Sam Mendes to direct Bond 24?

1161719212242

Comments

  • Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Well Cubby WAS American - people tend to forget that :p

    You seem to have been more critical than appreciative of Craig in the past @Getafix. I recall you pointing how he stands with his legs apart. What about his pouting and Terminator-style running? ;)

    I'm not on German Lady's level of appreciation for DC but I think he's okay. Not as good as Sean, Rog or Tim, but light years away from your hero Brosnan. And for that at least I will always be grateful to Babs for finally sacking Brozza.

  • Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote:
    I completely agree. This knee-jerk anti-Americanism is typical British parochialism. (...) The idea that it has to be a Brit or (for some inexplicable reason) someone from the Commonwealth, is pathetic.

    You can extend the anti-Americanism you perceive in this case to far more than the UK : Europe at least (where SF was even more successful than it was globally, and producers usually notice such things). I think that for many, Bond not being directed by an American is mostly a sign it will somehow stay different from the "Hollywood blockbuster" mass production, and yet that does not mean you "hate" America. I think you can like Bond and James Cameron and Spielberg and Will Smith and Downey Jr at the same time, and still hope not to see all this mixed together in future.


    I am not advocating an American for the sake of it. I think EON should simply hire the best person for the job, and if that person happens to be an American then that's fine. Frankly, particularly during the Brosnan era, we had some pretty random choices and it would perhaps have made more sense to hire a good American director instead of scraping around with these random Commonwealth characters.

    It's also worth bearing in mind that there is a lot more to American film-making than just Hollywood.

    I don't want Bond to be treated as formulaic, generic action movie nonsense (that's to you Pierce), but do you really believe a director like Spielberg would have done a worse job than Tamahori? Even now, when he's on form, Spielberg can deliver brilliantly.
  • Posts: 11,119
    Tuulia wrote:

    I....actually admire Barbara and Michael a lot. They are wun-der-ful producers. And obviously they live in a 'happiness bubble' because of 'Skyfall' ;) . The good thing about it is, that they really want to stick to a 'Skyfall-approach'. That's truly logical and understandable. The next Bond director needs at least have a Mendes-like quality if I hear them talking so vividly. The bad thing about all this is.........keep searching now for a new Bond director Babs and Michael! Nowww :-O!! There's no time to loose if you want to have a similar great Bond director, especially looking at scheduling conflicts from the bigger name directors.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Posts: 2,044
    I was just thinking, if Mendes quite recently rejected the role as a director. Does that mean that he saw a new draft of the script for not so long time ago and decided that he wasn't the man to do it?

    Because at the BAFTAs he said that "he would return if the story was right". And if it's not right, does that imply that Bond 24 might be somewhat different?
  • Posts: 498
    MrBond wrote:
    I was just thinking, if Mendes quite recently rejected the role as a director. Does that mean that he saw a new draft of the script for not so long time ago and decided that he wasn't the man to do it?

    Because at the BAFTAs he said that "he would return if the story was right". And if it's not right, does that imply that Bond 24 might be somewhat different?

    I have a strong feeling , that the outline which he saw was more focused on the flair of James Bond and with comparatively more action.
    My honest opinion on him is that he can only direct in the realm of drama. he must have felt that he would have tainted his reputation , if he would have attempted B24
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    Skyfail wrote:
    I have a strong feeling , that the outline which he saw was more focused on the flair of James Bond and with comparatively more action.

    Do you have any circumstantial evidence to back this up? The only thing I've seen from Logan is his inference that B24 will be character led.
  • Posts: 498
    RC7 wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    I have a strong feeling , that the outline which he saw was more focused on the flair of James Bond and with comparatively more action.

    Do you have any circumstantial evidence to back this up? The only thing I've seen from Logan is his inference that B24 will be character led.

    Nope, Sorry I don't , but do you remember the Daily Mirror/Mail. The website that broke the scoop of Adele doing Skyfall amongst other things. They had mentioned that Sam Mendes is 75% certain on doing B24 ,he's just waiting to get a look at the outline and seeing if he's capable of doing it. By logic he must have seen it and felt that he's not the man for the job like I had written earlier.

