for clarifying that a moment can only be a moment if it is surrounded by other moments.

I'm interested if we are allowed to count the window jump in the TWINE PTS? There is a fight before it but then there's the scene in M's office? But the boat chase starts before the 5-10 minute rule so I suppose its ok is it?

So here's a quick list off the top of my head of short action moments in Bond you can't count as your favourite because it falls foul of the ludicrous CraigMooreOHMSS's 'no action 5-10 mins before or after it' law.

DN - fight with Mr Jones.
    FRWL - Fight with Grant (debatable as it might not be 5 mins till the helicopter shows up).
    GF - Fight with Capungo (I would say the opening five minutes of GF is espionage not action but you would need to check with CraigMooreOHMSS for the definitive answer).
    TB - Fight with the guy shower? Unlikely to be anyone's favourite as its only one punch but a distinct lack of action either side its ruled out anyway.
    YOLT - Fight with the sumo guy.
    OHMSS - PTS fight, fight with Che Che.
    DAF - PTS fight with Blofelds men. Fight with Franks? Don't know about this one. When shown on TV probably not but uncut it might be long enough to be an action sequence so it is possibly admissible (correct me if I'm wrong there CraigMooreOHMSS).
    LALD - The fight between Bond and the goons in the alley. It's a crap fight anyway but even if its your favourite you can't count it under the CraigMooreOHMSS rule.
    TMWTGG - Fight with the goons in Saidas dressing room. I think you might be OK though if you are a fan of the fight with the sumo wrestlers as its less than 5 mins after that the karate school fight starts and less than 10 till the boat chase.
    TSWLM - Fight with Sandor and the fight with the two KGB guys at the pyramids - but the crucial thing is the gap between them. If its less than 10 minutes then you can count them if not then they have to go on this list.
    MR - the centrifuge maybe? But is this even action or is it drama? For the most part though I think the script does a good job of not going over the 10 minute rule between action.
    FYEO - the hockey fight? Comes too soon after the ski chase I think.
    OP - I think most of the action is either so long it becomes an action sequence on its own or doesn't breach the 10 minute rule between action moments.
    AVTAK - Apart from the fact it's shit the fight with goons in the warehouse. Also the fight in Stacey's house.
    TLD - Blayden safe house fight, prison fight.
    LTK - Aquarium fight.
    GE - The bungee jump apparently! Even though if you time it I doubt it's 5 minutes until it all kicks off in the chemical plant but you'd have to check with CraigMooreOHMSS to adjudicate on that point.
    TND - The fight at the media party the only one I can think of as TND moves so fast it hardly ever breaches the 10 minute rule.
    TWINE - I've already mentioned the PTS window jump which is certainly contentious. The fact that theres a fight first might mean its allowed where the bungy jump isnt but these are complicated legal waters over which only the learned CraigMooreOHMSS is qualified to judge.
    DAD - The fight with Mr Kil. Theres certainly a 5 minute gap either side but 10? Not sure.
    CR - PTS fight. Got to be a good 5 minutes with the titles and the scene with White and Le Chiffre but does it get past the 10 that means its close enough to the free running sequence not to be on this list? The fight with Obanno is a definite though - long stretches of card play on either side. Also the world record breaking car roll of the Aston belongs here as there is no action either side of it - sorry I dont make the rules in CraigMooreOHMSS world folks.
    QOS - the fight with Slate (although the feeble little Ford Ka ad err I mean car chase afterwards might be less than 5 minutes after). The fight with the MI6 guys in the lift.
    SF - The fight with Patrice, the Komodo dragon fight, the fight with Silvas men on the island. Sorry but all of these are bookended by 10 minutes or more of no action moments so they simply do not qualify as action.

So in conclusion according to CraigMooreOHMSS you cant class the bungy jump as your favourite action moment of the Brosnan, or presumably any, era because it doesnt have any action either side of it for 5-10 minutes. The fact that after the ski jump its probably the most iconic action moment (there I said it) of the series is apparently irrelevant.

You are a clown Sir.

