Mi6: Lost and Found

edited January 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 202
This is more for the veteran members of the site. I was wondering if any of you have been in contact with "lost" Mi6 members such as sisillius, Simon(TM), or Elektra Queen.

I know sisillius was MIA a while before Mi6 got a face lift. Definitely miss his insight. Great guy.

I'm not sure what happened to Simon. Maybe he's still posting here with a different handle? I don't know. He had a great sense of humor, although I don't think he cared much for anything I had to post. :))

I think Elektra Queen was on and off before the Mi6 face lift. Maybe some of you long-time mods still speak with her off the forum? Regardless, I hope all's going well for her.

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited January 2013 Posts: 7,978
    I was wondering the other day if Lalala (can't remember her full name) would return. I think she said she would after Skyfall's release, but I haven't seen her.
    It's a shame, we had so many quality members. Ironic that we had such a strong community, only to be disbanded by 'MI6 Community'.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    To quote Bond: It's the circle of life.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    And some here have pursued 'control' in other places...
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    The most of the old gang lives on an another site. I site which i'm not sure if i should mention due to some strong feelings from both sides i guess.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I miss @DaltonCraig007 dearly. Not much Roger Moore love being spread nowadays for me to joke with him about. :-<
  • MrBond wrote:
    The most of the old gang lives on an another site. I site which i'm not sure if i should mention due to some strong feelings from both sides i guess.

Is it the CBN site people go on about?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    MrBond wrote:

Is it the CBN site people go on about?
    I know many users that have had dual accounts both here and at CBn. Come to think of it, many of them don't come here anymore.
  • I didn't know what that site was until one day I went to MI6.co.uk and ended up there.

I wasn't on the forums at the time so I'm not sure if this has ever been revealed but, why was that? Why do they own that web adress now?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I didn't know what that site was until one day I went to MI6.co.uk and ended up there.

I wasn't on the forums at the time so I'm not sure if this has ever been revealed but, why was that? Why do they own that web adress now?

No it isn't CommanderBond.com

But i think that the main reason for so many of them left MI6 was beacuse of this forum is more of a community then a " classic forum " with a classic forum layout. And beacause of the sudden transition from the old KTBEU to this new forum. I think we got to know just a couple of hours before they actually shut down the old forum and started this. And take in a account that many of us had been at the old place for a long time, some from the very beggining for 11-12 years ago with a lots of saved material that just went up in the air. That caused a lot of stir and that made them create the other site which many ( including me ) joined.
    I personally like both sites, and i doesen't have any complaints on this place or the other site.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 23,561
    There were some behind the scenes quarrels which, contrary to popular belief, offered merely one escape for our beloved hosts: move away and set-up our own forum. The old forum was being hijacked by some untrustworthy individuals, which explains several of its temporary frozen periods, and for the benefit of the forum, and thus of us all, our hosts decided to leave the battlefield behind and start over for good.

Unfortunately these arguments, which any sane person can agree make perfect sense, were deliberately and forcefully countered by certain irritated members and ex-members who saw their big chance at doing the same thing, starting over somewhere else and luring as many of our active members over there as possible. By laying nonsensical claims that our hosts were treating us disrespectfully, showing no appreciation for our hard work on the old forums, they hoped to project sufficient contempt and scorn to where others, whom they secretly considered unable to think for themselves, would follow them. It's like saying that the captain of a sinking ship who decides to put us safely onto a new boat, has no respect for his passengers. Another point of discontent was the fact that old content had now vanished at once. As our hosts explained with passion, there was nothing they could do about that. To use my analogy, would you return for your favourite comic books to a room below deck on a sinking boat? Yet that's precisely what some folks said they wanted our hosts to do. They knew better than that; they simply wanted to add fuel to an already burning fire. But, to be sure, it didn't work all that well. Some of the members who left us are still being missed, but not that many members left us altogether. A few of them are happy moderators now somewhere else and we wish them luck. Either way, I value most those brave and loyal enough to stay with us. I'm really fond of this team of mods and this wonderful group of members.

