Barbara Broccoli: Craig is best Bond

Comments

Germanlady wrote:
    Yeah, but WHO is the guy?

Sean Bean. AKA Sharpe, Trevelayn in Goldeneye, the baddy in patriot games, somebody in Lord Of The Rings (I haven't seen it), Spence in Ronin, etc.

He's a fantastic actor and a certified badass famous for dying in everything he stars in. He also recently became a tranny.

Sean_Bean__1566553a.jpg

I joke about that but he was actually really, really good in it (The Accused, the show he did it for). Brilliant actor.

Christ its Shirley from EASTENDERS
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 2,081
    ---
    famous for dying in everything he stars in. ---

Yeah, poor guy...

http://feelingwomanish.wordpress.com/tag/daniel-craig/

• edited April 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Barbara Broccoli: Craig is the best Bond

Mark Black: No he isn't :P

I like him and he's probably the best actor out of all of them but he can't hold a candle to Dalts imo. I'd rank him 3rd or 4th personally.

Not surprising Broccoli thinks that though as she obviously fancies him.

I'm going to be controversial here but personally I think Craig's acting in the scene when M dies alone puts him above Dalton. Don't get me wrong, Dalton had some fine emotional scenes but nothing as powerful or as moving as the end of Skyfall.

That and I think he sells the lighter stuff better on the whole.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Sean_Bean__1566553a.jpg

That reminds me of a story that was published in the local paper, a year or two ago. Two transvestites went out for a drink. They were minding thier own business, when a group of yobs decided that the transvestives needed a beating. Unfortunately for the yobs, the transvestites also happened to be cage fighters. You can guess the outcome of the fight.
    Of course Babs thinks that Craig is the best Bond. She hand picked him rather than having the actor dropped on her (ala Pierce Brosnan)
    His movies are great (well two out of three) and his third outing has suppassed TB as the "biggest Bond of them all".
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Tuulia wrote:
    ---

Yeah, poor guy...

You have know idea how much you just made my day. =))
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 2,189
    Mod edit: Inappropriate sexual innuendo removed.

Wow, really? All I said was:
    "Just because Craig makes Babz the most 'hot' doesn't make him the best..."
    although I didn't use 'hot' ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Believe me, I know you wouldn't post such a vulgar innuendo on this family site, mate. Allow me to defend you...

You see folks, our dear @sirseanisbond was simply explaining Barbara's love for the various Bond actors meteorologically, with a focus on precipitation. So you see, @sirseanisbond is simply rating her love for each Bond actor (specifically Dan) by measuring the heaviness of the rainfall that comes down upon her in this hypothetical sense of course. For instance, she may find Sean's Bond to be devilishly handsome and dangerous, so the rain would be coming down sufficiently hard on her, and she would indeed be a quite damp. On the other hand, if she didn't feel attracted to the aged Roger circa AVTAK, the rain would barely be sprinkling and she would remain rather dry. But since she really, really fancies Dan, the rain is coming down in buckets, soaking her and therefore making her exceedingly "wet." Therefore, since Dan makes her the most "wet" in this meteorological sense, he is by that logic her favorite Bond.

weather-rain-smiley.gif
    :))
    Tuulia wrote:
    ---

Yeah, poor guy...

You have know idea how much you just made my day. =))

:)

Believe me, I know you wouldn't post such a vulgar innuendo on this family site, mate. Allow me to defend you...

You see folks, our dear @sirseanisbond was simply explaining Barbara's love for the various Bond actors meteorologically, with a focus on precipitation. So you see, @sirseanisbond is simply rating her love for each Bond actor (specifically Dan) by measuring the heaviness of the rainfall that comes down upon her in this hypothetical sense of course. For instance, she may find Sean's Bond to be devilishly handsome and dangerous, so the rain would be coming down sufficiently hard on her, and she would indeed be a quite damp. On the other hand, if she didn't feel attracted to the aged Roger circa AVTAK, the rain would barely be sprinkling and she would remain rather dry. But since she really, really fancies Dan, the rain is coming down in buckets, soaking her and therefore making her exceedingly "wet." Therefore, since Dan makes her the most "wet" in this meteorological sense, he is by that logic her favorite Bond.

weather-rain-smiley.gif

=D> =)) ^:)^
    I'm in agreement with her for the most part. This is the Second Golden Age for the franchise, no doubt about it. I think she fancies him so much b/c this is the first Bond actor that is wholly her choice/responsibility. She is stepping out of the shadow of her father for the first time and the critical and financial success is backing up her statements.

