Pierce Brosnan is being a little bitch

edited February 2013 in News Posts: 1,492
Forgive the language, I am joking of course but the below is going to break Brosnanites hearts. I wonder why? Blowdrying his hair maybe? Walking the dog?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a457984/pierce-brosnan-refusing-to-take-part-in-james-bond-oscars-reunion.html

Comments

• AliAli
    edited February 2013 Posts: 319
    No conclusion has been reached on the website as to what he was saying. And we'd have been able to hear what he said if the camerman hadn't been so keen to motormouth. It is looking less likely that this will happen, though.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 886
    Not surprising if true....Brosnan still rankles over his departure.

Never forget who or what made you.. ;)
  • RC7RC7

Never forget who or what made you.. :)

I think it's fair to say Brosnan has never forgotten Bond. On the subject of people being little bitches, Dan's BAFTA absence? Or does that not count?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This is already being discussed here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5315/sean-connery-set-to-join-fellow-james-bond-actors-at-the-oscars

Also, I'm sure the mods aren't a fan of the 'provocative' thread title.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2013 Posts: 11,139
    RC7 wrote:

Never forget who or what made you.. :)

I think it's fair to say Brosnan has never forgotten Bond. On the subject of people being little bitches, Dan's BAFTA absence? Or does that not count?

As the face of Bond and SF's making $1.1Billion I think Craig's earned the right to miss at least one awards ceremony. Also, I think insulting Brosnan is a bit harsh. No one really knows if he's attending or not and if he isn't, he may have other commitments not to mention he's not obligated to participate in anything Bond related since his departure. Cut the man some slack.
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    Meh... it's up to them isn't it really :)

Would be nice if they'd all turn up though!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    EDIT: 7000 posts!

I'll say with Brosnan what I said about Connery: He can do what he wants.

Brosnan gave us some good movies and kept the franchise going. He doesn't owe us or EON anything and we can't force him to show up (if this tribute actually happens).

I'd say the people being little bitches are the people moaning at him for it.
    RC7 wrote:
    Dan's BAFTA absence? Or does that not count?

You could also question why people who criticise Skyfall or DC (I like Craig and SF for the record) get half the site having a go at them while bashing Brosnan is fine. Best to ignore the double standards as you won't get an answer.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Craig's earned the right to miss at least one awards ceremony.

He could've missed it if he wanted to anyway, he doesn't have to earn the right. We have to remember that these are at the end of the day, normal people. We can't force them to show up at the Oscars just because they played James Bond.
    Never forget who or what made you

He did the EON documentary and he's happily talked about it in interviews. It's not like he's disowned Bond, he's just apparently not going to stand on a stage for a minute or two at the Oscars, which I think is fair enough.
    haha he did NOT look happy towards the end of that clip did he xD

That look he gave the reporter suggests it's him...
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    Dan's BAFTA absence? Or does that not count?
    You could also question why people who criticise Skyfall or DC (I like Craig and SF for the record) get half the site having a go at them while bashing Brosnan is fine. Best to ignore the double standards as you won't get an answer.

For sure. My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I typed that. I know Steve loves Brosnan really.

And yeah it was "could be" at the end wasn't it.

And it doesn't mean much as the reporter said both Connery and him so he could be saying that to either... plus it's a non-committal comment...
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    RC7 wrote:
    I know Steve loves Brosnan really.

Yup. Same with Getafix.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote:
    On the subject of people being little bitches, Dan's BAFTA absence? Or does that not count?

Careful that counts as heresy to some people round here. Next you'll be saying that SF isnt the most finely crafted film in cinema history.

RC7 wrote:
    I know Steve loves Brosnan really.

Oh i do. I do. But i like taking the mickey out of the man more. He can laugh at himself but his fans seem to struggle.

And the title is tongue in cheek. To get a reaction.

Personally, i think he should attend because apart from presenting an award its going to be the closest he is going to get to an oscar.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2013 Posts: 5,979
    Regardless of what you think of his performances, Brosnan is the actor most mistreated by Eon in the entire franchise. He had the rug pulled out from under him in 1986 and again in 2005.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:
    Personally, i think he should attend because apart from presenting an award its going to be the closest he is going to get to an oscar.

Awww. Poor Brozza :))
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Some people should be ashamed of bashing people like that [-( . Brosnan and Craig, as well as the other actors, can do whatever they want with their free time.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    echo wrote:
    Regardless of what you think of his performances, Brosnan is the actor most mistreated by Eon in the entire franchise. He had the rug pulled out from under him in 1986 and again in 2005.

