Similarities in acting between Sean Connery's Bond and Daniel Craig's Bond

edited December 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 11,119
To kick off discussion, I found two very nice posters.

One from Sir Sean Connery back in 1964 when he was recording 'Goldfinger'. His 3rd Bond film:
Christie%2527s+007+Auction.jpg

And one from Daniel Craig when he was doing promotional shots for his 3rd Bond film 'Skyfall':
5dda95b.jpg

Besides the obvious similarities between the two pictures above........what more striking similarities do you see between Connery and Craig?

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Okay, there's a thread like this already (it's called "Is Daniel Craig reviving Sean Connery's something something blah blah"). I just tried to find it, but I couldn't. Somebody, please post a link to this.

Oh, and there's no real similarities between those two posters besides Bond in the center and the DB5 in the picture.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 229
    I do see similarities, the pose beside the DB5 with a landscape in the background, the black and white.
    They both have big ears(pointed ears).
    The voice, deep, commanding.
  • Now that you have shown these pics. There are similarities between Sean Connery & Daniel Craig.
    Now that you have shown these pics. There are similarities between Sean Connery & Daniel Craig.

Wll they are the best Bonds ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Okay, there's a thread like this already (it's called "Is Daniel Craig reviving Sean Connery's something something blah blah"). I just tried to find it, but I couldn't. Somebody, please post a link to this.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4428/is-craig-reviving-connerys-golden-age-of-bond
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Both are dry and DC more then Connery.

DC in Bond 24: Dry Martini shaken not stirred..
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    M_Balje wrote:
    Both are dry and DC more then Connery.

DC in Bond 24: Dry Martini shaken not stirred..

I don't see dryness in Connery's first four at all. I thought he dished the one liners well, and always kills it with his confidence while he says them.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Both like having at least one hand in their pockets.

Both are the best Bonds

Both have made the best Bond movies

Both are the most bankable Bond actors

Both have iconic villains fir their 3rd outings

Both have the highest Bond girl fatalities.
    I don't see a similarity between Sean Connery and Daniel Craig . But I do see a strong similarity between Daniel Craig and Jonathan Harris ( American actor who played Dr.Smith in TVs 'Lost In Space') Does anyone have a picture to post of Jonathan Harris as'Dr.Smith'.
    Jason19 wrote:
    I don't see a similarity between Sean Connery and Daniel Craig . But I do see a strong similarity between Daniel Craig and Jonathan Harris ( American actor who played Dr.Smith in TVs 'Lost In Space') Does anyone have a picture to post of Jonathan Harris as'Dr.Smith'.

Don 't you even know, how to post a pic? So, IF you make those silly posts, you should at least be able to back them up yourself and not have other do it for you.
  • Connery and Craig (along with Dalton) as before, are the only ones of the six actors to play Bond that I found credible or what Fleming even intended. Lazenby did well, but only got to do the one appearance, which is a pity in retrospect. Moore did well here and there, but I can't place the name alongside the aforementioned others. Brosnan, I'm afraid, simply didn't work for me for the most part, and felt so far detached from what Bond should resemble sometimes, so while Craig is a very good James Bond from what we have seen thus far in the six years of his tenure, I still am unable to place him on a plateau with Dalton and Connery yet. Both Sean and Craig are no-nonsense Bonds (for the most part), not an overuse on humor, look the part, and you usually expect them to get the job done when watching

One thing I noticed about Craig in Skyfall, in that there was more humor evident than before, or Bond wasn't quite so serious or ruthless as before ? This also happened with Connery towards the end of his tenure also. So - another similarity there
    GermanLady (again) You can find Jonathan Harris (actor ) yourself Fraulein on Wikipedia - where there is a very clear picture of Dr.Smith in 1964 - as you can see the likeness to Dan Craig is unmistakeable. As you are into criticising peoples computer skills - may I say that your'e spelling and punctuation needs a lot of improvement. Guten Aben.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Jason19 wrote:
    GermanLady (again) You can find Jonathan Harris (actor ) yourself Fraulein on Wikipedia - where there is a very clear picture of Dr.Smith in 1964 - as you can see the likeness to Dan Craig is unmistakeable. As you are into criticising peoples computer skills - may I say that your'e spelling and punctuation needs a lot of improvement. Guten Aben.

You must be legally blind.
    Jason19 wrote:
    [/quote]

Did you ask someone else to post a pic or not? Sometimes I think, you are not for real, which is probably the truth. I am starting to feel bad about being in the same age group as you.

Legally blind? Among other things, yes.
  • Jason19 wrote:

I can't tell if you are actually serious or just trolling. Even if you wouldn't have made that small typo it still would have been a "you're" which means "you are". Your sentence makes no sense. (Sorry for derailing the thread even further BTW.)
    Robs9090 wrote:
    Jason19 wrote:

I can't tell if you are actually serious or just trolling. Even if you wouldn't have made that small typo it still would have been a "you're" which means "you are". Your sentence makes no sense. (Sorry for derailing the thread even further BTW.)