The only problem is Craig's popularity, the time constraints between films and pretty soon his age with be a factor. He's 45 this year, the same age Moore was when he took over the role, but I think in much better shape. He can go for many more years b/c he hits the gym like an athlete. He seems very committed to the role but he is busy doing other movies and fitting him in, working around his schedule will be difficult.

I think he'll do the next two and that's it. Babs want him for a lot longer but I don't see that happening. I think he'll beat Roger's tenure in total time (12 years to who knows, maybe 13 with Bond 25 in 2019) but not in total films b/c they are too slow cranking them out.
    The_Reaper wrote:
    He seems very committed to the role but he is busy doing other movies and fitting him in, working around his schedule will be difficult.

What do you mean by "working around his schedule" being difficult? It hasn't been so far. There was 4 years between QOS and SF, so of course he was doing plenty of other stuff, but he has been available when required, just done other stuff in between. He works his schedule around Bonds it seems, not the other way around.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Babs isn't going to say anything contrary is she. It makes no sense to say, "Craig's great but others were better". Besides, the man was a controversial choice and after his first movie he was already being hailed as the best Bond by many, became a global sex icon and with the most recent Bond release making over a BILLION dollars, Babs would have to be astonishingly foolish to not promote Craig as the best.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Babs isn't going to say anything contrary is she. It makes no sense to say, "Craig's great but others were better". Besides, the man was a controversial choice and after his first movie he was already being hailed as the best Bond by many, became a global sex icon and with the most recent Bond release making over a BILLION dollars, Babs would have to be astonishingly foolish to not promote Craig as the best.

She could just say "he is a brilliant Bond", and doesn't have to say "he is the best Bond", though. Yet since she still says the latter, I think she is really quite genuine.
  • Essentially, he's playing the guy that Fleming wrote about in the first chapter of GF, or the last third of CR.

Yeah, a bit like Dalton did almost 20 years earlier ;)

Tim didn't even come close to this level that Dan is now lucky enough to be exploring, in my opinion of course. Though this isn't a hit against Tim; I love his Bond and his films (which I need to see again soon).

I like Tim as Bond but his films sadly were nowhere near the level of Craig's Bond films, LTK is a massive favourite of mine but comes off like a eposide of Miami Vice thankfully the bad guys (Davi and Del toro) and Dalton are amazing. I always feel Dalton is the Bond Fan choice who still doesn't think the Blond Blue Eye Craig was right for Bond choice as he's the closet to how Craig plays Bond.

Anyway I think Craig is the best Bond simply he brings so much to the role. CR and SF are the two best Bond films in the Canon imo. Craig has shown Bond a more human side that makes you care more plus when it comes to the action side of things no one comes close. I think his record right now proves it and hopefully he can finish it off with more classic Bond films.
    Essentially, he's playing the guy that Fleming wrote about in the first chapter of GF, or the last third of CR.

Tim didn't even come close to this level that Dan is now lucky enough to be exploring, in my opinion of course. Though this isn't a hit against Tim; I love his Bond and his films (which I need to see again soon).

I like Tim as Bond but his films sadly were nowhere near the level of Craig's Bond films, LTK is a massive favourite of mine but comes off like a eposide of Miami Vice thankfully the bad guys (Davi and Del toro) and Dalton are amazing. I always feel Dalton is the Bond Fan choice who still doesn't think the Blond Blue Eye Craig was right for Bond choice as he's the closet to how Craig plays Bond.