EoN had nothing to do with him not being in the role in '86. It was the producers and network execs of Remington Steel that screwed him over.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I'd rather not get involved with the whole "who screwed who over" arguement. I suspect there was some wrong done on both sides. Either way while he is the first Bond actor to be "let go" he's not the first with a grudge:

"Who was the first Bond villain?"
    "Cubby Broccoli"

Ouch! #-o
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2013 Posts: 5,979
    doubleoego wrote:
    echo wrote:

EoN had nothing to do with him not being in the role in '86. It was the producers and network execs of Remington Steel that screwed him over.

...leading to Cubby deciding not to cast him (he was the frontrunner) after all because why would audiences pay to see an actor they can see for free on TV every week?

It is different now; actors can more easily cross from TV and film and back.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 96
    double post
  • Quarrel wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    echo wrote:

Still, you can see why he might have plenty of negative feelings toward his overall Bond experience - he got screwed over and publically humiliated twice, just for wanting to play Bond.

Slightly off topic, I have to say I'm still kind of shocked at the crap thrown Brosnan's way around this site. He's not my favorite Bond either, and I don't think any of his Bond outings would crack my top 5 (well, maybe GE), but he still had some very strong Bond qualities. He did the movies he was given to do and played them the way he was directed to. I'm sure he would've liked better scripts just as much, if not more, than we did. But he was only one guy in the massive Bond machine.

As echo said, he kept the franchise alive. Heck, he did more than that - he helped the franchise thrive at a time when most had Bond going the way of the dodo. Give the man some slack.

One actor missing can ONLY mean himself, as i doubt, he would speak out for Connery.
    He never stood up to his fans saying "Cut out the crap", but made the "Bond, James Bond" comment, indicating having no teeth on camera during CR.
    IMO they did treat him with less courtesy then he deserved and he didn't hide the fact, he was fuming over it. I can partly understand that, but its still not the classiest way to react.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Quarrel wrote:
    Still, you can see why he might have plenty of negative feelings toward his overall Bond experience - he got screwed over and publically humiliated twice, just for wanting to play Bond.

Well seeing as he was pretty much just a TV actor with a handful of crappy straight to video films under his belt I would think gratitude should be his primary attitude to EON.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 290
    Was he literally the only Bond actor to get such harsh treatment?

And... what happened in '86?

EDIT -- Nevermind, just read up on the 1986 thing! Hm. I wonder if GoldenEye would ever have happened if he'd started then O.O
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 161
    RC7 wrote:
    On the subject of people being little bitches, Dan's BAFTA absence? Or does that not count?

Careful that counts as heresy to some people round here. Next you'll be saying that SF isnt the most finely crafted film in cinema history.

I love the fact it's the same 4 or 5 people who complain about Daniel Craig and Skyfall yet moan and groan when people don't agree with them :D

Craig is known to not be a big fan of the spotlight or award shows (he only went to the two award thingys this year to support his wife who was nommed). up to him if he wants to be there or not.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 96
    Quarrel wrote:

Well seeing as he was pretty much just a TV actor with a handful of crappy straight to video films under his belt I would think gratitude should be his primary attitude to EON.

Actually, he was a pretty big star (at least in the USA) due to his show being a huge hit. That's why the production company didn't want to let him go. If he was this crappy little actor with very little success, as you suggest, they wouldn't have had any problem letting him go.

But more to the point, I'm saying that you have to put yourself in someone else's shoes as much as you can if you want to understand thier actions and attitude. Brosnan probably doesn't think of Bond in the one-dimentional way we do (i.e. "He got to play Bond, so he should be grateful".) He obviously wanted very badly to play Bond and got this close to getting it --- only to have it pulled out from under him. And very publically at that. Then, years later, after being told he'd get a 5th film as Bond, he once again gets it pulled out from under him. And again in a very publically embarassing way.

So I'm guessing when Brosnan thinks of his time as Bond he thinks of these painful things as well as all the good stuff. It doesn't take much empathy to see how his view of things might be a little less rosey than where we sit.

Think of it this way. Have you ever had a really awful, painful breakup with a girl (or guy) you were really crazy about? No matter how good that relationship was in it's heyday, the pain of the breakup colors your feelings about that time for the rest of your life. You probably aren't that eager to remember or relive those times, despite all the good times you did have with that person.

Well, Brosnan had, in effect, not one but two painful breakups with the Bond franchise. He wouldn't be human if that didn't effect his attitude towards EON and everything else associated with Bond. Again, the guy is a human being. Until you've walked a mile in his shoes, cut him some slack.

This discussion has been closed.