"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    001 wrote:
    DCisared wrote:
    Reina is a liability , Sturridge is an absolute baller . Hendo and downing much much improved and we now look a team , time to get braver once we have the lead , encouraging signs.

I have been saying reina is the worst keeper in the epl for a long time and once again he has shown why. He cost us the game.

I don't think he will be playing next week.

We need a world class goalie to be come a world class team.

Trouble is we havent got the transfer kitty to 'waste' on a keeper. We need to spend it on strengthening elsewhere. Although when your keepers making decisions like yesterday hes a liability so I guess it makes sense.

How much would that Vorm at Swansea cost? 10m? Can a club in our position justify spending that on a keeper? Maybe offer Downing plus cash to someone? That Julio Cesar will want out when QPR go down but I expect hes on massive wages.

Good to see big Andy looking decent for West Ham. If he can get say half a dozen goals between now and the end of the season we ought to able to force them near the 20m mark. Plus some idiot will pay at least 5m for Downing. That would be 25m to spend straight away before the board even have to put their hand in their pockets.

Does anyone think that Benteke or Weimann are worth a punt when Villa go seeing as we cant attract world class talent?
    001 wrote:
    DCisared wrote:
    Reina is a liability , Sturridge is an absolute baller . Hendo and downing much much improved and we now look a team , time to get braver once we have the lead , encouraging signs.

I have been saying reina is the worst keeper in the epl for a long time and once again he has shown why. He cost us the game.

Trouble is we havent got the transfer kitty to 'waste' on a keeper. We need to spend it on strengthening elsewhere. Although when your keepers making decisions like yesterday hes a liability so I guess it makes sense.

How much would that Vorm at Swansea cost? 10m? Can a club in our position justify spending that on a keeper? Maybe offer Downing plus cash to someone? That Julio Cesar will want out when QPR go down but I expect hes on massive wages.

Good to see big Andy looking decent for West Ham. If he can get say half a dozen goals between now and the end of the season we ought to able to force them near the 20m mark. Plus some idiot will pay at least 5m for Downing. That would be 25m to spend straight away before the board even have to put their hand in their pockets.

Does anyone think that Benteke or Weimann are worth a punt when Villa go seeing as we cant attract world class talent?

I would want more for vorm than 10 mill and you can keep Downing, would consider Sturridge and Allen

:-\"
  • I would be very surprised if City caught United now, Don't think City have enough. Credit to Liverpool for showing up today, i say that begrudgi
    ngly. Think Chelsea have lost the plot letting Sturridge go amongst other issues. :-P

It's not over till its over. Last season was proof of that. City have it all to do though. They are not performing as they were last year and Man Utd with RVP and Rooney playing well and now scoring regularly means its Utd's to lose.
    largo2 wrote:
    001 wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

I would want more for vorm than 10 mill and you can keep Downing, would consider Sturridge and Allen

:-\"

I'd do you a straight swap - Allen for Vorm? Just don't see what he's got in his locker. I can just pass the ball 2 yards all day long. When does he score, when he does he split a defence open, when does he put in a crunching tackle? Just a poor mans Michael Carrick.
    I would be very surprised if City caught United now, Don't think City have enough. Credit to Liverpool for showing up today, i say that begrudgi
    ngly. Think Chelsea have lost the plot letting Sturridge go amongst other issues. :-P

It's not over till its over. Last season was proof of that. City have it all to do though. They are not performing as they were last year and Man Utd with RVP and Rooney playing well and now scoring regularly means its Utd's to lose.

Exactly right about it not being over. Man u are not playing that well at the moment.
    If Rooney or rvp gets injured then things could change quickly.

edited February 2013 Posts: 1,575
    001 wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

There are plenty of better keepers in other countries or in lower english leagues who won't cost that much money.
    It's up to the scouts to find them.

Anyway Liverpool aren't short of a dollar when it comes to buying players.

Brad jones should be given a go even though he made a mistake in the f.a cup game.
    He's better than reina surely.

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has admitted the Anfield outfit 'can't compete' in the Premier League title race with Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea.

Well pepe maybe you should save more shots and stop making stupid mistakes.
  • I would be very surprised if City caught United now, Don't think City have enough. Credit to Liverpool for showing up today, i say that begrudgi

True its never over till mathematically over, as well as Rvp and Rooney, little peas form is as it was two years ago, Cleverly and Anderson have stepped it up (both had bad injuries, that kept them out most of last season) I very rarely get ahead of myself, though united have improved and City have gone backwards. Last season we lost on goal difference and united played poor, City were hailed as a great team in some quarters.