Anyway I think Craig is the best Bond simply he brings so much to the role. CR and SF are the two best Bond films in the Canon imo. Craig has shown Bond a more human side that makes you care more plus when it comes to the action side of things no one comes close. I think his record right now proves it and hopefully he can finish it off with more classic Bond films.

I fully agree about Dan. It would be interesting to see how each Bond actor from Sean to Pierce would have been perceived if they all had the chance to play a Bond as straight faced and deep as Dan and to a slightly lesser extent, Tim. If I could rank who came closest to playing the Bond Tim and Dan have played, I would say George and Sean would likely be next, followed by Pierce and then Roger as far as depth in the character of Bond goes.
  • Essentially, he's playing the guy that Fleming wrote about in the first chapter of GF, or the last third of CR.

I fully agree about Dan. It would be interesting to see how each Bond actor from Sean to Pierce would have been perceived if they all had the chance to play a Bond as straight faced and deep as Dan and to a slightly lesser extent, Tim. If I could rank who came closest to playing the Bond Tim and Dan have played, I would say George and Sean would likely be next, followed by Pierce and then Roger as far as depth in the character of Bond goes.

Sean in FRWl and Dr No, showed a cold blooded nasty side to Bond which from Goldfinger onward never really showed itself again cause the gadgets and OTT started to overtake the character. I think he would have killed for what Daniel got as would have Tim. Roger simply wasn't and isn't that type of actor to play Bond dead serious. Brosnan wasn't an actor of the quality of Craig or Dalton to pull it off for me. George had the physical side but wasn't really an actor but he did a great job with OHMSS.
    I think Sean in GF and TB has some great cold moments. Like how devastated he is over Jill's death, and so much so that M threatens to pull him off the mission. When he is on the laser table you can see in his eyes how fearful he is, and barely makes it out alive, if only by fast talking Goldfinger. In TB, he has a sad look when he realizes Paula has taken her cyanide, and he looks completely unsettled when he is shot and running for his life during the parade. My point is, Sean had some deep moments.

As for George, he does a passable job and does really have some moments. The only sad thing is all we get is his physical performance since he was unfortunately dubbed endlessly. It is something I could live without in the film, but oh well.
    Essentially, he's playing the guy that Fleming wrote about in the first chapter of GF, or the last third of CR.

I also fully agree about Daniel.
    And I agree about CR and SF.

Your mention of blue eyes made me wonder if people actually complained about that, too... I wasn't following the crap at the time that closely and I don't remember, but I imagine many actually did complain about that. Did anyone complain about those Bond actors who didn't have blue eyes that their eyes are the wrong colour, I wonder... Fleming's Bond has blue eyes, after all. :P

• Tuulia wrote:

I also fully agree about Daniel.
    And I agree about CR and SF.

Your mention of blue eyes made me wonder if people actually complained about that, too... I wasn't following the crap at the time that closely and I don't remember, but I imagine many actually did complain about that. Did anyone complain about those Bond actors who didn't have blue eyes that their eyes are the wrong colour, I wonder... Fleming's Bond has blue eyes, after all. :P

They complained about his height, hair, looks everything. I couldn't care less if he has ginger hair as long as i feel he's playing the character the way he should be played which Craig has nailed on since the start.

• edited April 2013 Posts: 3,494

You're absolutely right - as soon as I posted, I wanted to edit my post to mention Dalton.

Dalton is my third favorite, and he also did a great job portraying a conflicted Bond. However, he was less believable than Craig in the love scenes and with the quips. To be fair, I think the quips in Dalton's films weren't written to his strengths the way that Craig's are written to his (Connery, Moore & Craig have each had their own "style" of humor in the role, whereas I don't think the writers ever quite found the right tone for Tim). I think the love scenes in Dalton's films just weren't terribly well-written, particularly in LTK.

