Quantum of Solace - The worst Bond flick to date

Comments

• AliAli
    Oh well. It's in my top 5. I'd place Dr. No at the bottom. Yes, it was the first. But it's terrible to watch now. One bikini does not make a movie.
    At first when I watched QoS I left the cinema disappointed but after re watching it with CR at home and the more I watch it the more I love it.
    So NO QoS is not the worst Bond film. IMO
    Like hell it is. It has its problems for sure. The writer's strike hit it bad, and I feel sorry for all involved having to try and make a movie when they didn't have a finished script. For the quick cut editing there is simply no excuse, that was awful and ruined some potentially fabulous action scenes. There is, however a lot of interesting stuff there, too, story-wise and character-wise, I like the locations and cinematography, there are some good scenes and details, and some good humor. The acting is fine. So, a lot of good stuff. I like it, and find it improves with further views.
    It certainly doesn't make me cringe with embarrassment at all like some Bond movies do.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    It's one of the better ones for me, thanks to the presence of Daniel Craig - my only qualm is that not enough of the actual short story was used here and this was largely due to the Writers' Strike, I'd imagine.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sammm04 wrote:
    It is the worst "BOND" film, but not the worst action film ever, I feel i speak for a lot of people when I say it just wasn't a BOND film.
    It was more Bondian (in character) than anything Moore did, especially at the end of his run and for some of the crap they wrote Bond doing in DAD.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 414
    I will echo the common sentiment that there is no "bad" Bond movie. Even my least favorite movies are movies I'd defend compared to non-Bond flicks, and I'd consider more my 23rd, 22nd, and 21st favorite Bond movies.

That being said, QoS makes my Top 10. First time I saw it, I was put off at first by the frantic camera work and editing, but about it the middle something clicked for me and I left the theater grinning. Have liked it more each time I've seen it since then.

The worst thing about it was the way the action scenes were shot and edited. They actually benefit from rewatching on DVD rather than on the big screen, where the shaking isn't so motion-sickness-inducing. They require more attention to follow the action than previous movies, in which you could just turn your brain off, sit back, and enjoy. I catch cool details I missed during the action each time. And, I've argued before, if the scenes had been shot more traditionally, action sequences like the fight while suspended from ropes in the cathedral would have ranked among the best in the series.

There are two amazing Bond girls. Olga Kurylenko is breathtakingly hot and plays the "Bond's equal" role better than most of Bond's love interests. Gemma Arterton surpasses her in just a tiny amount of screentime.

The Bond villains are frighteningly realistic. Rather than some over-the-top super maniachal genius (who are always fun. Don't get me wrong) he's a sleazy creep that you can really imagine being out there, and rather than a steel jaw or bladed bowling cap, his right hand man's distinguishing mark is a bad toupee.

Marc Forster gets as much tension out of dramatic scenes as most Bond directors have derived from action scenes. Take for example Bond's tense meeting with M at his hotel or his sharing a beer with Felix. And, lastly, Daniel Craig's Bond seems so much more like the 007 we all know and love in QoS than he did in CR.
  • Far from it.

It has flaws, yes. The editing is bad and choppy. Some of the action scenes isn't necessary. (Boat chase and airplane especially). The henchman is completely unforgettable, and he doesn't even get a fight with Bond.

It does however have a very enjoyable villain (I think everyone knows I think this), a fantastic Bond girl, some great action set pieces and actually a good story. I like the fact that the story is slightly modern, and I appreciate the fact that they don't want to use a common "villain wants to take over world" trope. Greene just wants to make money. That's it. And he does it in a clever way. Very rarely it feels like Bond actually gets an assignment a real spy might get, and this movie is one of those.
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    I rank every Roger Moore outing at the bottom, with Live And Let Die at the top of the heap. QoTS doesn't come close to being as bad as say, A View To A Kill.
  • DrNo wrote:
    I rank every Roger Moore outing at the bottom, with Live And Let Die at the top of the heap. QoTS doesn't come close to being as bad as say, A View To A Kill.

