What if Goldeneye was composed by John Barry?

edited January 2012 in Music Posts: 581
i was thinking what if Licence to Kill, Goldeneye, Tommorow Never Dies and TWINE were composed by John Barry
what would it be like?

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Every other movie composed by John Barry.
  • I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube clips that will give you an idea.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Moved to Music section. Can you please be more mindful of our category system when creating a new thread, @002?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Well, he did not compose them. He was offered TND, but declined and suggested Mika and Babs David Arnold... I am not so fond of GE's score, but it actually is very different and special...
    I remember talking with someone from EON whilst GE was is post production (August 1995) and he asked me what I wanted to know about the film. My first question was who's doing the score. He told me that the producers "wanted" John Barry but he was asking too much... $1 million I was told. He then informed me that Eric Serra was taking over because he was cheaper. Now I understand since then JB claimed that he turned the chance down despite being offered the job first. I think I'll trust the information from Mr Eon as he answered all my questions correctly long before the film was completed and released. Personally, I'd have much prefered it if JB had scored GE... but we can't have everything. Fingers crossed that Newman doesn't screw up his chance like Serra did with that dreadful score.
    The Serra score is too tinny for my ears. It sounds like someone is beating a steel drum.

But I am not going the route of another Brozz bash. So I will say I like the TT title song.

So, yes, it would have been better with Sir John Barry Prenderghast.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    Well, he did not compose them. He was offered TND, but declined and suggested Mika and Babs David Arnold... I am not so fond of GE's score, but it actually is very different and special...
    It would have been nice to see Barry compose TND and possibly TWINE. I'm not a big fan of David Arnold. As for GoldenEye, I didn't mind the score that much. It's not the best in the series, but it's also not the worst. My favorite section of the GE score: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KMcUgh9GrOQ#t=156s

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Thank you GEMA. When I try Dr. Metz's link, the reply I get, is:
    "Dieses Video ist in Deutschland leider nicht verfügbar, da es möglicherweise Musik enthält, für die die erforderlichen Musikrechte von der GEMA nicht eingeräumt wurden."
    Thank you GEMA. When I try Dr. Metz's link, the reply I get, is:
    "Dieses Video ist in Deutschland leider nicht verfügbar, da es möglicherweise Musik enthält, für die die erforderlichen Musikrechte von der GEMA nicht eingeräumt wurden."
    Sorry about that. Does this work? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IUDg3ReLhvI#t=156s

If GE was composed by John Barry? Make Sean Bean Bond and it'd be the perfect Bond film!
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Make Sean Bean Bond and it'd be the perfect Bond film!
    Why do you think Sean Bean would have been a better Bond than Brosnan in GoldenEye?
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Make Sean Bean Bond and it'd be the perfect Bond film!
    Why do you think Sean Bean would have been a better Bond than Brosnan in GoldenEye?

He's the better actor, AND he's the perfect actor between Dalton and Craig. A good transition with looks, acting ability, and seriousness of the role.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    He's the better actor, AND he's the perfect actor between Dalton and Craig.
    So why not just have Dalton in GE? He's a better Bond than Brosnan and would be a better Bond than Bean.

• edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I know Im one of the few but I've never had an issue with the Serra score. As cooky as it sometimes is I think it gives the film it's own flavour.

Good example is when bond is lying on the ground in the jungle. There's a close-up of his eyes which gradually dissolves into a shot of the helicopter above him. The score over the top suits the scene perfectly.
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    He's the better actor, AND he's the perfect actor between Dalton and Craig.
    So why not just have Dalton in GE? He's a better Bond than Brosnan and would be a better Bond than Bean.

Because, while I like Dalton, 6 years is a long break, and he just wasn't working as Bond. Eon had made the decision to change, and Bean is a far better choice than Brosnan.

Who would play Trevelyan then?
    BAIN123 wrote:

Karl Urban? Played a decent Russian in Bourne Supremacy..

The thing about the GE score is that even though I don't like it that much, I can't imagine GE without it...
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    God only knows what would have been of these films if John Barry had worked on them.