Think united still have alot to come and have a good chance of breaking the record points tally for a premiership season. All this and our wingers have been average. :-)
  • 001 wrote:
    I would be very surprised if City caught United now, Don't think City have enough. Credit to Liverpool for showing up today, i say that begrudgi

Exactly right about it not being over. Man u are not playing that well at the moment.

True united have had to dig deep last couple of games though still got the win and showed more steel and organisation defensively. No team will ever play to there best every game, its the games when you are poor and still grind out a result that are important and win you titles.
    001 wrote:

True united have had to dig deep last couple of games though still got the win and showed more steel and organisation defensively. No team will ever play to there best every game, its the games when you are poor and still grind out a result that are important and win you titles.

You're right, all that matters is getting the 3 points.

GOOD LUCK TO MT BOYS TODAY =D>
  • Predictions for the League cup final anyone? It's obvious who the favourites are however as long as neither team get starstruck with the occasion, I think It's going to be a close one with possible pens.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    No predictions , but I hope the swans win as I have a soft spot for Michael laudrup, what a player he was! And what a guy!
    DCisared wrote:
    No predictions , but I hope the swans win as I have a soft spot for Michael laudrup, what a player he was! And what a guy!

And he's also looking like a pretty capable manager as well JW Henry. Why was Laudrup never even mentioned when we were looking? Instead we have to suffer this idiot with his 'under no circumstances can a defender put the ball in row Z even if 4 players are closing him down and there's no one to pass to' philosophy which is directly responsible for the away goal that put us out on Thursday.
    Well we all know who I would like to win, but looking at previous rounds Bradford will be no push over
    Ah, there's a football thread on here? Nice. I just started following EPL and the Champions League last season, but don't have many people to talk about it with aside from a guy I work with who is from England.

It's hard for me to catch games on TV but since the PL just signed a deal with NBC Sports Net for next season I'll finally get to watch the league on a regular basis. The only other games on are once a week on ESPN2 and I miss it because of work and a game of the week on NESN (local) and it's mostly Liverpool due to John Henry owning both the team and channel.

I just began appreciating football because I'm a huge hockey fan and the similarities in play (mainly international puck) pulled me in. I followed my local MLS team, New England Revolution (They're garbage, I know :P ), for a few years now and would like to see more Tottenham matches because I watch Dempsey when he was on the Revs. Only got to see one match of theirs this season, they don't seem to be very popular with the networks in the US for some reason :-/
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 27
    Predictions for the League cup final anyone? It's obvious who the favourites are however as long as neither team get starstruck with the occasion, I think It's going to be a close one with possible pens.

It will be nice to watch this as a neutral. I always love the idea of the underdog winning, and imagine a League Two (Division FOUR!!) team winning it? That would be immense for them, particularly financially. Yeah, the winner only gets £100,000 but Bradford's team wages are only around £1 million total, so that's enough for some decent players. As well, a win would get them into Europa, where there's a chance for more money. And considering their fortunes after the tragedy of the Valley Parade fire in '85, it would be a bright spot in their history to win.

That being said :) I really like Laudrup and I like what he's doing with Swansea. Most importantly, if I understand the standings correctly, if it comes down to Swansea being above Liverpool in the Premier League table at the end of the season and we're close to Europa League qualification, a Swansea Cup win opens up one more spot for the EL. And can you imagine a Welsh team representing England in the EL next year? :) As great as it would be for Bradford City, I think they'd be in and out of the competition quick as you like. Swansea may have a round or two in them, and that would be interesting.
    ultrabox wrote:
    It's hard for me to catch games on TV but since the PL just signed a deal with NBC Sports Net for next season I'll finally get to watch the league on a regular basis. The only other games on are once a week on ESPN2 and I miss it because of work and a game of the week on NESN (local) and it's mostly Liverpool due to John Henry owning both the team and channel.

I just began appreciating football because I'm a huge hockey fan and the similarities in play (mainly international puck) pulled me in. I followed my local MLS team, New England Revolution (They're garbage, I know :P ), for a few years now and would like to see more Tottenham matches because I watch Dempsey when he was on the Revs. Only got to see one match of theirs this season, they don't seem to be very popular with the networks in the US for some reason :-/

I'm fortunate to get Sportsnetworld (the old Setanta) up here in Canada, so I get to watch a lot of footie! Rogers Sportsnet also carries at least 2 games a weekend, and either of those channels will carry FA, Europa and CL games. I'm currently watching the Bundesliga on GolTV. (What? It's Sunday and I have nothing to do! :)) Not sure if you have satellite or not, but beIN Sport has launched two channels in the US and they hold the rights to all the major tournaments.