His sentence does make sense, because you know what form of "your/you're" he meant to say. I'm disgusted at the way some people feed on minor things just to spring up an argument.

And then apologize for derailing the thread as if that makes it okay.
    Question is, WHO is here derailing anything. Certainly not Robs.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I don't see the comparisons myself. I don't think they look anything like eachother and their Bonds are pretty different.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Question is, WHO is here derailing anything. Certainly not Robs.

Well you and Jason started it by arguing (Jason didn't need to add in that last bit and you could've just ignored Jasons post or flagged it if it offended you) but then Robs didn't exactly help by picking holes at Jasons grammar and derailing the thread even further.
    Sorry, but I didn't start anything.

On topic, I think, their acting is different, as you say, the way the character is portrayed is different.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    These two wonderful men are my top 2 for greatest Bond!

Sean is the reason I got into Bond, Dan the reason why I am still here. Honorable mentions go to Timothy Dalton, a fantastic Bond, at the 3rd place position. I like my Bond serious, and these boys more than fit the bill. B-)
  • AliAli
    edited January 2013 Posts: 319
    what more striking similarities do you see between Connery and Craig?

They're both black and white and have a DB5?

I really don't like Connory. Comes across as a smug b*****d for the most part, and despite protests to the contrary, he's very far removed from Fleming's Bond IMO. Probably due to his inability to show emotion when acting, again, when playing Bond. This will be even less popular, but I actually rate Sir Rog as a better actor, at least as Bond. I may have been the only person who cheered when they shot Connory in The Untouchables as well.

Craig, on the other hand, can act, and act well. Of all the Bonds, he's the best true actor, and shows the greatest range of emotion. You feel every punch, every let down, every victory, along with him. The only thing he really lacks is that unquantifiable attribute, charisma. Which is why Craig is my second favourite to Brosnan, who is very good at playing Pierce Brosnan, but not much else, but he has charisma by the bucketload and it just worked for me.
    I agree with Ali about Dan Craigs lack of charisma despite being an experienced actor. I would just like to add something in my defense about GermanLady's astonishing remark that she 'Didn't start anything' on this discussion. GermanLady follows every post I make and responds to it with insulting personal remarks directed at ME - not at my choice of film , script etc but ME personally. I know I criticise some films, actors, scripts etc. but I try not to make insulting remarks to members unless insulted first. GermanLady openly ridicules me for not posting a picture, denigrates me for being middle aged, hints in her last post directed at me that I am not only blind but there are many things'wrong' with me. This happens on nearly every post I make , she follows me like a fury personally denigrating me at every turn.
    What can I say? You just ask for it, now don't complain. You are making silly, insulting remarks about Daniel Craig and where there is attack, defense should be allowed, no? There is critisizing and critisizing - yours is the latter. Post like a grown up and maybe it gets better.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    @Jason19 it was I who made the "legally blind" joke not @Germanlady, so blame me. I have no fault that you have no sense of humour whatsoever. You provoke people and then feel offended by innocent comments. As for me, I'll simply start ignoring your comment from now on and invite others to do the same. When you are interested in healthy, intelligent discussions and not simply in dropping by to preach about things you know nothing about perhaps people will treat you differently.
    Sandy wrote:
    @Jason19 it was I who made the "legally blind" joke not @Germanlady, so blame me. I have no fault that you have no sense of humour whatsoever. You provoke people and then feel offended by innocent comments. As for me, I'll simply start ignoring your comment from now on and invite others to do the same. When you are interested in healthy, intelligent discussions and not simply in dropping by to preach about things you know nothing about perhaps people will treat you differently.

Oh, SNAP! /:)

Sandy wrote:

=D>
    Everthing you two women(GermanLady and Sandy ) say is true in reverse . It is you who have no sense of humour or may I say perspective, and you two who make insulting remarks about members who refuse to prostrate themselves at your Holy Mosque of Daniel Craig. Craig is a perfectly ordinary little feller who's bulked up for the role (everyone does) with no particular personality or outstanding features who is more Harry Palmer than James Bond (except that Michael Caine has loads more personality). It is ironic that his first enemy in CR is Le Chiffre ( the cypher) for it is Craig who is the cypher,void of personality, blank stony faced, less than average height. a dull face you wouldn't notice in a crowd ( the perfect assasin). The new age of action films may require just that - a mere token figure (like a video game) just wating for the explosions and mayhem to begin.
  • The thread should be renamed to similarities between Timothy Dalton's Bond and Craig's. Dainel's heritage has always been Dalton's whether he believes it or not.

Sean is the daddy no doubt but all his children hae taken different aspects from his Bond.