What if Goldeneye was composed by John Barry?

Comments

Dr_Metz wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Make Sean Bean Bond and it'd be the perfect Bond film!
    Why do you think Sean Bean would have been a better Bond than Brosnan in GoldenEye?

Simple - any one would have been better.

Getafix wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Why do you think Sean Bean would have been a better Bond than Brosnan in GoldenEye?

Please, the "Brosnan was the antichrist when it came to Bond actors" is so passé. I might not like Brosnan, but he isn't completely unwatchable.
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Please, the "Brosnan was the antichrist when it came to Bond actors" is so passé. I might not like Brosnan, but he isn't completely unwatchable.

Disagree. Brozza is the Star Wars prequel of the Bond series.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,691
    I sincerly hope that when Bond #7's tenure will start, Craig will get immense amount of vitriol and bashing and whining and bitching and moaning and complaining towards his Bond and his outings... just so that the Craig fans will understand what it was like to be a Brosnan fan during the 2006-2012 years.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    I sincerly hope that when Bond #7's tenure will start, Craig will get immense amount of vitriol and bashing and whining and bitching and moaning and complaining towards his Bond and his outings... just so that the Craig fans will understand what it was like to be a Brosnan fan during the 2006-2012 years.
    It's funny, because when Brosnan was Bond, people didn't really make fun of him that much from what I remember. It's only after Craig came along that everyone jumped on the Anti-Brosnan bandwagon.

• I'm no great fancier of either Brosnan or Craig but will admit both have provided us with at least one outstanding Bond adventure, neither are the finished article and can't really compare to Connery early days but both have provided the audience with some fine contributions

I doubt it. Craig's performance in CR (and even in QoS) has cleansed the palate and restored some virility to a frankly floppy franchise. Even if Skyfall is a total dud, he's already done enough to ensure respect, if not perhaps immortality.

Dr_Metz wrote:
    It's funny, because when Brosnan was Bond, people didn't really make fun of him that much from what I remember. It's only after Craig came along that everyone jumped on the Anti-Brosnan bandwagon.

Not me. I could never stand him. If there was a bandwagon, I was driving it. He ruined the late 90s and early 2000s for me.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Getafix wrote:
    I doubt it. Craig's performance in CR (and even in QoS) has cleansed the palate and restored some virility to a frankly floppy franchise. Even if Skyfall is a total dud, he's already done enough to ensure respect, if not perhaps immortality.

YAWN........ brosnan wasn't massivly bashed during his tenure, so I hope Craig gets the same treatment once he quits... your opinion has nothing to do with it. Brosnan was very popular in the 90's, maybe a little less than Craig now, but still he was very much liked during the 1995-2002 period... so I hope Craig gets insulted by everyone and his films turned into ridicule after he quits the role....

I am sincerly tired of Craig fans worshiping Craig like he was the second coming after the 'devil' Brosnan......

You should be thankful that DAD was made, because without that film, there would be no Craig as Bond.... remember this now.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    I am sincerly tired of Craig fans worshiping Craig like he was the second coming after the 'devil' Brosnan......
    Same. Although it's Craig's Bond films that I really despise. CR was an awful Bond film, with QoS only being a minor improvement.

• 'Craig has done enough already to earn immortality'

Might want to reconsider. Craig gave us a fine debut that was a shot in the arm from the last time out but while not all his doing, QOS was a shambles and Craig still has something to prove one would imagine, having one very good Bond film does not constitute greatness from some angles. Suppose Connery had done just Doctor No, would we be talking all these years later about how super the man was in the part on the basis of one release, no, Connery got respect and recognition for providing us with subsequent good performances such as Russia, for the most part Goldfinger and Thunderball, may have gone a bit downhill after that but point being it takes more than one fine turn out from any Bond actor to be considered anywhere near greatness
    IMO, the Craig worshiping and constant Brosnan bashing should be toned down on this website... it always feels like if you don't like Craig and/or you love Brosnan, you are an insult to Bond fans... seriously stop spitting on people's opinion... it isn't a written rule/fact that Craig is great and that Brosnan horrible.... it's all down to opinions, and I wish some people would stop polarizing Craig and Brosnan so much..... I wish people wouldn't be up in arms everytime someone dares to critisize Craig or dares put Brosnan in a good light.... I feel total animosity between Brosnan fans and Craig fans..... which IMO should not be allowed..... all other fans of the different Bond get along very well.... so I wish DC's and PB's fan would shake hands and stop being so mean to each other..... Connery and Moore fans get along very well, so I don't see why PB and DC fans can't do the same..... I just wish that some members here wouldn't have such extreme differences in their opinions on Brosnan and Craig....
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350

