Barbara Broccoli: Craig is best Bond

edited April 2013 in Actors Posts: 37
Interesting article - although wouldn't a producer always promote their current star as the best?!

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.874&article=99749

Wednesday, 3 April 2013
Barbara Broccoli: Craig is best Bond
Bond producer Barbara Broccoli says Daniel Craig is the "greatest Bond ever".
Daniel Craig has been hailed as the "greatest Bond ever" by producer Barbara Broccoli.
The 52-year-old has been working on the franchise since the '80s, and is the daughter of original Bond producer Albert R. 'Cubby' Broccoli. She claims the current 007 is the best, putting him ahead of icons such as Sir Sean Connery, Sir Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan. Daniel thrilled cinemagoers with his third outing as Bond in last year's Skyfall, and Barbara is determined to keep the star involved in the series for as long as possible.
"Ask any woman. He's the most gorgeous man in the world," she told British newspaper The Mirror.
"Brilliant actor, and he is the greatest Bond ever. I'm not letting him go, not for a long time."
Michael G. Wilson, who is a Bond co-producer and Barbara's half-brother, has echoed her sentiments.
He hopes Daniel will continue to play the suave spy for years to come.
"He's stuck in the role for a while," Michael smiled.
Work has started on the next instalment in the series, currently titled Bond 24. The script is being written by John Logan and a director is yet to be announced. Sam Mendes recently revealed he has not signed up for the new movie, despite the success of Skyfall.
Barbara has admitted she was "devastated" by Sam's decision but didn't rule out working with him again in the future. The producer also remains confident movie bosses will secure the services of a top director for Bond 24.
"We'll find someone terrific, and hopefully we'll come out with another film as good," she vowed.
Bond 24 is slated for release in 2016.

© Cover Media Group 2013

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Slated for release in 2016?

I do hope thats just shoddy journalism rather than based on any sort of fact.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    shoddy journalism

That's it.

This is already being discussed here anyway: http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5539/daniel-craig-appreciation-and-news/p8#Item_220

It's just a mix of many articles, some at least a month old.
  • Yes to shoddy journalism, I'll be shocked if we don't get the next later than 2014. As for Barb's statement, some will agree, I will stick by Sir Sean of the classic 5 thank you very much :)
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Is it bad that I read the bottom as

"Carver Media Group 2013" and not "Cover Media Group 2013"

Anyone else? Like, I legitimately thought it was a joke or something.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Is it bad that I read the bottom as

"Carver Media Group 2013" and not "Cover Media Group 2013"

Anyone else? Like, I legitimately thought it was a joke or something.

well that would explain the shoddy journalism considering how Carver treats his anchormen ;)
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 2,189
    Mod edit: Inappropriate sexual innuendo removed.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Inappropriate sexual innuendo removed.

crass, but that does seem to be the case. oh well. Amore. :x
    Personally I don't think there is even a discussion to be had. Sean is King.
    The others genuflect and engage a 5-way battle for best successor.
    It's a great debate, although I slam dunk Laz into the two spot. The battle for 3-6 has me all over the map though. It always seems to be changing.
    Good job she does fancy him - thats why she pushed so hard for him.

Its between dan and sean for best. Personally i find dans performance better. But apart from frwl seans stories didn't require it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    actonsteve wrote:
    Good job she does fancy him - thats why she pushed so hard for him.

Its between dan and sean for best. Personally i find dans performance better. But apart from frwl seans stories didn't require it.

I agree. Dan as far as performances go takes the cake and runs with it in my view. It must be noted though that Sean gives some great performances in his films, most notably DN, FRWL, GF and TB where we see Bond's dark, caring and light side all on one compelling spectrum. He sells scenes and emotions like fear, anger, sadness and vengeance so well, just like Dan does, and that is why they are basically tied at my #1 Bond spot. I think I will honor them both and let it remain a tie, since whenever anyone says "James Bond" they instantly enter my mind to the tune of Barry's music.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited April 2013 Posts: 4,399
    this isnt surprising at all....

it's common knowledge by now that Barbara loves Dan, and was the one pushing hard for him to land the role of Bond to begin with....

but what producer is going to go out there and say "Well, the current guy is good - but a couple of the older ones, including Sean were better." - thats what some fans might want to hear, but she is also promoting a product, and you'd have ZERO business sense to go out and promote a new model of something and instantly say some of the older models might be better...