I'm not so critical as you are. Some of Moore's movies are close to the top of my list. Even though Brosnan is my least favorite Bond, two of his movies are in my top ten, maybe even in my top five!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DrNo wrote:

I'm not so critical as you are. Some of Moore's movies are close to the top of my list. Even though Brosnan is my least favorite Bond, two of his movies are in my top ten, maybe even in my top five!
    I am sure you wouldn't like TND too much if you weren't in it.
    :P
    Yes, it had a rushed feel, but the film gets to breathe in many places too. See the great Tosca sequence, for instance!
  • DrNo wrote:

I am sure you wouldn't like TND too much if you weren't in it.
    :P

That might be true... but even without me it still has some damn good action. Better than most stuff in Goldeneye actually. (Blasphemy!)
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Tosca is great. The opening sequence with the chase in the DBS- fantastic. And how they cut the horse race into the Mr. White interrogation. Love QOS. Except for the terrible theme song.
    its in my top 10 flaws and all. It has Bond at his most human and makes you like hum even more plus Craig knocks it out of the park with the greatest Bond performance imo. Plus an interesting spin on a Bond girl and a Villian thats scary cause its believeable a man like him could exist. Great action and great locations if this is Craigs weakest bond film then he be up there as the number 1 Bond.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 479
    Sammm04 wrote:
    It is the worst "BOND" film, but not the worst action film ever, I feel i speak for a lot of people when I say it just wasn't a BOND film.
    It was more Bondian (in character) than anything Moore did, especially at the end of his run and for some of the crap they wrote Bond doing in DAD.

I don't think you understand me enough, I've never read the novels, although I would love to, so the majority of film fans and normal cinema goers have never read the novels, so therefore the films are what Bond is and QOS just never makes any microscopical connection with any of the other films (except CR, but that's only in plot connection.), although I understand that to many fans Craig is more "Fleming" Bond than Moore, or Brosnan, but QOS is not the "Film Bond" most of the public is used to.

• edited January 2013 Posts: 202
    Was it even a Bond film?
    MrBrown wrote:
    Was it even a Bond film?

Yes a very good Bond film that showed a more human side to him not seen since OHMSS
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    I enjoyed it. It's the worst of Craig's run thus far, surely, but it's not near the bottom of the series, I don't think.
    It's a great Bond film - Fleming purists enjoy it if other Bond fans don't , as Connery might say "That was the old James Bond films, and you've had your 20".

Now let us Fleming Bond fans have our time, too!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    It's a great Bond film - Fleming purists enjoy it if other Bond fans don't , as Connery might say "That was the old James Bond films, and you've had your 20".

But not for 50 years..... PLEASE GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!! ten will do

Sammm04 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

To paraphrase Whitaker in TLD "You've had your 20, now have my 180"

"Sorry to say your film Bond is no match for the original Fleming", he would continue!

Dragonpol wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

To paraphrase Whitaker in TLD "You've had your 20, now have my 180"

"Sorry to say your film Bond is no match for the original Fleming", he would continue!

"Look after Mr Dragonpol... See some harm comes to him."
    This could become quite a battle of quotes, my friend. The question is, are you up to the challenge?

Simple as...

"Play it again, Sammm04"
    Plus it's "Look after Mr Bond, see that some hartm comes to him".
    "A Duel between titans... My Roger Moore versus your Ian Fleming."
    Sammm04 wrote:
    "A Duel between titans... My Roger Moore versus your Ian Fleming."

"There's a useful four-letter word and you're full of it."
    Plus, I'm a big Roger Moore and John Gardner fan too!
    Dragonpol wrote:

Please stop double posting and use the edit button, thank you.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Please stop double posting and use the edit button, thank you.

Sorry - I stand corrected!

• Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    edited January 2013 Posts: 642
    I can't disagree enough with the title of this thread.
    For those criticising the plot...BOND himself is the plot, its his film, its a revenge flic. As for editing - intense yes; it has to be, Bond has no luxury of sitting back and so, this time around, nor should we. You are quite simply in it with him.
    Ok so Craig himself has said he is not happy with certain elements but seriously? worst bond ever?..nonsense. An unpredictable, underrated film - beautifully shot and a real expose of Bonds frame of mind.

It all goes too fast say some - go with it and pay attention, say I.

A superb entry.

For the record; put DAF in the bin but leave me with the theme song. :-)