That's one of main problems though many people and not just fans think he is the best since Connery.

Did they think that of Brosnan at the time? I'm not too sure.

Should Craig keep making quality Bond films, I don't think they'll be any backlash. Brosnan only has one good film out of four in the majority of fans mind's whereas Craig could have only one bad film!

You can see why Brosnan is the target, he has the least success record for many, someone had to, and sadly for those who like him, it's Brosnan.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    That's one of main problems though many people and not just fans think he is the best since Connery.

Well I am tired of it. Craig just gets wayyyyyyy to many accolades and worshiping IMO... maybe he is good/great for some but please don't exaggerate it so much.... Let's wait for his tenure to be over before yelling he's the second coming. I understand that people love Craig... but don't be so extreme about it.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Doesn't mean he deserves the constant bashing he gets on here.

Samuel001 wrote:
    whereas Craig could have only one bad film!
    Yeah, out of two films. That means most fans think half his tenure has been crap.

• edited January 2012 Posts: 11,425
    IMO, the Craig worshiping and constant Brosnan bashing should be toned down on this website... it always feels like if you don't like Craig and/or you love Brosnan, you are an insult to Bond fans... seriously stop spitting on people's opinion... it isn't a written rule/fact that Craig is great and that Brosnan horrible.... it's all down to opinions, and I wish some people would stop polarizing Craig and Brosnan so much..... I wish people wouldn't be up in arms everytime someone dares to critisize Craig or dares put Brosnan in a good light.... I feel total animosity between Brosnan fans and Craig fans..... which IMO should not be allowed..... all other fans of the different Bond get along very well.... so I wish DC's and PB's fan would shake hands and stop being so mean to each other..... Connery and Moore fans get along very well, so I don't see why PB and DC fans can't do the same..... I just wish that some members here wouldn't have such extreme differences in their opinions on Brosnan and Craig....

Think you're getting the wrong end of the stick. Craig fares well mainly by comparison with Brosnan - who was awful - and is not (by me at least) worshipped as some kind of demi-god. It's obviously hard to convince the Brosnan fans, but sadly, there was something simply qualitively inferior about his performance and his films. He was horrifically bad in the role and his films stank. Craig, even in QoS, at no point even approaches the depths of awfulness achieved by the Broz. This is why it is highly unlikely he will posthumously experience the same levels of vitriolic hatred that poor old Pierce attracts.
    Getafix wrote:
    t's obviously hard to convince the Brosnan fans, but sadly, there was something simply qualitively inferior about his performance and his films. He was horrifically bad in the role and his films stank. Craig, even in QoS, at no point even approaches the depths of awfulness achieved by the Broz

I see the Craig fans are always trying to force their opinions down the throat of people that don't agree with them.... IT IS NOT A FACT that Brosnan was 'horrifically bad' or that he films were 'qualitively inferior'... Stop thinking that you have to tell people what they must think..... I wish some people wouldn't be so egocentrical about their opinions.... you don't like a certain Bond ? fine, but don't go around yelling at everyone else that they must follow your opinion and hate that Bond too....

Getafix you are coming off as extremely arrogant.... when I read your Brosnan bashing it reads like you hold the truth about Brosnan and that everyone who disagree with you are wrong..... sorry to burst your bubble but you do not hold the truth about Brosnan..... in your opinion he was appalling, but that is not a fact about him..... people that love Brosnan are not wrong, they are not insults to Bond fans.....
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    whereas Craig could have only one bad film!
    Yeah, out of two films. That means most fans think half his tenure has been crap.

