"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

20 pages- 600 comments- that Die Another Day may be a 'good' movie ? - I don't get it..

actually, only a percentage of this is really about Die Another Day, I can see plenty of other Bond releases and bits and pieces creeping into the sober arena..

I'm with Action Steve on this, this thread has gone on far too long...... I'm sorry, but that's about the size of it

why 20 pages for this ?!

Die Another Day, despite some decent sporadic bits and pieces of action, is a piece of crap film

There - I said it all in about 18 words /:)
    @actonsteve: Yeah I know, I too am surprised that the mods haven't either sent out a warning to get back on topic or shut this one down altogether. This has almost joined the ranks of the "Are There Any Women Here on MI6" and "Bond Beard" Threads. Still though, at least the majority of this one is still Bond talk and not silly puns or cheap jokes, hahahaha.

@SirHenryLeeChaChing: I am quite mature, and so what if I think Bond should be about slam-bang action?! If it was all filled with boring office scenes and love romances, I wouldn't be interested in the least. Does my love for big action equate to my level of maturity? Goodness, you're getting out of hand with this!

• edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    But it's like I keep saying, you just don't understand true cinematic Bond classics if you don't appreciate GF and OHMSS.

Yes, he does. It's all opinion, to him (and me, and lots of others), GE is a true cinematic Bond classic. I'm sure @00Beast appreciates what OHMSS and (especially), GF have done for the series, he just finds them boring and doesn't enjoy them as much as other films, which is fine.

And I'm 28 and like to think of myself as pretty mature, and Rambo 3 is in my top 10 favourite films EVER (to clarify, this is the Rambo that ends with him destorying what seems like the entire soviet army in the desert). Just because he prefers more action oriented Bonds, it doesn't make him any less mature.

EDIT: Didn't notice he basically already said this himself, sorry.
    But it's like I keep saying, you just don't understand true cinematic Bond classics if you don't appreciate GF and OHMSS.

Yes, he does. It's all opinion, to him (and me, and lots of others), GE is a true cinematic Bond classic. I'm sure @00Beast appreciates what OHMSS and (especially), GF have done for the series, he just finds them boring and doesn't enjoy them as much as other films, which is fine.

Thank you! Glad to know somebody gets it! I do appreciate what GF and OHMSS have done for the Bond series in terms of keeping it diverse and keeping it going on for 50 years, but in terms of enjoyability, oh heavens no.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That haphazard review pretty much sums up DAD for the garbage that it is.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 3,494

And I'm 28 and like to think of myself as pretty mature, and Rambo 3 is in my top 10 favourite films EVER (to clarify, this is the Rambo that ends with him destroying what seems like the entire soviet army in the desert). Just because he prefers more action oriented Bonds, it doesn't make him any less mature.

EDIT: Didn't notice he basically already said this himself, sorry.

I said he can have his opinion, why are you making an argument out of nothing? I'm fine with you, him, anyone preferring action. Not a problem. I just don't feel it's a reasonable opinion to rate two such classic and fantastic films such as those so low, and having been a 15 year old male once I happen to know that (a) teens think they know it all and are mature (they don't and aren't), and (b) someday when true maturity kicks in, he will have more appreciation for the pacing and the story being presented.

I am getting a little tired of hypocrites around here beefing when someone has an opinion that cuts on something they love, but it's OK for them to do it to something they don't and think they are exempt from criticism in return. I know why Acton Steve, Wizard, Getafix, etc feel like they do, some people you can't have a spirited and honest debate with before they take it personally. I don't take any criticism as unwarranted the way others do. It makes sense or it doesn't, and I have as much right to say so. Here what else I've got to say. My 11 year old son (12 next month) is more savvy and smart to the series, without my prompting, than most of the teens here who comment. I am so proud of him. He loves GE by the way and aside from my complaints about the music, I love the film too. But he's smart enough to know that putting the likes of DAD and MR above GF and OHMSS is, as Doctor Professor Metz would say, "utter madness".

Now that's MY opinion and I am entitled to it. Don't make me quote Dalton next
    I know it's your opinion. I was just saying that to him, GE is classic and OHMSS and GF aren't very good. I don't know if you were talking about me when you said this
    I am getting a little tired of hypocrites around here beefing when someone has an opinion that cuts on something they love, but it's OK for them to do it to something they don't and think they are exempt from criticism in return.

but I love OHMSS and GF.
    Well if all folks that think that DAD is crap bugger off after they have had more than their share of negativity about their film.
    The people that actually like the movie are left among themselves to talk about enjoying it without the negativity of certain people that find their opinion gold and people who think different should be taken into care.

Want to talk about GE or OHMSS create another thread.

Have a mutual admiration thread go away and make one.

DAD is an enjoyable movie that pretends to be a Brosnan 007 movie, it has its problems like somewhat bargainbasement CGI at one moment. Overall this is the movie where Brosnan did play his best Bond. And imho it is a shame that he never got his FYEO-kind of movie to finish of his series. There would have been plenty of time for it between DAD & CR.