Of course there is one particular detail which I, being honest, cannot omit: the new forum structure / layout. It did take some getting used to at first and I understand that for some people such a technical element can be, essentially, reason enough to abandon ship. I can even respect that, as it comes down to taste in the end and taste cannot be forced upon anyone. That said, after close to two years I think we can all agree that this forum doesn't look nearly as bad as some screamed at first and that some of its functions are a vast improvement over the older software. Said software is, by the way, rendering itself more and more obsolete by not willing to enter the future. Even forums are subject to basic Darwinian theory: you either evolve, or you make yourself extinct. Our hosts were in my opinion brave and smart by applying this new style. To be fair, several colleagues of mine, looking at this layout over my shoulder, have complimented our forum with it.

And so a small portion of our older friends did permanently leave us, some of whom I sincerely miss though it's perfectly clear where my loyalty lies. Some have come back, some - I dare say - even with intentions I'm not sure are pure. I mostly feel sorry for the fact that good former friends of mine left this place because they followed that poor line of 'reasoning' I explained in the second paragraph in this post. Now, since we've had this forum and a 'competing one' involving many of our - forgive me - refugees, I don't necessarily think that things have been so bad. We're not fighting wars or anything and it's actually a good thing that some folks who misbehave here and get banned, are given a fresh start some place else. Hopefully they can behave and function well there. I'm even willing to forgive that some person with a certain level of control over there at one point, for no reason at all, started calling some of us 'a [insert F-word here] idiot'. I guess it can be frustrating when things don't always work out as planned. But hey, we all have our merits.

We're doing very well. The level of activity we persistently reach makes us amongst the most active James Bond forums on the internet. So we've really recovered very fast from any scars the termination of the old forum may have left. Obviously one of MI6's major values is the homepage full of news and reliable updates. Our hosts labour hard to make sure we stay in constant awareness of what goes on in the world of Bond, often via direct contact with some of its most prominent sources, and rumour control makes sure we do not reduce the homepage to a collection of gossipy nonsense or self-engineered bits of news that hold no ground. Truthfully, the homepage gives us a pretty face, the forum a strong backbone.

Some say we actually got rid of power-hungry complainers, others say we've simply welcomed a new batch of valuable and respectable members since the facelift. Either way you want it, I have no grudges myself and I keep a positive look on the future of this forum. I'm not in this to compete with other forums; I merely want my daily fix of Bond because I'm a James Bond addict. So sue me. ;-)
    Wise words, @Dimi. MI6 has become a home away from home, and I will stay loyal to the community even if it all crumbles at my feet.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 7,571
    Nicely put Dimi.

This is very much a Bond Community now. Our old forum was vibrant, but it had lost its way. There was as much discussion on Star Trek as there was Bond, and it was feeling a little bit cliquey. 'Gangs' had evolved and you were 'in' or you were out.

Now we have a group of contributers that include old faces and new, young members and old fogeys. I think we have been accused of having a bunch of kids running riot, but you only have to read Sir Henrey's 'originals' thread to realise that the age range is very wide.

And for the record the quality of writing on this forum is every bit as good as it was on the old forum. I have been impressed by the quality of the arguments, and the literate postings.

In defence of the ex members who were upset by the change, they did lose a lot of stuff they were rightly proud of. I also lost a lot, but there was nothing the top brass could do about it, as Dimi says. It was a difficult time to be sure. I appreciate why they were upset, but I was also disappointed by the attitude of one or two of them who I thought better of.
    Wise words, @Dimi. MI6 has become a home away from home, and I will stay loyal to the community even if it all crumbles at my feet.
    Appreciate that sentiment 0Brady..... (couldn't you have chosen a simpler name ;-) )

And in answer to @MrBrown's query, all three of those members left long before the old forum folded. EQ was gone by about 2005,
    NicNac wrote:
    And in answer to @MrBrown's query, all three of those members left long before the old forum folded. EQ was gone by about 2005,

I think Simon was hardly an active poster anymore even several years before the birth of our community.
  • Wise words, @Dimi. MI6 has become a home away from home, and I will stay loyal to the community even if it all crumbles at my feet.

