New JB Fan

edited February 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 9
Hi all,

I got intrested in JB after 'that scene' in the Olympics Opening. I thought, well give it a try and see what the fuss was about, I started with Dr. No and got hooked! So from then until October I managed to watch all 22 Bond films in release order so I could watch Skyfall at the cinema.

I have to say that this did pay off as Skyfall had plenty of references to its previous 22 films.

By the way I'm 37 and wondering how I missed the Bond films during my early years....

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wow, a total newbie! I'm fascinated- so, who was your favourite Bond actor?
  • Roger Moore, although I am liking Daniel Craig as for me, he is my 'first' in terms of cinema release.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    tjay76 wrote:
    Roger Moore, although I am liking Daniel Craig as for me, he is my 'first' in terms of cinema release.

Interesting. A hell of a contrast. Do you have a stand out favorite film of the 23, or do you still need to rewatch them further?
  • tjay76 wrote:
    Roger Moore

Good choice. Not my personal favourite but a great Bond who I think is very overlooked and underrated on this site.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2013 Posts: 17,691
    tjay76 wrote:
    Roger Moore, although I am liking Daniel Craig
    As a BRAND NEW fan (obviously never having read the novels) basing your preferences on a whirlwind marathon viewing of all the movies, I think I get where you're coming from with those two picks. Forgive us please if we descend upon you with tons of questions, you can offer a fairly unique & fascinating perspective here!
    And welcome.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I am amazed at how being the same age as myself you never stumbled across Bond before?
    That's interesting @tjay76
    And what's your favorite movie?
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 9
    Right, before London 2012 I actively stayed away from all things Bond, this included changing TV channels during Bank Holidays. I think this is because Bond films has been marketed as 'The best Bond Film ever' - which in my eyes means 'coz we haven't watched it 100's of times' LOL

It was more of a curiosity when I watched Dr. No. Although like I said I got hooked from that point on. I did find Moonraker a little hard to swallow, I'm all for suspending my disbelief...but THAT much?!

I think I like Roger Moore because in a sense his Bond is a bit like Tom Baker's Doctor in Doctor Who (I have been an on/off fan since 1980), and that both are roughly the same timeframe.

Favourite? Ok, I am going to be unoriginal here, and say Goldfinger, possibly becuase this was the film that found the franchise's feet.

I think the reason why I like Craig's Bond is the way EON has performed a slow reboot of the franchise as well as adding references to the previous films.

I personally would like to see S.P.E.C.T.R.E. or some other type of criminal agency reappear, as I think it would give the franchise more longevity and stay out of politics, as I felt that if I was a tad bit younger i would have gotten lost with the Cold War references made in some of the earlier films.

I am though reading the Bond original novels now...startingh from the beginning...again!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 9
    I have been looking at past Bond posts accross the internet, especially at the CR/Daniel Craig 'hate letters etc'

It makes me smile as a Doctor Who fan who has heard the 'Bonnie Langford - Companian?', then seeing new fans say the same about Catherine Tate - not only that the Dr Who fans are saying, even now that David Tennant was THE BEST and leaving 9 other actors out and grilling Matt Smith...(sound familer?)

The names/franchises have changed - the arguments haven't....
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Be most welcome @tjay76! A good example how Bond is in good health, you are taking the right path in Bond-fandom.
    tjay76 wrote:
    Hi all,

I got intrested in JB after 'that scene' in the Olympics Opening. I thought, well give it a try and see what the fuss was about, I started with Dr. No and got hooked! So from then until October I managed to watch all 22 Bond films in release order so I could watch Skyfall at the cinema.

I have to say that this did pay off as Skyfall had plenty of references to its previous 22 films.

By the way I'm 37 and wondering how I missed the Bond films during my early years....

All i can say is more power to you! Welcome to the club! Glad you have enjoyed the first 23 movies! :D
  • I did try to watch 'the other ones' but somehow they didn't cut it... never say never again for me lasted 10 minutes before I switched off!

I was wondering how the 'past bonds' comment was going to go, methinks the Dr Who comment I made, might have made me redeem myself LOL
  • RC7RC7
    tjay76 wrote:
    Roger Moore

Good call mate. I'm 29 and I've been a fan since I was 3. Roger was my Bond as kid and he's still the one I turn to when I need pure, unadulterated entertainment. The coolest man on the planet.

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited February 2013 Posts: 1,329
    Welcome @tjay76 ( I said this in silvas voice , "welcome James ,do you like the island?")
    I also agree sir Rog is the man to go to when u just want to smile!
    tjay76 wrote:
    Favourite? Ok, I am going to be unoriginal here, and say Goldfinger, possibly becuase this was the film that found the franchise's feet.

You don't have to justify yourself, GF is a great movie (though not very liked in this forum). I invite you to write your ranking of the 23 movies in http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/78/bond-movie-ranking-simple-list-no-details/p1
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Welcome @tjay76. By all means, please rewatch the films, get a solid idea of what you think and then attempt to rank them if you can. I'd love to see what you make of the series so far. Try to take each film on it's own, it helps to try and not blur the series into one. Hopefully you can find more appreciation for Lazenby and Dalton this way too.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Hopefully you can find more appreciation for Lazenby and Dalton this way too.

Sounds like advice I give to people in regard to Colin Baker and Paul Mcgann!!! I do see what you are getting at though.

I'm thinking of doing a Bondathon again, although this time round with less of a race than last year! Regarding OHMSS I didn't like Lazenby saying 'that line' although it did Bond a backstory from there onwards. I do think that Roger's and Sean's Bond possibly couldn't do it justice though.

I have been going back and forth with the films, and I will hold my hand up when it comes to Lazenby and Dalton, I think this is possibly not that they are Lazenby and Dalton Bond films, but more in need to be in the right frame of mind of watching them, as this can be applied to any fan-verse.

I will admit now though I have watched CR, QoS and SF more times though, as I said again this is possibly because Craig is 'My Bond'
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If you're interested we have a Doctor Who thread here too. Please do join in the discussions Bond and otherwise!
  • Now you're giving more reason never to leave my PC again!!
  • Can't believe you've not tried Bond before recently but it's never too late and I'm glad to hear how much you've become hooked. It amazes me to think that such a big franchise can be passed over but I know people who are much older than me who have never watched Star Wars and other big franchises that I would have assumed most would have at least seen at some point growing up. Good to hear you're a Dr Who fan also. There are plenty of us who appreciate that amazing show also.
    Welcome @tjay76.
  • Ahhh....Star Wars - watched one at school and didn't bowl me over at all - not only that I like to watch things in order, not watch parts 4-6 and wait 20 odd years for 1-3...!!

(err hang on, I might have to retract that as Bond fans have technically waited over 40 years for thier 'part one!!!') :))

I do seem to prefer home grown media (Bond, Dr Who, Hitch-hikers Guide, Red Dwarf etc) although I can watch a Star Trek - it doesn't 'get me' like a Bond film or an episode of Dr Who.

As a Who fan though, I won't be doing a Whovathon anytime soon....LOL
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    I would recommend the original Fleming novels too. I knew all the movies top to bottom at one point, and it never occurred to me (duh) that the novels might be...different. And as we all know, they are. I like (mostly) the novel versions better due to the 50s-60s era.