What is your favourite way to watch Bond movies?

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited February 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,691
Blu-ray & humongous 1080 screen? DVD & old style cathode ray tube? VHS? Laserdisk?

I have a 26" LED TV, but I find I like the intimacy of watching Bond movies on my 9" portable DVD player with headphones (cranked loud)...
SANY6744_zps4e560255.jpg
It's kind of like reading a book.

How do you view your Bonds?

Comments

• From my iMac to my apple tv to my 50 inch plasma. And I always have a fluffer with me on the sofa.
    On my friends HD 50" TV. Sadly the biggest set my family has is 32. Its perfectly fine but isn't Hi-Def - hence why I haven't fully converted to blu ray yet. The smaller TV in my bedroom IS high def though.
  • With an audience, opening night, huge theatre.

Hearing the audience react along to the film - laughing at the jokes, letting their breath out at the end of a tense action scene, the murmurs of approval at key moments - it's a fantastic sharing experience. In fact, seeing a film or a concert with an audience is one of the last communal things we do as a society (not all everyone in the crowd at a sporting event is cheering for the same team).

On opening night there's that extra special air of excitement and anticipation - we're all the people that really want to see the film so badly we take the first opportunity. There's an incredibly infectious sense of anticipation and excitement there.

Finally, projected film in a theatre has four times the clarity of a Blu-ray on an HD TV. No matter how great your setup is at home, you're watching dramatically reduced picture quality - and for a Bond film with fantastic cinematography like SF that's a shame. Even the 2K digital theatres are still twice as clear as Blu-ray/hi-def.
  • The cinema. Nothing beats seeing a Bond film in the cinema, from the moment the white dots roll across the screen (or when he stands in a corridor ;) ) to the moment at the end where he shags the bird/finds solace/loses a woman he cares about.

One of my favourite memories will always be seeing TLD at the flicks.
  • The cinema. Nothing beats seeing a Bond film in the cinema, from the moment the white dots roll across the screen (or when he stands in a corridor ;) ) to the moment at the end where he shags the bird/finds solace/loses a woman he cares about.

TLD rocked as did LTK on the big screen....dalton the complete bond.

With an audience, opening night, huge theatre.Hearing the audience react along to the film - laughing at the jokes, letting their breath out at the end of a tense action scene, the murmurs of approval at key moments - it's a fantastic sharing experience. In fact, seeing a film or a concert with an audience is one of the last communal things we do as a society (not all everyone in the crowd at a sporting event is cheering for the same team).On opening night there's that extra special air of excitement and anticipation - we're all the people that really want to see the film so badly we take the first opportunity. There's an incredibly infectious sense of anticipation and excitement there.Finally, projected film in a theatre has four times the clarity of a Blu-ray on an HD TV. No matter how great your setup is at home, you're watching dramatically reduced picture quality - and for a Bond film with fantastic cinematography like SF that's a shame. Even the 2K digital theatres are still twice as clear as Blu-ray/hi-def. 
    I second that actually. The first viewing I had of Skyfall in the cinema was great.

TLD rocked as did LTK on the big screen....dalton the complete bond.

I never saw LTK on the big screen because I was only 7 when it came out. If there's one thing I do before I die it has to be that, I'd jump at the chance to see it at the cinema.

Dalton was the complete and best Bond. Should've done more in the early 90s before GE.
    I watched The Living Daylights with a good curry, some lime pickle and chippadis. Surprisingly the combination was excellent! But then again Great film and great food, you really can't go wrong.
  • I'm happy watching Bond from a cinema screen right down to my iPod touch. At home I watch on mainly my HD 40inch Sony TV but do watch on different devices. I've still got my old Sony PSP which has some Bond movies on UMD which is great to watch in bed if I want an early night.
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    Agreed. Skyfall in the theater was supreme. I hadn't seen a Bond movie first run since Tomorrow Never Dies.
    Oh forgot to mention, cinema is the best way. I'm in LA, so you can find Bond screenings pretty frequently. But currently I have a 32"HD and a Blu-Ray player. The bigger 1080p models would be nice but a bit pricey.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I think most of us can agree that a Bond movie in a cinema with a projected film image & a full house of enthusiasts is THE way to go- I was more curious as to your preferences at home. ;)
    As an aside, TND was my most thrilling Bond-in-cinema experience.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,497
    I do have a special place in my heart for watching Bond on VHS. Having all Bonds stacked up in a row each one with the Bond actor posed in front of a location background and pulling one off the shelf (you can still do this with DVD's I suppose, but it's different, the VHS stood out more on your shelf than the thin plastic DVD's do), popping it into the VCR, complete with the MGM Means Great Movies preview, and a few flickers from years of use. That is how I was introduced to Bond, so I will always think fondly of Bond on VHS.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    chrisisall wrote:
    I was more curious as to your preferences at home. ;)
    As an aside, TND was my most thrilling Bond-in-cinema experience.

TLD was mine although Goldeneye was pretty awesome because after waiting for years we finally had a new Bond film! I don't think I'd ever been more pleased to see a gunbarel in my life.

