Indiana Jones IV vs. Die Another Day (Bad vs. Bad)

Comments

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Between choosing any of them... I choose Indy 4 as the worst. DAD is not good, but still being a Bond film.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Virage wrote:
    I'm Surprised no-ones picked up on Maranda/Amanda Frost yet

Is she related to Miranda Frost?
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Die Another Day, much better! The first hour of DAD is actually pretty good.
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    aw I enjoyed Indy 4 lol

DAD was alright.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    hoppimike wrote:
    aw I enjoyed Indy 4 lol

DAD was alright.

I'm afraid hoppimike I can never take your opinion seriously (not that I ever did) after such a comment, all this criticising Skyfall and you say this, oh dear me.

Your opinion on cinema is your opinion but it doesn't stop it from being a complete joke.
    Shardlake wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:
    aw I enjoyed Indy 4 lol

DAD was alright.

I'm afraid hoppimike I can never take your opinion seriously (not that I ever did) after such a comment, all this criticising Skyfall and you say this, oh dear me.

Your opinion on cinema is your opinion but it doesn't stop it from being a complete joke.

I just didn't find either of them particularly bad or good. They both had merits. I enjoyed Indy 4 more than DAD though.

Skyfall did more things that actively DISpleased me, that's why I didn't like it (and still don't, but I'm starting to try to consider it on its own merit now at least!).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Shardlake wrote:
    C'mon Shard, some people like frozen pizza better than foie gras...
    CR & SF are CERTAINLY better movies than Indy 4, but that won't stop some folks (like me, for instance) from flat out enjoying Indy more. But TLD? There Indy 4 loses badly IMO.
    :))
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 3,279
    mmmmm.......prefering one heap of manure against another is quite a tricky business. Why not throw in Batman & Robin too, then the dung pile will be complete.

One heaping big mass of stinking hot manure.
    Shardlake wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:
    aw I enjoyed Indy 4 lol

DAD was alright.

Agree 100%. Either he is a troll here to wind people up, or his opinion on cinema is, as you say, a complete joke.
    As much as some Bond entries are pretty terrible with DAD as the lowest of the low, I don't see the drop in quality trajectory from Raiders to Skull.

The thing also unlike Bond pretty much the same people that contributed to Raiders being a masterpiece of action adventure cinema also with some exceptions were responsible for the steaming pile of excrement that is KOTCS.

For me that will always make it worse, it's in the same as league as those dreaded prequels, Bond was already on a drop, Crusade is nowhere the disaster Skull is.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Crusade is nowhere the disaster Skull is.
    So, err.. why does CS score a 78/59 on Rotten Tomatoes?
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/indiana_jones_and_the_kingdom_of_the_crystal_skull/
    Surely if it was so completely worthless it would have a lower rating like a certain bat-turd
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1077027-batman_and_robin/
    (12/28) ?
  • Win win for me I like both films
    Win win for me I like both films

Great stuff! Perhaps you like Batman & Robin too?
  • not on your life
  • and I didn't like The Dark Knight Rises either
    not on your life
    Really? But they are all of equal quality. Surely if you can enjoy one turd, another should be just as good?

and I didn't like The Dark Knight Rises either

Why doesn't that surprise me.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 4,043
    chrisisall wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    Crusade is nowhere the disaster Skull is.
    So, err.. why does CS score a 78/59 on Rotten Tomatoes?
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/indiana_jones_and_the_kingdom_of_the_crystal_skull/
    Surely if it was so completely worthless it would have a lower rating like a certain bat-turd
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1077027-batman_and_robin/
    (12/28) ?

I'm not a slave to Rotten Tomatoes personally, Crusade is like watching a completely different franchise in comparison. That film got such an easy time of it and never was savaged by the critics, Empire gave it 4 stars for instance, some films just get under the radar it's only later people see them for what they really are so no that rating means nothing.

Look if you like watching under achieving pale shadows of what they used to be then be my guest, though you are a Brosnan fan so I guess you must. Sorry but I couldn't resist.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Look if you like watching under achieving pale shadows of what they used to be then be my guest, though you are a Brosnan fan so I guess you must. Sorry but I couldn't resist.
    I'm guessing here that you are well below 40 years of age. As you get older, you will see that entertainment is where you find it.
    If I held to never liking 'pale shadows', my Bond DVD collection would end at Thunderball, my Star wars collection at A New Hope, My Trek collection at season two, my Indy collection at Raiders, my Robocop collection at Robocop...
    :-?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    I'm guessing here that you are well below 40 years of age. As you get older, you will see that entertainment is where you find it.
    If I held to never liking 'pale shadows', my Bond DVD collection would end at Thunderball, my Star wars collection at A New Hope, My Trek collection at season two, my Indy collection at Raiders, my Robocop collection at Robocop...
    :-?