New England was once managed by Liverpool great, Steve Nichols, so they're alright in my eyes. :)

Tottenham won't get much US coverage simply because they're not challenging for anything (yet) and they haven't won anything. So unfortunately, it doesn't give US commentators much to talk about or to draw US viewers in. See how much they talk about Clint Dempsey when Tottenham does get shown. I often think US commentators don't realize the people watching soccer on US channels actually do know about soccer; they have a tendency to talk down to the viewer, which is why we get so much focus on what they think the viewer will want to know. ie. Clint Dempsey is American, don't you know!

This is why the games you will see most involve teams even the most casual viewer will recognize- Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool (despite their lack of top four form in the last handful of years). Of course, name recognition means more network money, but it's also to draw in people who don't really follow a team and just want to watch the names they recognize.

If you want to find an English team to support, do some reading into the history of the club and see what team best represents you as a fan. It's easy to jump on the United bandwagon since they're winners (though to be fair, they also have a long history), but they might not be the team for you. I support Liverpool. They have a great history and hey, if you start supporting them now, you can say you were a fan when they were a mid-table team!

• Well Swansea have won 5-0 and completely outplayed Bradford from start to finish. Shame it was so one sided as Bradford got to the final on merit but the occasion got to them and Swansea's class showed through. Well done to Swansea especially in your centenary year, your first major trophy.

Also congratulations on Bradford for an amazing cup run which will live long in the memory.
    @coolbyrne I appreciate the information. I used to get Fox Soccer Net and was able to see much more games, but unfortunately I can't swing the price for the package at the moment. Last season I identified with Liverpool due to John Henry showing the games on NESN and owning the Red Sox. But he's not very liked in Boston at the moment, so there is a 'feeding the machine' aspect to watching his product. When I typed that out I think that's a stupid reason for not liking a team but it's more of a deal I guess when you're just getting into something.

Honestly, I do still get to watch Liverpool, but I've been watching more the league as a whole than last year where I only watched Liverpool. I suppose I'll need to pony up and make an actual decision on who to root for, everything is used so new to me. I've seen a bunch of teams that I like. I'm sure I'll settle on a club in due time.
    [img][/img]pleasedtomichu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well done boys - so happy good solid performance - now for 4 th place in the league
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    All the palava over the penalty made me laugh. Well played Swansea. I'd hate to be a Bradford fan right now.

On a sadder note it's 20 years today since Bobby Moore passed. Like I said in the other thread, RIP- a true legend.
  • largo2 wrote:
    [img][/img]pleasedtomichu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well done boys - so happy good solid performance - now for 4 th place in the league

What an absolute steal in the transfer market, largo2! Well done.

Ultrabox, totally understand about choosing teams. :) Sometimes, it comes down to simple chance; you see a game or a player at the right moment and you think, "That's the team I want to follow".

That's what I'm hoping. I'm new to the choosing route. All my teams have been influenced by location/family history, choosing a team seems unnatural and odd. I feel like I need a good reason to justify my choice.
  • Bradford City - and indeed, Swansea, when you look at their meteoric rise over the last decade - give great hope to dreamers like me who support little clubs. Bradford are a division higher than my team, and Swansea used to be relatively local rivals, so they both provide a very clear illustration of what is possible, if not terribly probable. We all have to dream come 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, whether our side are swaggering European giants, or lower league hobbledehoy.
    Congratulations to Swansea City and Largo! You must be out of your mind with joy?!!! 8-} <:-P :D

Over the moon with bagging another 3 vital point against Everton! Good job really as we have got Man Utd next! X_X
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    DCisared wrote:

And he's also looking like a pretty capable manager as well JW Henry. Why was Laudrup never even mentioned when we were looking? Instead we have to suffer this idiot with his 'under no circumstances can a defender put the ball in row Z even if 4 players are closing him down and there's no one to pass to' philosophy which is directly responsible for the away goal that put us out on Thursday.