Would they had been better? Perhaps. If there's something he had is that he had a true knack for creating evocative music and also he could be (and was til his last Bond score) quite innovative in his instrumentations and arrangements.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

A 23 years old as Trevelyan ? [-X
    bondsum wrote:
    I remember talking with someone from EON whilst GE was is post production (August 1995) and he asked me what I wanted to know about the film. My first question was who's doing the score. He told me that the producers "wanted" John Barry but he was asking too much... $1 million I was told. He then informed me that Eric Serra was taking over because he was cheaper. Now I understand since then JB claimed that he turned the chance down despite being offered the job first. I think I'll trust the information from Mr Eon as he answered all my questions correctly long before the film was completed and released. Personally, I'd have much prefered it if JB had scored GE... but we can't have everything. Fingers crossed that Newman doesn't screw up his chance like Serra did with that dreadful score.

Far as I'm aware John Barry Turned down GE because he had enough of Bond, and was also told he would not be involved in the song!! Something John was never keen on...!!
    Eon had no probs with his fee, and really wanted John to score the film!!
    B.Broccoil has always regretted John not scoring Bond one last time, to have a proper send off!?

Bondsum.. Who was that "Someone" from Eon...!?
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

A 23 years old as Trevelyan ? [-X

Movie magic? You've never heard of a young actor taking on an older role? He looks rather old with facial hair. Don't waddle your finger at me :P
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,690
    This is what Karl Urban looked like in 1995.......

<url>
    bondbat007 wrote:
    The thing about the GE score is that even though I don't like it that much, I can't imagine GE without it...

There we go. It gives the film a uniqueness.
    @Dalton

Any suggestions, or will you continue to sit back and critique everyone else.
    Back on topic line
    If Goldeneye was scored by Barry, we'd have the same film with a better score.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 3,333
    MrEon wrote:
    bondsum wrote:

Far as I'm aware John Barry Turned down GE because he had enough of Bond, and was also told he would not be involved in the song!! Something John was never keen on...!!
    Eon had no probs with his fee, and really wanted John to score the film!!
    B.Broccoil has always regretted John not scoring Bond one last time, to have a proper send off!?

Bondsum.. Who was that "Someone" from Eon...!?

Sorry, Mr Eon, but I wasn't referring to your good self when I accidentally name-checked you. I'm afraid I can't remember his name but he knew everything about the film long before it came out and was working alongside Martin Campbell on the editing, youngish guy. I found out an awful lot about the movie including the entire PTS and how the entire movie was shot. With the info I had I'd of been very popular on these forums... if it had existed back then. Funnily enough I did get to see the first preview of GE at the Empire Leicester Square Cinema back in 95. I still have the ticket and press kit buried away with my CR and QoS ones somewhere!!

In fact, I now recall that John Barry didn't like the notion that he couldn't write the title song anymore and it had already been written by Bono and the Edge, hence his high salary demands. I'm sure John Barry, being the curmudgeon that he was, wanted to give the impression he turned them down. Either way, we're stuck with the awful Eric Serra score.
    Nah, it woudn't have been as good. I like some of Barry's scores, but Eric Serra did a fantastic job on the GoldenEye score. I wouldn't want that any other way.
    Serra was imho the last composer that gave his 007 a musical identity. It is perhaps not an always great score but it is something original.
    Something I cannot say about the last 5 soundtracks.
  • GE was not the film I liked. I did not watch it. I was busy then, but JB score would have made me to visit the nearest movie theatre.
  • John Barry turned down GoldenEye because he had just spent a long time on a couple of other films and wanted to spend some time with his new young son. He was also on holiday in Africa at the time. It was not a question of his fee being too high nor had the theme song already been written by members of U2.

However, not long afterwards, JB changed his agent. When he was approached to score Tomorrow Never Dies, the agent told the producers that it was time he received an appropriate fee, believing he had previously accepted a much lower fee than he could have normally commanded, "because he was one of the Bond family".

JB was also told that he would not be writing the theme song, something that probably upset him even more than the question of the fee. Neither issue could be resolved and JB had written his last Bond score and David Arnold was on the scene.