Quantum of Solace - The worst Bond flick to date

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Yes, Dan inherited such a healthy franchise. So healthy that EON were desperately scrambling to reinvent the character after DAD devastated any planning the franchise had up to that point. About as healthy as cardiac arrest.

He inherited a very healthy franchise. The series was in no danger of ending. Actually DAD was the most successful Bond film ever at the time, unadjusted. It didn't do terribly critically either.

After DAD, if we hadn't gotten CR, we probably would've gotten a back-to-earth FYEO type 5th Brosnan flick.

The series would have been fine without Craig. Would the films have been as successful and popular, maybe not. But the series would've carried on.

The only time I ever actually thought the series was over was after LTK, and after GE was announced I've learned that Bond will keep going no matter what. Chances are it'll outlive me.

Financially, obviously, but I mean the franchise was in the danger of getting worse with its storytelling, something that was prominently abysmal in the least half of DAD especially. MGW and Barbara talk about how they were so puzzled as to where to go next, when they realized they had to take Cubby's advice: Go back to Fleming. Luckily we had good scripts again.
    QoS is arguably the best post-Dalton Bond IMO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Getafix wrote:

More so than CR?
  • Getafix wrote:

I still think that's Goldeneye, but I do like QOS much more after giving it a rewatch. I think it's better than CR.
  • MrBond wrote:
    three latest Bondfilms to the critical acclaimed films that they actually are.

I like QOS but it was far from critically acclaimed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

More so than CR?
    Yes, he finds it more enjoyable than CR.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

More so than CR?
    Yes, he finds it more enjoyable than CR.

I know, it's just a surprising comment that I never get to hear. It's quite interesting, really, and I enjoy hearing some love for QoS.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    MrBond wrote:

Perhaps not as acclaimed as CR or SF. But it did certainly better with the critics then the most of Brosnans movies.

[quote/]He inherited a very healthy franchise. The series was in no danger of ending. Actually DAD was the most successful Bond film ever at the time, unadjusted. It didn't do terribly critically either.

After DAD, if we hadn't gotten CR, we probably would've gotten a back-to-earth FYEO type 5th Brosnan flick.

The series would have been fine without Craig. Would the films have been as successful and popular, maybe not. But the series would've carried on.

The only time I ever actually thought the series was over was after LTK, and after GE was announced I've learned that Bond will keep going no matter what. Chances are it'll outlive me.[/quote]

Bond was consindered a joke after DAD yes commercially successful but not critical or memorable. The series with Craig is at its Coolest its been since early Connery (i know you hate me saying that but its true) plus at its most commercially successful since the mid 60's mania. Plus its never been as Critically or awarded as its been under Craig. Yes Bond would have continued but it wouldn't be at the level it is now without him.

• edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    MrBond wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

Perhaps not as acclaimed as CR or SF. But it did certainly better with the critics then the most of Brosnans movies.

I'm not sure. GE was really well recieved, I can't remember how well recieved TND was. QOS did get better reviews than TWINE (not sure why if I'm honest).

It got about equal to DAD. Both had a fairly mixed reaction.
    lahaine wrote:
    Bond was consindered a joke after DAD yes commercially successful but not critical or memorable.

Erm no he wasn't. Were you a fan in 2002? Because DAD got decent enough reviews.
    lahaine wrote:
    The series with Craig is at its Coolest its been since early Connery (i know you hate me saying that but its true)

I wrote a big, long post about opinions and how "Craig made Bond cool again" is simply not true so I can't be arsed repeating myself.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I can't disagree enough with the title of this thread.
    For those criticising the plot...BOND himself is the plot, its his film, its a revenge flic. As for editing - intense yes; it has to be, Bond has no luxury of sitting back and so, this time around, nor should we. You are quite simply in it with him.
    Ok so Craig himself has said he is not happy with certain elements but seriously? worst bond ever?..nonsense. An unpredictable, underrated film - beautifully shot and a real expose of Bonds frame of mind.

It all goes too fast say some - go with it and pay attention, say I.

A superb entry.

For the record; put DAF in the bin but leave me with the theme song. :-)

Correct on QoS - those criticising it need to read their Fleming Bond novels

The one thing though, is that according to Fleming Bond would never have disobeyed M. Then again, the M in the books didn't fly around the world to have a conversation with Bond, either.

See YOLT, OHMSS and TMWTGG and TLD ss for proof that he did disobey M quite often in Fleming.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I can't disagree enough with the title of this thread.
    For those criticising the plot...BOND himself is the plot, its his film, its a revenge flic. As for editing - intense yes; it has to be, Bond has no luxury of sitting back and so, this time around, nor should we. You are quite simply in it with him.
    Ok so Craig himself has said he is not happy with certain elements but seriously? worst bond ever?..nonsense. An unpredictable, underrated film - beautifully shot and a real expose of Bonds frame of mind.

It all goes too fast say some - go with it and pay attention, say I.

A superb entry.

For the record; put DAF in the bin but leave me with the theme song. :-)

Correct on QoS - those criticising it need to read their Fleming Bond novels

The one thing though, is that according to Fleming Bond would never have disobeyed M. Then again, the M in the books didn't fly around the world to have a conversation with Bond, either.

See YOLT, OHMSS and TMWTGG and TLD ss for proof that he did disobey M quite often in Fleming.

Are you kidding me? Look one page back and you will see YOU already responded that to me once, and I've already replied.