Like I said, so far. Many think it was a blip. Come October that'll be 33% and could well keep going, down and down.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Come October that'll be 33%
    Don't be so sure.

Dr_Metz wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Don't be so sure.

Of course I'm not certain, but this new film is looking rather good with all the 'classic elements'. Even the return of the big battle seems to be in this. I'm not sure but I think many people, except those who dislike Craig, are feeling quietly positive.
    Getafix wrote:
    t's obviously hard to convince the Brosnan fans, but sadly, there was something simply qualitively inferior about his performance and his films. He was horrifically bad in the role and his films stank. Craig, even in QoS, at no point even approaches the depths of awfulness achieved by the Broz

I see the Craig fans are always trying to force their opinions down the throat of people that don't agree with them.... IT IS NOT A FACT that Brosnan was 'horrifically bad' or that he films were 'qualitively inferior'... Stop thinking that you have to tell people what they must think..... I wish some people wouldn't be so egocentrical about their opinions.... you don't like a certain Bond ? fine, but don't go around yelling at everyone else that they must follow your opinion and hate that Bond too....

Err... again. Missing the point. I'm not actually much of a Craig fan to be honest - I see him as slightly dull and charmless. My point is that Brosnan was so bad, that Craig cannot help but be seem better by comparison. And frankly, what are these forums for if not to express the odd strong opinion? Really, people need to develop slightly thicker skins. It's not very Bondian to go around complaining just because someone lays into Brozza. Think Pierce would be grown up enough to take it on the chin, and so should his fans.

And frankly, if you want to lay into Craig, go ahead. You won't hear any complaints from me.
    The thing that really urks me is the venom Brozza gets NOW. At the time he wasn't seen as "horrifically bad" by most people. Im not saying he's as good as Craig but it's laughable that he's gone from being a popular Bond and a reasonable actor to the devil reincarnated. I showed my mum, an intelligent woman, the so-called pain face montage and her reaction was "whats he meant to do?"
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Don't be so sure.

Of course I'm not certain, but this new film is looking rather good with all the 'classic elements'. Even the return of the big battle seems to be in this. I'm not sure but I think many people, except those who dislike Craig, are feeling quietly positive.

The problem will be the total over-exaggeration when Skyfall we be released... I am not looking forwards to the thousands of posts saying 'SF is the best Bond film ever !!!' which will get boring real soon..... I wish people would wait for the 'new factor' to pass before ranking Skyfall...... this 'this is the best film ever !!!' trend everytime a new Bond film gets released is becoming more and more predictable and boring.... just like the new Bond girl actress saying 'I am not playing a normal Bond girl'.... with time it's gotten risible and laughable... this site will be messy for a while with all the excitement over the new film... there will be a clear picture on Skyfall about a year after the release day...
    Getafix wrote:
    Really, people need to develop slightly thicker skins. It's not very Bondian to go around complaining just because someone lays into Brozza. Think Pierce would be grown up enough to take it on the chin, and so should his fans.

And frankly, if you want to lay into Craig, go ahead. You won't hear any complaints from me.

The problem is not so much the Brosnan bashing than people making their opinion pass as fact... I am tired of people talking/writing about Brosnan as if it was a fact that he sucked and he was a failure.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Don't be so sure.

The problem will be the total over-exaggeration when Skyfall we be released... I am not looking forwards to the thousands of posts saying 'SF is the best Bond film ever !!!' which will get boring real soon..... I wish people would wait for the 'new factor' to pass before ranking Skyfall......

That annoys me too, always has. It's just best to take it in your stride and view the film on your own terms when watching it for the first time. Of course, read other's opinions, that may give you an idea if Skyfall has what your looking for but keep on open mind and everything in check. I'm sure when the time comes, the mods won't stand for numerous duplicate threads. That's often more annoying than the actual content itself.
  • On the Skyfall expectations, You would think they will have put together something deserving of the half century celebrations

They maybe tried something similar for the 40th event but sadly failed in so many ways, even the 25th Silver anniversary with Daltons Daylights was an overriding success for many people. Maybe I won't be around to see it but I'd ideally be interested to see what they will bring out for the Century '100 years of Bond' film release in 2062. They could be talking here in like 60 years time and people will be saying 'Do you remember Bond 49 etc, it was the 100th anniversary, I had big expectations but it was abysmal', i.e. I wish I could of been around for the reviews, good or bad
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Don't be so sure.