More than anything, I think what hurt Dalton was his haircut. Laugh if you must, but a lot of people complain that Dalton doesn't "look" like Bond, and I think the only reason for that is that mop of hair. TLD is one of my favorite Bonds, and I think that film would have a MUCH better reputation if they'd trimmed a few inches. :)

I have to say that I disagree with some of my fellow Daltonites regards their dismissal of Craig as being far inferior to Dalton, because there are so many similarities between the two it isn't funny. Craig is very close to Fleming Bond much like Dalton when you look past the garbage the original press and the DCINB crew puts out "he's blond, he's a thug, yawn, yawn, yawn" and below the surface for the motivations and inner thoughts of the character. Every bit the great actor as well. Much agreed with the comparison in love scenes and quips, although Dalton and D'Abo were great together, I think she made that happen more than he did. Craig is much more an active participant in making those scenes he gets work out. Action-wise, Craig is right there with Connery and Lazenby, and he's got that Connery/Dalton "don't mess with me" look in his eyes often.

What I'd disagree with is the sentiment that Dalton's "didn't" look like Bond. He very much fit the traditional mold, Dracula look aside, as far as hair color. It was a different time from the 1960's with the short above the ear look (hmmm, don't some people complain about this in regards to Craig?), and longer hair on a man tended to be a bit more "in" and acceptable in those days, as a man who enjoyed much success with the ladies with my own hair down to just about my elbows back then, I can attest personally to that :)

• What I'd disagree with is the sentiment that Dalton's "didn't" look like Bond. He very much fit the traditional mold, Dracula look aside, as far as hair color. It was a different time from the 1960's with the short above the ear look (hmmm, don't some people complain about this in regards to Craig?), and longer hair on a man tended to be a bit more "in" and acceptable in those days, as a man who enjoyed much success with the ladies with my own hair down to just about my elbows back then, I can attest personally to that :)