Haha

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/369/quantum-of-solace-the-worst-bond-flick-to-date/p9
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, sorry. I clicked send by accident - meaning my post was accidentally added again! Sorry about that!
  • certainly don't feel it's the worst at all, but it is a disappointment. Here's detailed thoughts my movie blog:

http://toddmthatcher.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/the-007-files-quantum-of-solace/
  • I put QOS somewhere in the middle to bottom 2/3 of the franchise, but it's far from the worst. DAD, TMWTGG, DAF and AVTAK are worse.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    QoS is far from perfect, but it's perhaps the most underrated Bond film.
  • Having just rewatched the entire EON franchise I can safely put it in my bottom 3. The Tosca scene is great but thats about it.

Bottom 5
    1.DAF
    2.AVTAK
    3.QoS
    4.DAD
    5.YOLT
  • Yep, QOS is for me the worst of the Bond movies. I watched it again recently, and yes,I quite agree with the blokes girlfriend. No cohession, jumpy as hell and totally non sensical [oh, and it had pretentious arty shots in it too !!] and a horrible theme song.
    Also watched DAD again, and kind of enjoyed it - quite ridiculus, but fun. QOS just had no Bond feel to it at all. Hate DAF too!!
    echo wrote:
    QoS is far from perfect, but it's perhaps the most underrated Bourne film.

I felt the need to correct you on the subject of Quantum of Bourne. O:-)

• QOS is good and an enjoyable 90 minutes. I like it much more than I used to and I prefer it to CR in some ways.

But I also don't think it's the underrated masterpiece some people claim it is and I don't think it deserves a spot in my top 10. It's an average middle ranker with some really good scenes but also it's fair share of flaws.
    The problem most of us have with QoS is that the plot is so friggin convuluted and confusing. I once said it was all over the map and it is...had they just stuck with the Quantum and Mr. White plot it would have been fine but to introduce that weak slimy Dominic Green, the Camille revenge subplot, just so confusing.

It is no where as bad as DAF, MR or DAD
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 3,279
    Annoying....I just typed a lengthy post and it didn't appear!!! I can't be arsed having to type it all again.

Anyway, it went along the lines of saying QoS was a disappointment after CR. Had it come off the back of DAD I think it would have been received better.

We expected something along the lines of SF after CR.

And for all the faults of a DAF or a MR, they have a warmer feeling overall than QoS, which leaves me feeling slightly cold.

And other than the opening car chase, the rest of the action sequences I find tedious in QoS.
  • RC7RC7
    Annoying....I just typed a lengthy post and it didn't appear!!! I can't be arsed having to type it all again.

Anyway, it went along the lines of saying QoS was a disappointment after CR. Had it come off the back of DAD I think it would have been received better.

And for all the faults of a DAF or a MR, they have a warmer feeling overall than QoS, which leaves me feeling slightly cold.

And other than the opening car chase, the rest of the action sequences I find tedious in QoS.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I particularly identify with your description of DAF and MR feeling warm. For a 'cold' film to be re-watchable, it has to tick all the right boxes. In a 'warm' film it's slightly more forgivable when the plot goes a bit awry. You can glean your entertainment from different facets of the film, and revel in it's absurdity.
    RC7 wrote:

I agree with pretty much all of this. I particularly identify with your description of DAF and MR feeling warm. For a 'cold' film to be re-watchable, it has to tick all the right boxes. In a 'warm' film it's slightly more forgivable when the plot goes a bit awry. You can glean your entertainment from different facets of the film, and revel in it's absurdity.

I think also for me, the nostalgia of childhood memories play a part in watching films like MR and DAF, which also adds to the `warmth'.
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    QoTS is great. Far from being the worst EVER Bond. Least of Craig's outings, perhaps. But it's better than the least of Moore's for sure.
    007inJapan wrote:
    Yep, QOS is for me the worst of the Bond movies. I watched it again recently, and yes,I quite agree with the blokes girlfriend. No cohession, jumpy as hell and totally non sensical [oh, and it had pretentious arty shots in it too !!] and a horrible theme song.
    Also watched DAD again, and kind of enjoyed it - quite ridiculus, but fun. QOS just had no Bond feel to it at all. Hate DAF too!!

You are 100 percent right in what you say about qos.
    No cohession, jumpy as hell and totally non sensical,you are spot on.
    Pretentious arty shots,stupid idea.
    Dizzy editing is another shocking point.
    Dreary locations for a bond film.
    Worst bond film for sure.

Well QOS doesnt have any cringe worthy slapstick moments or juvenile humour as in some other Bond films, but apart from that, i can quite honestly say QOS was one of the worst cinematic experiences of any film i have seen.

After CR, this film was a crushing dissapointment, due to the appaling direction and editing of the film which rendered a great deal of the film an incohesive mess.

.......and never mention that god awful title song to me..........arghhhhhhhh!

DrNo wrote:
    QoTS is great. Far from being the worst EVER Bond. Least of Craig's outings, perhaps. But it's better than the least of Moore's for sure.

and Brosnans ones too. I rate QoS a lot i think its the Bond film that needs rewatching then most like LTK and OHMSS to really get it imo, its major weakness is its editing which in some scenes is shocking. Craig is awesome as Bond in it, it has a great bond girl,the opening 15 minutes is Bond at it's best. It only dips for me during the plane battle. Its in my top 10 nowhere near CR or Skyfall greatness or the early Connery efforts but i take it over any Moore or Brosnan or late connery Bond's simple cause its gritty and not a camp fest.
    Given all your great comments and observations and the facts do not lie:
    QoS was rushed and released two years after CR...now there lies a four year gap between SF and QoS...
    Maybe EON should take longer before releasing a new Bond film...when given the time (four years between DAD and CR) they make a pretty good film (and Purvis and Wade uses the time to bone up on their writing skills)

Bond 24 should wait until 2016 before it's released. Maybe....
    In my opinion, anyone who thinks that qos is great or highly rated has no taste in movies.