One BIG & One small....

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited February 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,691
Here I ask you to name your favourite BIG Bond (big budget, OTT action, silly or guilty pleasure) and your favourite small Bond (small budget, realistic, serious or character-driven). One only each, no 'honourable mentions' please, and if you only prefer one or the other, you only get ONE pick then. Discussions on the relative merits of your choices might be fun.

My choices: TND & TLD.

Comments

• OligarchOligarch Banned
    TWINE & FRWL
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Oligarch wrote:
    TWINE & FRWL

FRWL is a fan favourite and an obvious choice, but why TWINE? The crazy PTS, the M captive thing, the OTT air attack? All or none of the above?
    I really like TWINE quite a bit, BTW.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Big bond: The Spy Who Loved Me
    Small bond: Licence to Kill (it may be my favorite)
    Two most excellent choices! Near polar opposites in terms of realism, both high in entertainment value.
    B-)
  • Big Bond-Goldeneye (My favourite Bond film)
    Small Bond- Dr. No
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    chrisisall wrote:
    Two most excellent choices! Near polar opposites in terms of realism, both high in entertainment value.
    B-)

Thank you. You can clearly see the changes between the two, budget-wise, and they both make the most of it and I really enjoyed both.
    Big Bond-Goldeneye (My favourite Bond film)
    Small Bond- Dr. No
    Despite clearly being a 'big' Bond, Goldeneye retains some 'small' Bond aspects in that the character interaction is ultimately more integral to the film than the action set-pieces. Conversely, Dr. No is a big-film-wannabe, but executed very well despite its budget restraints. The films are not separated by all that much considering the final results IMO.
    chrisisall wrote:
    B-)
    Thank you. You can clearly see the changes between the two, budget-wise, and they both make the most of it and I really enjoyed both.
    This is what I find fascinating here, some peoples' choices will be nearer to the ends of the spectrum, and others' will be in closer proximity towards the middle.
    B-)
    Big Bond- Goldeneye
    Small Bond- For your eyes only
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Big Bond - You Only Live Twice
    Small Bond - From Russia With Love
  • Big - TSWLM
    Small - TLD
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    BB: Thunderball

SB: From Russia With Love
  • I think TLD is pretty big. Although since it's serious it would probably end up in the first category.

So my choices are LTK and GE.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    The big one : TSWLM

The small one : FRWL
    I think TLD is pretty big. Although since it's serious it would probably end up in the first category.
    No big space weapons, no submerged city-sized hideouts.....
    So my choices are LTK and GE.
    Lighter vs. giant satellite dish. ;)
  • OligarchOligarch Banned
    chrisisall wrote:
    Oligarch wrote:
    TWINE & FRWL

FRWL is a fan favourite and an obvious choice, but why TWINE? The crazy PTS, the M captive thing, the OTT air attack? All or none of the above?
    I really like TWINE quite a bit, BTW.

There's always been something about TWINE that I've quite enjoyed. It's Brosnan's best fed script and performance by far. The opening PTS in the bank office was very original and awesome. I really didn't care for the Q-Boat, but I've come to appreciate it. David Arnold's soundtrack in TWINE was his finest hour yet, I love the soundtrack. Renard was a unique villain that offered more realism than others. Elektra King was a great addition to the story, and her deception with Bond was a nice twist. I thought Denise Richards was a terrible casting choice, but I manage to see past her poor acting chops. I also thought the pipeline scene including Bond & Christmas was a bit over the top and unnecessary. IMO I feel as if the producers had one foot in the serious/gritty direction, and the other in the campy/action direction with TWINE. It had many serious moments that shined, showing a more emotional depth to Brosnan's Bond, but at the same time it offered the usual unnecessary action gimmicks we were all to familiarly used to. None the less TWINE is one of favorites. I'll never forget seeing it with my dad and older brother back in 1999. Also I loved TWINE for the N64. It had awesome multiplayer as well, even had simbots.
  • Thunderball /On her majestys secret service and From Russia with love.

On her majestys secret service possibly in between big and small as despite a lower budget certainly has spectacle.