I think that's what's found skrtel out tbh , both him and carragher have primal instincts to hoof the ball when there is any sniff of danger, and agger has struggled as well at times. Not to mention reinas awful kicking .
    I expect a couple of new centre backs in the summer , maybe a new keeper and with the circus that will be created around Suarez maybe we will have a war chest to spend on attacking wingers and strikers! Lets hope if we do sell Suarez for millions we spend it wisely!!
    DCisared wrote:
    I expect a couple of new centre backs in the summer , maybe a new keeper and with the circus that will be created around Suarez maybe we will have a war chest to spend on attacking wingers and strikers! Lets hope if we do sell Suarez for millions we spend it wisely!!

Yeah trust Brendan to spend it wisely because he really knows how to unearth a gem! Two words for you - Fabio 'makes Jason Lee look like a world class striker' Borini. Him being out for the rest of the season is pretty close to the high point of the last 6 months for me. Now if Downing can just do his cruciate...

Suarez is all that elevates us above the ordinary. Once he goes, even if we get 50 mil for him, we have zero chance of getting anyone even half as good as him in because why would they come to us?

Stevie on his last legs and if Suarez goes then we are the new Villa because those two apart the rest of our squad is barely even mediocre.
    DCisared wrote:

Yeah trust Brendan to spend it wisely because he really knows how to unearth a gem! Two words for you - Fabio 'makes Jason Lee look like a world class striker' Borini. Him being out for the rest of the season is pretty close to the high point of the last 6 months for me. Now if Downing can just do his cruciate...

Suarez is all that elevates us above the ordinary. Once he goes, even if we get 50 mil for him, we have zero chance of getting anyone even half as good as him in because why would they come to us?

Stevie on his last legs and if Suarez goes then we are the new Villa because those two apart the rest of our squad is barely even mediocre.

Sturridge is an ace and more than half as good as suarez.Is he mediocre is he.....
    Stevie can play for another 5 years at least like scholes.
    Johnson,sterling,coutinho,Enrique ,Wisdom ,Flanagan ,Kelly you don't rate?

001 wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

Sturridge is an ace and more than half as good as suarez.Is he mediocre is he.....

Sturridge looks reasonable business but is he world class? At best he's as good as Welbeck. Utd have 3 world class strikers ahead of Danny. We have Suarez and Sturridge and that's it.

Johnson I quite like - in fact I would prefer to see him play right wing with Kelly behind him as he has way more in his locker than Downs syndrome.

Sterling, Coutinho, Wisdom and Flanagan probably haven't played 50 games for the club between them so its a bit early to start getting excited about how good they may or may not be.

Stevie will keep on going but carrying a club for a decade has worn him out and he's not the player he was.

When you're getting starry eyed at the talent we have at our disposal just ask yourself who City, the scum or Chelsea would be interested in taking?

Answer - Suarez. Sterling at a pinch (although I'm not sure he's as good as everyone reckons. Same as the Ox last season - just because he's English and has a senblance of talent people start raving like hes Maradona).

And that's your lot.

Borini, Downing - you couldn't pay someone to take them off your hands.
    001 wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

Sturridge looks reasonable business but is he world class? At best he's as good as Welbeck. Utd have 3 world class strikers ahead of Danny. We have Suarez and Sturridge and that's it.

Johnson I quite like - in fact I would prefer to see him play right wing with Kelly behind him as he has way more in his locker than Downs syndrome.

Sterling, Coutinho, Wisdom and Flanagan probably haven't played 50 games for the club between them so its a bit early to start getting excited about how good they may or may not be.

Stevie will keep on going but carrying a club for a decade has worn him out and he's not the player he was.

When you're getting starry eyed at the talent we have at our disposal just ask yourself who City, the scum or Chelsea would be interested in taking?

Answer - Suarez. Sterling at a pinch (although I'm not sure he's as good as everyone reckons. Same as the Ox last season - just because he's English and has a senblance of talent people start raving like hes Maradona).

And that's your lot.

Borini, Downing - you couldn't pay someone to take them off your hands.

At least we got rid of Carroll,he's hopeless. 35 million pound joke.
    The raging bull (Enrique) is top class.

Sturridge is a much better player than the overated wellbeck and is playing like a world class player.You can only be judged on your last few games not on reputation.

We need another good striker or 2,goalie, and a couple of defenders.

Don't know about henderson.Probably not good enough for liverpool.Sell.

Carroll is 10 times the player Borini is.

That 35m is gone now whatever so is it better to keep Big Andy or bin him off and bring in someone far worse for another 12 mil down the toilet?

At least Andy still has some resale value - you'd be lucky if anyone offered more than 1.5m for useless Fabio.