SaintMark wrote:
    it has its problems like somewhat bargainbasement CGI at one moment. Overall this is the movie where Brosnan did play his best Bond. And imho it is a shame that he never got his FYEO-kind of movie to finish of his series. There would have been plenty of time for it between DAD & CR.

This is basically how I feel.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2012 Posts: 9,117
    And I'm 28 and like to think of myself as pretty mature, and Rambo 3 is in my top 10 favourite films EVER (to clarify, this is the Rambo that ends with him destorying what seems like the entire soviet army in the desert). Just because he prefers more action oriented Bonds, it doesn't make him any less mature.

EVER!!!!??!

Good grief. Its struggling to even be in the top 3 Rambo films.

I really do despair sometimes.

EVER!!!!??!

Yep, my 10th favourite film. All 3 Rambos are in my top 20 favourite films. My favourites in order are First Blood, Rambo 3, then First Blood part 2.
    All 3 Rambos are in my top 20 favourite films .

Except there are 4 Rambo films so youre obviously not that much of a fan.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I meant the original 3. I'm not much for the 4th one. Just didn't enjoy it as much as the others.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

I beg your pardon ? 3 of the 4 Rambo films in his top 20 films is not enough to be a fan ? By jove, do you need to have 18 Bond films in your top 20 films of all time to be a Bond fan ?

Hi. Just doing what I do sometimes in this thread...strolling by just to say:

DAD sucks!

It´s not just an appalling Bond film, it´s a really bad film all around. Period.

Do carry on old chaps.

PS: First Blood is the way to go. The others are pop fun, nothing more. Same goes for Rocky. The first one is cinema History.
    Interestingly enough,

I picked up one of those Aussie backpacker mags you get outside tube stations and they had a review of the exhibtion at the Barbican,

EVEN THEY...

Yes, even a cheap crap backpacker piece of crap referred to DAD as

"the lowpoint of the series"

This is a mag which shows pictures of drunken antipodeans throwing up in the street - the Times Literary supplement it aint.

And now I am off to slap myself for contributing to this endless bloody thread. They made me do it. :(( :((

I beg your pardon ? 3 of the 4 Rambo films in his top 20 films is not enough to be a fan ? By jove, do you need to have 18 Bond films in your top 20 films of all time to be a Bond fan ?

Not at all I cant imagine how anyone could say they have Rambo 3 down as one of the best films ever without being a fan. I was merely pointing out his factual error in stating 'all 3 Rambo films' when there are actually 4.
    I recently brought this months Total Film and there is a section called flashback and it looks at an old magazine and this one looks at issue 72 in 2002, their film of the month in this issue was Die Another Day and this is the quote: If you want excitement,laughs and pure sex appeal, remember one thing: Bonds have more fun.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    And I'm 28 and like to think of myself as pretty mature, and Rambo 3 is in my top 10 favourite films EVER (to clarify, this is the Rambo that ends with him destorying what seems like the entire soviet army in the desert).

EVER!!!!??!

This made me laugh! (I like the Rambo films, btw)

Anyway, I agree with @SaintMark and @thelivingroyale. Brosnan should have a fifth..
    @royale65: I'm with you, SaintMark, and thelivingroyale on this one. Brosnan needed a fifth outing! Since Die Another Day was the weakest of his four, he deserved a more excellent send-off. Besides, his full potential wasn't tapped into because of the dumb script writing.
  • Despite some flaws, I thought Die Another Day was a good Bond film.
  • i hadn't seen Die Another Day since the theater over 10 years ago. I re-watched because I'm individually blogging each Bond picture. I really wanted to find something redeeming, but I just can't. I do think it's the worst 007 film ever. The CG alone is just embarrassing.

http://toddmthatcher.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/the-007-files-die-another-day/
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    I actually find Die Another Day more entertaining than Tomorrow Never Dies, and the worst Brosnan Bond is still better than three quarters of the Moore outings. It's dumb fun, mostly ridiculous with some moments of candy.

First Blood and Rambo IV are amazing. The others...eh...not so much. And all the Rockys are great except V. Though yes, the first one is in a class by itself.
  • I yelled out "Bullsh---!" iN the movie theatre just after the Saved by the Bell scene, everybody laughed. I want my money back for my ticket to see this film.
    I'm grateful to DAD for being so appallingly bad, that it forced the producers to give us DC and CR.

There, you go, I found something positive to say about DAD....... :D
    DAD is one those movies that is so bad...it's good.
  • i think the writers were on crack, a bond bad guy with diamond stuck in his face, like some bedazzled villian more like j-zao. Awful not even close to tnd
    Chang wrote:

I agree in part. It does have a bit of a "guilty pleasure" quality to it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Chang wrote:

If anyone gets any pleasure out of THAT, then they should only feel guilt.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Chang wrote:

If anyone gets any pleasure out of THAT, then they should only feel guilt.

Hey hey hey, it's not completely awful, Brady! It is still a Bond movie! And one loads with good action, at that! There's a high point! The action is worth its watch!