Anyway, my favourite way to watch them at home is on my TV (not a huge plasma screen but it's HD and it's big enough) with a take away (pizza, chinese, indian, chippy, anything really), a few cans and somebody to enjoy it with.
  • In the absence of seeing one at the theater, it's a 46" flatscreen and a sound bar for movie theater sound in my home. Everyone whether my friends or my children's seems to enjoy watching movies and playing video games with my setup so It works for me.
  • Nothing beats the cinema for me, lucky enough to watch the last 11 bond movies at the cinema. Can't beat that moment when the gun barrel comes on screen, the bond theme kicks and the anticipation for the next bond adventure hits its maximum. Oh wait the gun barrel was sadly missing of late :-P

• I was very fortunate that just down my street was a rep theatre (sadly, it shows documentaries almost exclusively now) and for years I got to see several classic films there, including several Bonds (OHMSS was one of their featured Xmas movies, along with Die Hard).

The first Bond film I saw there was GF and it was a real wake up call! This is the film that I've probably seen the most in my life; and I saw it constantly at a young, impressionable age so it was really cemented in my mind. To see it in a theatre was mind-blowing. All the detail that I could never see before - incredible! And to think how impressed I had been in the past to jump up from TV showings of worn out prints to VHS, then from VHS to DVD. But the leap from DVD to 35mm projected film was astonishing and words just couldn't do it justice. It was like seeing it again for the first time.

Another benefit was all the young university students who had never seen it before. Hearing their reactions made me remember some of my own - like "What the hell are all these Chinese guys doing in Switzerland?" and that incredible moment when Goldfinger reveals the true nature of his plan when Bond talks about how many hours it would take to remove the gold from Fort Knox. To say nothing of the reveal of Jill in gold paint - if you can believe it some people were surprised by it!
    First choice
    At the cinema with lots of popcorn, soft drink and during the first two weeks of the release date.

DVD (at home) with the lights out, fireplace, cuddling with lady friend
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The cinema but as that doesn't come around that often my own 24" screen TV has to do.
    On my tv in the Bond room, with lots of peace and quiet! :-bd
  • The cinema & a flat screen HD TV set.
  • The cinema ofcourse!!!

Second choice however, snuggled up in darkness, a drink and a snack, the world of Bond on an 80cm flat screen, depending on the mood, I will watch Vhs, Blu-ray, or DVD. :D
  • OligarchOligarch Banned
    edited February 2013 Posts: 110
    I love to cuddle with my boyfriend while watching Bond, funny thing is I'm a bigger Bond fan than he is...sometimes to make me happy he will wear a tuxedo during our dinner dates and pretend to be Bond .

isn't he cute!?!

my_BF2012.jpg
    My Wife says, "Oh yeah, He's cute!"
  • No kids. Some idiot brought his child to SF who started opening a bag of chips just when M was dying.

I also like to see my Bond films with as least spoilers as possible. I always wait a week to hear fan, not an industry worker's reaction before seeing the Bond film ever since I felt ripped off by DAD. Somehow I felt that they did more anniversary promotion for that than they did for SF with all glitz and glam for bedazzling some predictable film.

I also like to go to older movie theaters where the experience feels more classic.
    I also like to go to older movie theaters where the experience feels more classic.
    Sadly, where I live here in the States, there ARE no older theatres, just new multiplexes. I miss the old school big theatres terribly...
    :-<
    No kids.

Wait for the DVD then.
    Some idiot

He's an idiot for taking his kid to see a Bond film? Maybe the kid liked the films? Or maybe he wanted to introduce his son to them?
    who started opening a bag of chips just when M was dying.

Aren't you the guy who, on another thread, was bragging about how he "hilariously" yelled out bullsh*t during Goldeneye when you were a kid? Well now you know how it feels. And for the record I think what you did is much more annoying.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 110
    No kids. Some idiot brought his child to SF who started opening a bag of chips just when M was dying.

I also like to see my Bond films with as least spoilers as possible. I always wait a week to hear fan, not an industry worker's reaction before seeing the Bond film ever since I felt ripped off by DAD. Somehow I felt that they did more anniversary promotion for that than they did for SF with all glitz and glam for bedazzling some predictable film.

I agree 100%. I hate when parents drag their whining little kids to public places, so annoying, especially at the movies. The money these slobs spend on junkfood at the theaters is atrocious, the price of a bucket of popcorn is a weeks worth money of groceries for me!

oh and @thelivingroyale, its chips,not crisps honey
    Did none of you see a Bond film at the cinema when you were kids? One of my favourite memories is seeing TLD at the cinema when I was 5.

Think about your first Bond movie at the cinema, how old were you? Chances are you were a teenager or even younger, did you enjoy it? Would you really want to rob kids today of the same experience?

If kids and teenagers didn't see Bond films the movies wouldn't make as much money. And believe it or not we'll all be dead at some point so it's up to future generations to keep the franchise going.

I took my sisters kid to see Skyfall and he loved it.
    Oligarch wrote:
    I hate when parents drag their whining little kids to public places, so annoying

Y'know what I hate? When a conspiracy theory posting troll nobody likes repeatedly gets banned and makes new accounts, but then it takes a few days to ban him every time and we're stuck with him for the time being.
    A conspiracy theorist? What do you have against them? Are you one of those people that just blindly nods in agreement to what everything you're television tells you?

perhaps this article will help shed a little light on your ignorance towards others

http://www.secretsofthefed.com/33-conspiracy-theories-that-turned-out-to-be-true/