  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    Skyfail wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    I have a strong feeling , that the outline which he saw was more focused on the flair of James Bond and with comparatively more action.

    Do you have any circumstantial evidence to back this up? The only thing I've seen from Logan is his inference that B24 will be character led.

    Nope, Sorry I don't , but do you remember the Daily Mirror/Mail. The website that broke the scoop of Adele doing Skyfall amongst other things. They had mentioned that Sam Mendes is 75% certain on doing B24 ,he's just waiting to get a look at the outline and seeing if he's capable of doing it. By logic he must have seen it and felt that he's not the man for the job like I had written earlier.

    I've no doubt that is very possible. I'm just not so convinced it is because of a shift away from character and into action. It's more likely that, if he didn't find Logan's story to his taste, it would be because they had differing views on the motivations and direction of the character rather than a car chase.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Posts: 13,309
    RC7 wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    I have a strong feeling , that the outline which he saw was more focused on the flair of James Bond and with comparatively more action.

    Do you have any circumstantial evidence to back this up? The only thing I've seen from Logan is his inference that B24 will be character led.

    Nope, Sorry I don't , but do you remember the Daily Mirror/Mail. The website that broke the scoop of Adele doing Skyfall amongst other things. They had mentioned that Sam Mendes is 75% certain on doing B24 ,he's just waiting to get a look at the outline and seeing if he's capable of doing it. By logic he must have seen it and felt that he's not the man for the job like I had written earlier.

    I've no doubt that is very possible. I'm just not so convinced it is because of a shift away from character and into action. It's more likely that, if he didn't find Logan's story to his taste, it would be because they had differing views on the motivations and direction of the character rather than a car chase.

    He may also have felt to make the film that he wanted to would take longer than two years, so not being able to meet the 2014 release date, left.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 498
    RC7 wrote:

    they had differing views on the motivations and direction of the character rather than a car chase.

    Haha! :))

    Of course! that's very much possible .

    My personal opinion is that he's capable only in the realm of drama. I am sure you don't agree with me, that's quite alright. I have a feeling he must have seen a rough outline and if there's more action or a little less weightage on the drama ,he might have felt that he wouldn't have delivered on that front and his reputation would have suffered .

    But then again I am not saying your wrong. I guess we both won't know until and unless we get some more information on production.
  • Posts: 154
    I think it's a shame that Sam isn't returning to Bond 24 as his professional influence and admiration and love for the franchise was very beneficial for Skyfall.

    However I'm sure he's not the only talented director out there who has great affection for James Bond! I'm very excited to see what someone new can bring to the table.
  • Posts: 12,505

    He's still here?
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    Samuel001 wrote:
    He may also have felt to make the film that he wanted to would take longer than two years, so not being able to meet the 2014 release date, left.

    This is more along my train of thought. I think he could've made in two but he's got quite a hectic year with other projects, and they're making a documentary about his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory production. If he'd had nothing on his plate he probably would have done it, I imagine.
  • RENEGADE_GANGRENEGADE_GANG Banned
    edited March 2013 Posts: 11

    He's still here?

    Who is he?

    Anyways yes, I.am very glad Mendes is out of the picture, he did a horrid job with skyfall IMO. Hopefully we have a more serious B24 with a actual story and good script, and do less with the
    constant action and childish gimmicks.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Posts: 2,044

    He's still here?

    Could I buy you a chicken dinner sometime?

    Have you ever heard about the "Ian Fleming Manuever"? No?

    Good, that's the manuever EVERYONE pulls on you. So please, get the point and leave!
  • RENEGADE_GANGRENEGADE_GANG Banned
    edited March 2013 Posts: 11
    Could you please not derail the topic at hand.

    Thank-you
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited March 2013 Posts: 2,044
    Calm down buddy

    Please don't call me "buddy".
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 20,011

    He's still here?