The problem will be the total over-exaggeration when Skyfall we be released... I am not looking forwards to the thousands of posts saying 'SF is the best Bond film ever !!!' which will get boring real soon..... I wish people would wait for the 'new factor' to pass before ranking Skyfall......

That annoys me to, always has. It's just best to take it in your stride and view the film on your own terms. Of course, read other's opinions, that may give you an idea if Skyfall has what your looking for but keep on open mind. I'm sure when the time comes, the mods won't stand for numerous duplicate threads. That's often more annoying than the actual content itself.

The truth is the final judgement won't be made on Brozza and Craig for a couple of decades. During his tenure plenty of people loathed Rog, but today we have perspective and we can appreciate what he was trying to do with the role, especially following in young Sean's footsteps. The early judgements on Pierce are not positive, but may be over time people like me will mellow and come to look back fondly on the pain face, invisible car and generally weak storylines. Obviously, this is as about as likely as Brozza winning an Oscar, but you never know...
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I don't know whether Rog was trying to "do" anything with the role per-se. That phrasing applies more to Dalton who, other than Craig, was the only person to treat Bond like an acting role. Rog just put his own, fun personality into Bond.
    Samuel001 wrote:

They did, right up until he left the role. Here's an old Radio Times review for GE:

"When M says to James Bond "I think you're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur, a relic of the Cold War" who can disagree? To ram home the point M is played by a woman (Judi Dench) and a key scene is set in a Russian park that is now a dumping ground for statues of redundant communist heroes. However Pierce Brosnan, on his first mission as 007, quickly establishes himself as the best Bond since Sean Connery and makes a fetish out of the old fashioned values of loyalty and patriotism. There are also splendid Bond girls, including Izabella Scorupco and feisty Famke Janssen, who kills by crushing her victims between her thighs."

I even remember a critic saying the same thing after DAD - despite the fact he disliked the film itself.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 3,333
    I don't want to get into a Brozzy vs Craig slanging match but not everyone thought Brosnan was the best since Connery as this excerpt from The New York Times demonstrates...

"Goldeneye" unveils Pierce Brosnan as the coffee-bar James Bond: mild, fashionable and nice in a very 90's way. Mr. Brosnan, as the best-moussed Bond ever to play baccarat in Monte Carlo, makes the character's latest personality transplant viable (not to mention smashingly photogenic), but the series still suffers the blahs.

And so many other action films have borrowed from the Bond formula in the 33 (yes!) years since "Dr. No" that this one has a hard time looking special. A plane, a motorcycle, a huge dam, a bungee jumper and nerve gas all feature in the opening sequence, yet it still lacks the novelty that starts the best Bond films off with a bang. And Mr. Brosnan, who makes a fabulous clothing model and has mastered the one dramatic mode this role requires of him (wry), is not at his most believable during action scenes. When Bond rides in a tank through St. Petersburg during a scenery-crunching chase scene, Michael Dukakis comes to mind."

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9405E2DC1239F934A25752C1A963958260

On reflection, I think the Brosnan years were just heavily-sponsored generic action movies that could have been any old summer blockbuster, apart from the tux and smirky innuendoes. Not everyone has to like Brosnan, just as not everyone has to like Craig. But I don't see any reason why MI6 feedbackers are required to treat Brosnan with such undeserved reverence when he really didn't add that much to the canon, other than huge profits. Besides, from what I've read on these forums over the years, it's Roger Moore that gets the most bashing of any Bond, and not Brosnan.

But it really doesn't matter what people say as 007 has always remained critic-proof.
  • I seem to be one of the few that actually enjoys every actors take on Bond. Brosnan gets more bash than he deserves. I love GE, and TND and TWINE are great too imo.