Is any one a fan of classic era spy cinema?

2»

Comments

• Villiers53 wrote:
    matt_Helm you are 100% correct regarding. TSWCIFTC is a brilliant movie and like all true classics it stands the test of time well. I think that Burton is brilliant as Leamus.
    As fare as Deighton is concerned, I think that Ipcress is good but it is the only one.
    I'd love somebody to have another go with the Samson saga. I did hear strangely enough that Tarantino was interested in doing it. That said, although he's talented, I don't think he's the man for that job.
    So do i. Deightons sublime and Understated style is just about the opposite of Tarentinos Way to handle his scripts. To tell the truth i wouldn't want him near any writer i appreciate,even though Reservoir dogs and Pulp Fiction especially are quite brillant ,to me he lost it completly afterwards.
    Rumor has it,that he owns the rights of the Modesty Blaise Books and even though the Lord knows that i pray almost everday they get made into Movies resembling the novels, i just as well hope it is not him,who writes the Script and directes it.
  • @ jarrod when you mention "Hell Drivers" you certainly get me reminiscing.
    I always found James Mitchell's double life (Mitchell = Callan, Munro = Craig) very interesting. Both were good but I sometimes think that by splitting his efforts he never fully capitalised on either character. Having said that, Callan was written mostly for the screen (I recently watched the whole Callan saga on DVD and enjoyed it enormously) whilst "Innocent Bystanders" was the only Craig movie and as you say, Stanley did a great job.
    I've never seen the series, I've only ever seen the film "Callan" with Edward Woodward, directed by Don Sharp (who also directed the spy film "Bang! Bang! You're Dead!" with "Odd Couple" Tony Randall). Despite the strange casting of Tony Randall, "Bang! Bang! You're Dead!" is actually pretty good. Don Sharp also directed some episodes of The Avengers as well as the underrated The Champions. James Mitchell also wrote some Avenger episodes as well as "The Last Grenade" which also starred Stanley Baker, Honor Blackman and Julian Glover. One of the reasons I'm such a fan of eurospy films and ITC shows, is because so many of my favorite Bond actors appeared regularly in these films and TV shows, expanding the Bondian universe for those of us, who've seen the Bond films a thousand times. Daniela Bianchi, Luciana Paluzzi, and Karin Dor nearly made careers out of this genre!
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 90
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70147122?strkid=1829972243_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=70147122

here is a link to Danger Route it seems to still be streaming

Sorry didn't see you were in UK
  • Villiers53 wrote:
    Although not strictly from the '60s (it was released in 1972 ) "Innocent Bystanders" starring the late, great Stanley Baker is well worth a watch.
    Like many in the genre, it's from a book. This time by the Geordie writer, James Mitchell who writing as James Munro, created a spy called John Craig. The books were good particularly the first in the series, "The Man Who Sold Death".
    Mitchell also created the fabulous "Callan" and managed the two series in tandem.
    Craig was closer to Bond whilst Callan was more routed in the very realistic world of Deighton/Le Carre.

Glad to hear this is good I just ordered it off Amazon
    Don't forget Boysie Oakes in The Liquidator, John Gardner's reluctant killer played by one of the few actors to come close to Connery in his prime. For a gonzo treat check out MGM's 1966 Kiss the Girls and Make Them Die featuring Dorothy Provine as sort of Lady Penelope by the name of Susan Fleming! Harry Palmer's last 2 outings were really TV movies written by...wait for it Harry Allan Towers!! Check out his career with a search on Carfax Abbey blog, you'll find some very funny quotes.
    Rod Taylor is a pretty cool actor. The High Commissioner from 1968 is another great spy film with Taylor, Christopher Plummer and Camilla Sparv. Kiss The Girls and Make Them Die is a real great one, I love that film!
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Villiers53 wrote:
    matt_Helm you are 100% correct regarding. TSWCIFTC is a brilliant movie and like all true classics it stands the test of time well. I think that Burton is brilliant as Leamus.
    As fare as Deighton is concerned, I think that Ipcress is good but it is the only one.
    I'd love somebody to have another go with the Samson saga. I did hear strangely enough that Tarantino was interested in doing it. That said, although he's talented, I don't think he's the man for that job.
    So do i. Deightons sublime and Understated style is just about the opposite of Tarentinos Way to handle his scripts. To tell the truth i wouldn't want him near any writer i appreciate,even though Reservoir dogs and Pulp Fiction especially are quite brillant ,to me he lost it completly afterwards.
    Rumor has it,that he owns the rights of the Modesty Blaise Books and even though the Lord knows that i pray almost everday they get made into Movies resembling the novels, i just as well hope it is not him,who writes the Script and directes it.

@Matt_Helm couldn't agree with you more and we pray at the same alter that somebody will do faithful adaptations of the fabulous Blaise books. I can't believe that they've never picked up on what has the potential to be the biggest franchise of all time!

Jarrod wrote:
    I've never seen the series, I've only ever seen the film "Callan" with Edward Woodward, directed by Don Sharp (who also directed the spy film "Bang! Bang! You're Dead!" with "Odd Couple" Tony Randall). Despite the strange casting of Tony Randall, "Bang! Bang! You're Dead!" is actually pretty good. Don Sharp also directed some episodes of The Avengers as well as the underrated The Champions. James Mitchell also wrote some Avenger episodes as well as "The Last Grenade" which also starred Stanley Baker, Honor Blackman and Julian Glover. One of the reasons I'm such a fan of eurospy films and ITC shows, is because so many of my favorite Bond actors appeared regularly in these films and TV shows, expanding the Bondian universe for those of us, who've seen the Bond films a thousand times. Daniela Bianchi, Luciana Paluzzi, and Karin Dor nearly made careers out of this genre!

@jarrod, I always thought I was a bit of an expert on this stuff but you sir are brilliant - great stuff keep those pearlers coming!