    Who is he?

    Anyways yes, I.am very glad Mendes is out of the picture, he did a horrid job with skyfall IMO. Hopefully we have a more serious B24 with a actual story and good script, and do less with the
    constant action and childish gimmicks.

    There goes the validity of your statement, friend. I count a few action scenes but certainly no more than in previous Bonds. Awkward point you're trying to drive home.

  • Posts: 498
    DarthDimi wrote:

    He's still here?

    Who is he?

    Anyways yes, I.am very glad Mendes is out of the picture, he did a horrid job with skyfall IMO. Hopefully we have a more serious B24 with a actual story and good script, and do less with the
    constant action and childish gimmicks.

    There goes the validity of your statement, friend. I count a few action scenes but certainly no more than in previous Bonds. Awkward point you're trying to drive home.

    In the previous thread you had created Renegade , I thought you had some valid points.
    But you just contradicted yourself with that statement.

  • RENEGADE_GANGRENEGADE_GANG Banned
    Posts: 11
    skyfall was a subpar piece of thrash compared to Casino Royale . case closed. goodbye
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 20,011
    skyfall was a subpar piece of thrash compared to Casino Royale . case closed. goodbye

    Ironically, the only weakness I detect in CR is the Venice action sequence which felt action for action sake.
  • Posts: 264
    Thank the lord!! I was saying to my gf yesterday that if he directed it I wouldn't even watch it...
  • Posts: 11,425
    DarthDimi wrote:
    skyfall was a subpar piece of thrash compared to Casino Royale . case closed. goodbye

    Ironically, the only weakness I detect in CR is the Venice action sequence which felt action for action sake.

    No - it's definitely the Miami airport chase that feels like action for action's sake.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,090
    Getafix wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    skyfall was a subpar piece of thrash compared to Casino Royale . case closed. goodbye

    Ironically, the only weakness I detect in CR is the Venice action sequence which felt action for action sake.

    No - it's definitely the Miami airport chase that feels like action for action's sake.

    I agree with this. Personally, I don't have a problem with any of the action in CR and unlike many people here I actually like the Venice action set piece but as good as the Miami airport set piece is, it definitely feels shoehorned in.
  • Posts: 2,081
    ^^ I agree as well. I've always felt the Miami airport scene goes on for too long and therefore starts to get boring. I like the way it ends, but it should end sooner.
  • Posts: 11,425
    doubleoego wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    skyfall was a subpar piece of thrash compared to Casino Royale . case closed. goodbye

    Ironically, the only weakness I detect in CR is the Venice action sequence which felt action for action sake.

    No - it's definitely the Miami airport chase that feels like action for action's sake.

    I agree with this. Personally, I don't have a problem with any of the action in CR and unlike many people here I actually like the Venice action set piece but as good as the Miami airport set piece is, it definitely feels shoehorned in.

    Yes, I like the palazzo collapsing into the canal. It's a rather elegant sequence IMO and the model/CGI work looks very good. I give it a resounding thumbs up.
  • Posts: 1,407
    Bond needed to foil LeChiffree's plan to blow up Skyfleet so he could then set up the poker game. I see it as the most nessasary action in the film
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I've missed you all.
    Posts: 28,416
    skyfall was a subpar piece of thrash compared to Casino Royale . case closed. goodbye
    Why is this imbecile still here?
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,081
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Bond needed to foil LeChiffree's plan to blow up Skyfleet so he could then set up the poker game. I see it as the most nessasary action in the film

    It was necessary, but I just didn't really like the way it was done.

  • Posts: 612
    Getafix wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    skyfall was a subpar piece of thrash compared to Casino Royale . case closed. goodbye

    Ironically, the only weakness I detect in CR is the Venice action sequence which felt action for action sake.

    No - it's definitely the Miami airport chase that feels like action for action's sake.

    God forbid, an action movie with action? Yikes.
Sign In or Register to comment.