it's all about marketing. :)
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    daniels the best cos me and him were born in the same hospital and hes never dun a bad film other than quantum of solace which isnt that bad
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    samainsy wrote:
    daniels the best cos me and him were born in the same hospital and hes never dun a bad film other than quantum of solace which isnt that bad

Despite your apparent disregard for grammar, punctuation, and phrase construction I still feel the need to point that apparently, he wasn't born in a hospital so there goes your (sort of) logic.
    Sandy wrote:
    samainsy wrote:

Despite your apparent disregard for grammar, punctuation, and phrase construction I still feel the need to point that apparently, he wasn't born in a hospital so there goes your (sort of) logic.

well same city then
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 23,559
    That makes him a great actor then? ;-) The folks of London, Ontario must be proud of Justin Bieber then...
    samainsy wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    samainsy wrote:

well same city then

no wait we were born in the same hospital
    Daniel was born at home as far as I know and was wrapped into the Guradian.
    no it says on the internet he wasnt born at home
    Barbara Broccoli: Craig is the best Bond

Mark Black: No he isn't :P

I like him and he's probably the best actor out of all of them but he can't hold a candle to Dalts imo. I'd rank him 3rd or 4th personally.

Not surprising Broccoli thinks that though as she obviously fancies him.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Who is that guy talking about me? :O

I am famous :bz
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    samainsy wrote:
    no it says on the internet he wasnt born at home

The internet said it? Oh, well we apologize, it must be true then! 8-|
    Germanlady wrote:
    Who is that guy talking about me? :O

I am famous :bz

@Sandy made that with the meme generator... ;))

http://imgflip.com/memegenerator
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Yeah, but WHO is the guy?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Germanlady wrote:

That's Boromir. He wanted to take the ring to Mordor.

• edited April 2013 Posts: 2,189
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

No he's the guy on seccond, WHO's on first?
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

You mean to Gondor as one does not simply walk into Mordor... the black gates are guarded by something more than just orcs.
    Germanlady wrote:

Notice that he's also 006 Alec Trevelyan.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:

Sean Bean. AKA Sharpe, Trevelayn in Goldeneye, the baddy in patriot games, somebody in Lord Of The Rings (I haven't seen it), Spence in Ronin, etc.

He's a fantastic actor and a certified badass famous for dying in everything he stars in. He also recently became a tranny.

Sean_Bean__1566553a.jpg

I joke about that but he was actually really, really good in it (The Accused, the show he did it for). Brilliant actor.

• Connery is still my favorite, but Craig is pretty much undeniably the best actor in the role. To be fair, he's also been given scripts that allow to show more range than Connery.

I think the main thing Craig has been given the opportunity to do is show a conflicted Bond - a guy who's not fully comfortable with who he is or what he does, but manages to keep those feelings just below the surface most of the time. Essentially, he's playing the guy that Fleming wrote about in the first chapter of GF, or the last third of CR. Connery's Bond showed a range of other emotions, but always seemed completely sure of himself. The one exception perhaps being the beach scene with Domino, when he clearly feels guilty about using her - but even then, they put him in sunglasses so he couldn't show TOO much emotion.
    Essentially, he's playing the guy that Fleming wrote about in the first chapter of GF, or the last third of CR.

Yeah, a bit like Dalton did almost 20 years earlier ;)
  • Essentially, he's playing the guy that Fleming wrote about in the first chapter of GF, or the last third of CR.

You're absolutely right - as soon as I posted, I wanted to edit my post to mention Dalton.

Dalton is my third favorite, and he also did a great job portraying a conflicted Bond. However, he was less believable than Craig in the love scenes and with the quips. To be fair, I think the quips in Dalton's films weren't written to his strengths the way that Craig's are written to his (Connery, Moore & Craig have each had their own "style" of humor in the role, whereas I don't think the writers ever quite found the right tone for Tim). I think the love scenes in Dalton's films just weren't terribly well-written, particularly in LTK.

More than anything, I think what hurt Dalton was his haircut. Laugh if you must, but a lot of people complain that Dalton doesn't "look" like Bond, and I think the only reason for that is that mop of hair. TLD is one of my favorite Bonds, and I think that film would have a MUCH better reputation if they'd trimmed a few inches. :)
    Essentially, he's playing the guy that Fleming wrote about in the first chapter of GF, or the last third of CR.

Tim didn't even come close to this level that Dan is now lucky enough to be exploring, in my opinion of course. Though this isn't a hit against Tim; I love his Bond and his films (which I need to see again soon).