Edit: Looks like the original poster has let you off the hook then by changing the thread title to 'best action sequence' so now I am able to concur that the bungy jump is indeed inadmissible in this category as it is a standalone stunt.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 11,189
    A "stunt" is an individual act (i.e. jumping off something, fighting etc). An "action sequence" is what the stunt fits into.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    A "stunt" is an individual act (i.e. jumping off something, fighting etc). An "action sequence" is what the stunt fits into.

Apparently some people cant discern the difference.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 8,009
    BAIN123 wrote:

You need to relax Wizard. Nobody ever said it was a rule nor was I questioning the bungee jumps iconic status. You don't have to go all personal just because you don't agree.
    BAIN123 wrote:

You need to relax Wizard. Nobody ever said it was a rule nor was I questioning the bungee jumps iconic status. You don't have to go all personal just because you don't agree.

Lets just agree that the bunjee jump was cool - which it was.

However as its not part of a larger sequence of chasing, explosions, and ACTION its not classed as an "action sequence" (in my book at least).

Example: SWLM PTS is an action scene which concludes in a stunt.
    BAIN123 wrote:

You need to relax Wizard. Nobody ever said it was a rule nor was I questioning the bungee jumps iconic status.

Well you were questioning its right to be classed as one of Brosnans best 'moments'. If the question we are debating is 'moments' (and I would personally define a moment as a short segment of time whether in the middle of an action sequence or not) then it has to be in there. If we are talking action sequences then fair enough it isnt one so it shouldnt be there.

I think the original poster is to blame with his rather ambiguous title which thankfully has now been rectified.

Sorry to be so pedantic but without correctly defining the terms how can we debate anything?
    I think an "action moment" would be something like Brosnan bursting through the wall in the tank or him taking off in the PTS of Dies.

I.e. its an iconic "moment" which is part of a larger action sequence.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 8,009
    BAIN123 wrote:

You need to relax Wizard. Nobody ever said it was a rule nor was I questioning the bungee jumps iconic status.

Well you were questioning its right to be classed as one of Brosnans best 'moments'. If the question we are debating is 'moments' (and I would personally define a moment as a short segment of time whether in the middle of an action sequence or not) then it has to be in there. If we are talking action sequences then fair enough it isnt one so it shouldnt be there.

I think the original poster is to blame with his rather ambiguous title which thankfully has now been rectified.

Sorry to be so pedantic but without correctly defining the terms how can we debate anything?

Well I wasn't starting a debate, any of that came from your end to be fair. I wasn't questioning its status as a moment so much as an action moment as part of a larger sequence which is what I felt the OP was going for. Now that the thread title has changed I think we can all agree that my first post is perfectly legit and doesn't require me to be labelled a clown.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think an "action moment" would be something like Brosnan bursting through the wall in the tank or him taking off in the PTS of Dies.

I agree.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I quite like the parahawk sequence. It's ridiculous but enjoyable and an original idea.

One really short moment but one I love is in GE towards the end. He's being shot at while doing something with a bomb and he casually flicks his head to the side as bullets slam into the wall next to him. Brosnan had lots of these moments, just little things that looked really cool.

I always remember this, too. Brosnan did have plenty of little moments, reactions, that were great.

I still love the TWINE PTS, the TND PTS and the final ending of it (staying undercover indeed), and the sword fight in DAD, too.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Well I wasn't starting a debate, any of that came from your end to be fair. I wasn't questioning its status as a moment so much as an action moment as part of a larger sequence which is what I felt the OP was going for. Now that the thread title has changed I think we can all agree that my first post is perfectly legit and doesn't require me to be labelled a clown.

Fair enough. With the title as it stands now your post is perfectly fine but at the time my comments were valid. Lets leave it at that I guess.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Simple list. :)

Tank Chase/Climax: GE
    PTS/Car Chase/Bike Chase/Climax: TND
    PTS/Bunker Fight/Caviar Factory: TWINE
    PTS/Car Chase: DAD
  • As is the TWINE PTS and parahawk chase. But I'd have to go with the grand finale of TND. Just such a classic feel with Bond versus the baddies all wearing similar uniforms, the X factor of the competent Wai Lin, Arnold delivering Bondian music to fit, 60's fun with an update.