While that's no doubt true, I think every other Bond managed to simultaneously look of their decade, while maintaining a classical look. I get the sense that Beatles-hating Connery Bond would have approved of Craig and Brosnan's haircuts, but would have called Dalton a damn hippie. ;)
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Basically I think there are 4 convincing Bonds - those being Connery, Laz, Dalts and Craig. All can play the deadly double-0 agent just fine. Rog and Broz IMO both lacked in the menace department, so I set them aside for now. They both had their strengths, but portraying a menacing dangerous agent convincingly, was not among them.
    Of the remaining 4, I think Connery and Laz were both perfect. They also both combined the other needed Bond elements such as right look, natural athleticism, mature but youthful swagger, style, humour and an aloofness and arrogance that I like in the role, and that I think Fleming brought out as well. Fleming's Bond could be cocky as hell.
    IMO neither Dalts nor Craig measure up to the first two Bonds as complete packages. Craig flat out doesn't have the right look. It does distract from his performance, because one can't help but be constantly aware of it. He doesn't have the same looming screen presence that a taller 6'2 man would have such as Connery or Laz, or even Dalts who did have commanding stature. Fleming wrote Bond as tall and both Connery and Laz effortlessly brought this vital element along with panther like gaits.
    Where Dalts loses me somewhat is that he tried too hard to portray both a vulnerable and human side of Bond. This attempt appears to have been rejected by theatre audiences as well. Othewise Dalts was pretty good. So I'd rank Connery on a pedestal as #1 and the ultimate screen Bond. Laz a strong #2, Dalts a decent #3 and Craig (who again IMO really shouldn't be in the mix because of having the wrong look) as #4, because he can at least play the part quite well, when it comes to being action Bond, and fighting his way out of tight spots and he has some other performance attributes.
    But if I had to include Broz and Rog in an overall 6 ranking, they both bump Craig down further because of their other attributes. Rog gets #4 because he does have a strong screen presence and does perfectly look the part, even if he can't quite bring the menace. He brings charm and wit and can play it tough sometimes. Broz gets #5 because he at least does have the right look and charm (even if it comes across as smarm occasionally) and he does have his Bond-tough moments, but his performces are uneven IMO. Sometimes he's on, sometime he's off.
    But Craig I do have to drop to the bottom mainly because he is at such a disadvantage with not having the right look. Its impossible for him to look like Bond. Even in 1973, John Pearson in the JB Authorized Biography, updated Fleming's early '50s Bond from 6' to 6'2" and of course he was not only tall, but also dark and handsome. Craig is neither tall, nor dark haired, nor classicly handsome. Just looking at him, always throws me off, because he looks nothing like how I envision Flemings Bond.
    I applaud his efforts but I can't rank him well against the others.
    What Babs needs to do, to get back to Bond basics, is get a big poster of prime Connery-Bond to hang on her wall and ogle. :x
    As for hair -short hair was quite square in the '70s and thus appropriate for Bond. But short hair became perfectly acceptable for anyone again in the '80s, and still is, i.e. not square.
    Dalts hair was yes somewhat off in LTK. Even square old Rog was a tad shaggy in the '80s. Something about the '80s. Nobody looked good. Short-haired or long-haired. It was a hideous decade, fashion wise. You had the post new-wavers, the Duranies etc competing with the cheesy hard-rock hair-bands, trying to outdo each other for MTV supremacy, while everyone else it seems, including our poor Bond, got caught in the middle somewhere.
    I think the insanity subsided with the end of this best forgotten decade.
  • Barbara Broccoli's statement seems to be an intentional one to hurt the feelings of most ardent fans of Connery/Bond. She seems to have forgotten the roots! Till this world exist the undeniable fact is "Sean Connery IS James Bond". Just by fluke the movie Skyfall has been projected as the highest grosser and for promoting her business she has to say like this only!! Whoever dons the role of Bond, Connery is the Bench Mark to be compared with. She or her company may have internal problems with Connery but she should not have gone to this extent. Her statement further fortifies that Connery is the undisputed King in the minds of Bond fans, even Craig's conscience would accept this.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 4,622
    senthilvel wrote:
    Barbara Broccoli's statement seems to be an intentional one to hurt the feelings of most ardent fans of Connery/Bond .
    Babs can't hurt my feelings though. Not possible, but yes she does seem to really really want the world to declare Craig as best Bond ever.
    Sorry, not going to happen. Don't worry Sean will always be king. That contest was over with the completion of TB. Connery aced four films in a row and built Bondmania. Sean was of course superb in both YOLT and DAF too, but his performance by then was leveled off. He had already peaked. Kind of like post-Pepper Beatles or post-Let-It-Bleed Stones. Perfection cannot be improved upon.

timmer wrote:
    senthilvel wrote:
    Barbara Broccoli's statement seems to be an intentional one to hurt the feelings of most ardent fans of Connery/Bond .
    Babs can't hurt my feelings though. Not possible, but yes she does seem to really really want the world to declare Craig as best Bond ever.
    Sorry, not going to happen. Don't worry Sean will always be king. That contest was over with the completion of TB. Connery aced four films in a row and built Bondmania. Sean was of course superb in both YOLT and DAF too, but his performance by then was leveled off. He had already peaked. Kind of like post-Pepper Beatles or post-Let-It-Bleed Stones. Perfection cannot be improved upon.

Perfection doesn't exist.
  • I'd agree that Craig is the best. Connery has a special place for being the first and establishing much of the iconography, but objectively speaking, I do believe that Craig is the best Bond ever. Of course that's entirely a matter of opinion, and I can understand why many would say otherwise.
    I'd agree that Craig is the best. Connery has a special place for being the first and establishing much of the iconography, but objectively speaking, I do believe that Craig is the best Bond ever. Of course that's entirely a matter of opinion, and I can understand why many would say otherwise.
    If it is a matter of your opinion then you are not objectively speaking.
    Slated for release in 2016?

I do hope thats just shoddy journalism rather than based on any sort of fact.
    Why slated for 2016 he be in late 40 & that will be the 10th Anniversary when he started & did the reboot. He my one Favourite 007s. He will do the 4th but after never reached to his 5th if delaying. This we know happen with one of other fellows Timothy Dalton who would been great Bond but age caught up him. So age catching me too. I 2 younger then Daniel Craig.