Wrongly surmised I am 40 years of age, Raiders is without doubt for me better than any Bond film, it's pretty much perfection and along with Jaws shows Spielberg's real genius unlike the more weighty pictures of his latter years. The 2 following sequels are very entertaining.

TOD isn't perfect but apart from all the voodoo it's just fine, Crusade is an improvement but never touches the original, Skull was just a travesty and to think the same director was involved with all 4 films, it doesn't even feel part of the same series let alone look like it. I hated the film from the one and only viewing at the cinema, I own it as part of the Blu ray boxset but I doubt I feel the need to soil my eyes with it again.

As I get older I find I have less patience for rubbish, you might want to watch films over and over again that remind you of your childhood, personally a good number of the Bond series are now quite embarrassing to watch, a number of these films I loved as a child but I've never been a big one for nostalgia, as for Robocop I love the original but buying the collection would be a waste of time as the sequels just get worse as they go on. My Blu ray collection is considerable and I would say barely any of it is pale imitation with the exception of some sequels that are part of sets.

I've recently had to started wearing glasses but they aren't rose tinted the last time I looked.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 290

Nah I'm not big on Dark Knight. Not huge on Batman in general though.

Love Inception and stuff much more!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    hoppimike wrote:

Nah I'm not big on Dark Knight. Not huge on Batman in general though.

That pretty much explains why.
  • Raiders being a better movie than most Bond films is pretty true. Not sure if I say it wa my # 1 but its a top 10 choice.

One thing I will say about Dark Knight is it is another film with a highly overrated villain. Bane is so clearly a henchman that the big surprise twist is no surprise what so ever
    I am not a fan of Nolan's Batman trilogy. The films look good but the stories are no great shakes IMO and I find Bale quite annoying. SF obviously owes a debt to these films, particularly with the visual darkness and trendy relentlessly downbeat and depressing vibe. It won't be too long before fun and decent stories are back in fashion though and these films will seem quite dated.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Wrongly surmised I am 40 years of age
    *wipes egg from face*
    Shardlake wrote:
    Raiders is without doubt for me better than any Bond film
    Hmmm, production-wise, yeah, it's off the charts. It's a period distillation of Bond that works perfectly. But in that it owes to Bond, I cannot say I like it better than any Bond movie my own self- I'd say it's the equal of TLD if pushed to it.
    Shardlake wrote:
    TOD isn't perfect but apart from all the voodoo it's just fine, Crusade is an improvement but never touches the original, Skull was just a travesty and to think the same director was involved with all 4 films, it doesn't even feel part of the same series let alone look like it.
    Crystal Skull is like Octopussy to me; nowhere near perfect, but totally entertaining front to back.
    Shardlake wrote:
    As I get older I find I have less patience for rubbish
    One man's trash is another man's treasure, as they say!
    \:D/
    Raiders is cinema gold but I have to admit to enjoying Crusade just as much - the presence of a certain Scotsman elevates it to pretty much classic status IMO. I find Doom utterly awful - and have never bothered to watch No.4. I just know it will suck. The rule for Indy films is that it has to have Nazis otherwise it will suck.
  • Raiders one of the best movies ever made in my opinion. Crusade 2nd, Temple of doom 3rd has its moments though overall a let down, Crystal Skull is just a device to bring Indy into the consciousness of another generation, no doubt with plans to make a film series with Mutt in it.
    Crystal Skull is just a device to bring Indy into the consciousness of another generation, no doubt with plans to make a film series with Mutt in it.
    No, that wasn't in the cards, but for ME, it's a good LAST story of how Indy & Marion end up together.
    *snif*
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Crystal Skull is just a device to bring Indy into the consciousness of another generation, no doubt with plans to make a film series with Mutt in it.
    No, that wasn't in the cards, but for ME, it's a good LAST story of how Indy & Marion end up together.
    *snif*

I blame Spielberg for allowing himself to go along with Lucas, i read Crystal Skull was a idea Lucas had for some time that Spielberg was not keen on at all. It was probably fun for all involved, simply as a reunion though its really is poor and sorry Marion made it even worse soon as she appeared on screen. What was going on when she just aimlessly starts driving that car boat like a lunatic :-)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    chrisisall wrote:
    *snif*

For me it's an appalling last story of how Indy & Marion get together. Karen Allens sassy, intelligent character from Raiders is reduced to an embarrassment; constantly getting captured (along with everyone else), uttering awful lines, making eyes at Indy and then having such a mastery of the laws of physics that she can drive a car off a cliff with sufficient precision to land in a tree that she has already calculated will perfectly bend to its weight and land them all safely in the river! If she's so smart how come she didn't notice the roar of 3 massive waterfalls ahead? But then I suppose she had already calculated that they would all survive 3 successive drops without a scratch.

And of course all of this shite is rendered in lovely CGI not the real stunt work that Speilberg promised.

F**king abysmal.