Have you lost your mind?

The para hawk sequence is plain dull whilst the TND finale with Bond running around the place with a machine gun in each hand gunning people down like the Terminator is just horrible.

TND has very good action up until that point and is overall an enjoyable entry but the last half hour really ruins what has gone before.

I've heard that one before, so call me crazy then. I like the Parahawk chase, there's an OHMSS quality about it that I pick up on, plus I like the way the inflatable suit was used and how Elektra reacted. As far as TND, I sort of overlook the manic machine gun Brozzer bits because that's his kind of Bond. A lot of the other things I liked, especially Yeoh kicking ass, and thought it was all well done for a big finale.

As far as Brosnan moment, easily the scene with Paris and Dr.Kauffman. One of the very few moments where he was very convincing as Bond and I could relate to what his vision was. A shame we didn't get more of those, he could've used them.

As far as TND, I sort of overlook the manic machine gun Brozzer bits because that's his kind of Bond. A lot of the other things I liked, especially Yeoh kicking ass, and thought it was all well done for a big finale.

As far as Brosnan moment, easily the scene with Paris and Dr.Kauffman. One of the very few moments where he was very convincing as Bond and I could relate to what his vision was. A shame we didn't get more of those, he could've used them.

But in the TND finale what else is there apart from manic machine gun moments? It's basically the same finale as DAD with the 'equal' Bond girl kicking ass while Bond goes for the villain - its just the fact that Wai Lin and Carver are not such poor characters as Jinx and Graves that makes it better.

I agree that this would be one of Brozzas best moments if I could buy the romance with Paris but that's more the fault of Hatchers wooden performance than Brozza who does a decent job with the material.

As far as TND, I sort of overlook the manic machine gun Brozzer bits because that's his kind of Bond. A lot of the other things I liked, especially Yeoh kicking ass, and thought it was all well done for a big finale.

But in the TND finale what else is there apart from manic machine gun moments? It's basically the same finale as DAD with the 'equal' Bond girl kicking ass while Bond goes for the villain - its just the fact that Wai Lin and Carver are not such poor characters as Jinx and Graves that makes it better.

I agree that this would be one of Brozzas best moments if I could buy the romance with Paris but that's more the fault of Hatchers wooden performance than Brozza who does a decent job with the material.

Agreed. Paris is such a wasted character, completely one-note and played by a relitively charisma-less actress. Wai Lin was fun though and a good action partner for Brosnan - as was Natalya in GE.
  • I can't even begin to compare Wai Lin with Jinx. Chicken corbon bleu meets chicken shit. And the situations are different. On one hand we have classic Bond battling a bunch of baddies with similar uniforms, rather than separate one on one battles. And a angry henchman in the mix. It feels very different and just more Bondian, I really don't have any other way to explain my enjoyment.

I do agree that Hatcher was a complete waste in that role and Pierce carried their scenes. Pierce never spoke truer words (more than he has lately for sure with his shilling for a black Bond being a prime example of what I call "stinking thinking") when he called EON and MGM fools for not hiring Monica Bellucci. That aside, Paris was conveniently dead when Kauffman showed up, and thus all she had to do was lie there and not speak.
    Jinx is to Pierce Brosnan what Mary Goodnight was to Roger Moore

Wai Lin was good and her and Pierce had some good banter in their scenes. Shame her fight scene had some naff sound effects.

I think they should have hired Sela Ward for the Paris role. As a fan of the 1993 Fugitive film she was a real beauty in her short scenes as Helen Kimble (though maybe a second "ill fated wife" role wouldn't have been good for her).
  • 002 wrote:
    The Hoverboard Chase in DAD was pretty good

That was Back to the Future II, wasn't it? :)
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 299
    I think without question, the boat chase in TWINE.

The tank chase in GE was pretty good, but I can't rate it as highly because I felt the boat chase had better overall momentum and sense of purpose. In addition, the score was better in that sequence and all the elements as a whole (including its bleak ending) just contributed greatly to put it at a level above all the others.