I will agree with this. I've not been a member for too long, but I've been active enough, and I've felt extremely warmly welcomed by everyone. Sure, every place has its bad eggs, but I feel like most people are warm, kind souls on the site. So yeah, I'll be staying until the end of time, and might someday join the pantheon of memorable members!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    While I wasn't around for the old forum, I commend everyone responsible for bringing this forum into a respectable, enjoyable place that I can escape to to discuss one of my greatest hobbies in life: James Bond. Thank you to the mods for keeping this place clean, and thank you to all of the users who contribute to the conversations in a mature manner and keep things entertaining around here. I really appreciate you guys and gals.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 23,561

I will agree with this. I've not been a member for too long, but I've been active enough, and I've felt extremely warmly welcomed by everyone. Sure, every place has its bad eggs, but I feel like most people are warm, kind souls on the site. So yeah, I'll be staying until the end of time, and might someday join the pantheon of memorable members!

We actually used to have a member who called himself ElliotCarver about six or seven years ago if memory serves me well. His only MO was to quote from TND so the moderators back then let him go. Nice fellar though. ;-) Hope you'll be a stayer, @ElliotCarver. :-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    We actually used to have a member who called himself ElliotCarver about six or seven years ago if memory serves me well.

I certainly don't forget him, made hell for the mods but was entertaining to see what hi-jinx he caused. I remember him littering the boards with the most ridiculous images.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 249
    DarthDimi wrote:

We actually used to have a member who called himself ElliotCarver about six or seven years ago if memory serves me well. His only MO was to quote from TND so the moderators back then let him go. Nice fellar though. ;-) Hope you'll be a stayer, @ElliotCarver. :-)

Well, that's certainly not me, just to rest your fears a bit. I do eventually like a bit of roleplay, but I certainly won't that get a hold of me. I'm still me!

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    One of the real " stars " from the old forum was a bloke called " JAMES BOND " or something similar. And around the time of the announcment of Daniel Craig as Bond he posted pictures of himself to convince everyone that he was more fitting as Bond then Craig. The problem was that on some pictures he was half bold etc.. He gave me a couple of good laughs back in those times :))
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    It's surprising to see this subject so willingly dragged back up again. I'd reckon it would still be quite sore for some.

Even I still wonder today, just what happened to our supposed valued members. They went crazy - just take a look back at the very first threads from March 2011, go on, do. It's unbelieve some of the things that were said in the heat of the moment and for that reason, I don't miss a single one of them.

I'm sorry but truely that's how I feel.
    Spoken like a true MI6 cultist, @Samuel001! ;-) We really need to get that MI6 tattoo together. ;-)
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I just hope I haven't scared @MrBrown away. ;) Unlike others who have come back and left again for no apparent reason, he seemed to a keeper and was staying with us. He without doubt adds to the forum's list of great members being around.

As always, I live in hope.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    And some here have pursued 'control' in other places...
    That's cute, Dimi.

I didn't start this is as a "remember all of those people on that other site?" type of thread, just for the record. This is for the members who we're no longer in contact with, and not people who choose to post on other websites.

I recall Simon not being active before the old site folded. I was sure he'd find his way over here, though. I also knew that Elektra Queen only posted once every year or two, before Mi6 Community was launched. No one's been in touch with her since? And last I heard from sisillius was in a few private messages. Really kind and intelligent guy. A Flemingphile, too. Hopefully he'll return at some point.

@CommanderRoss I'm not sure what happened to LaLa, either. She might just be dealing with life, in general. I imagine she'll post again in the near future. It's also good seeing that you're still around, Commander Ross.

It'd also be nice if YouOnlyLiveThrice returned. He was quite a character.

Oh, and bond_fan, of course. :)
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    During the two year life MI6 has had so far, the ones I miss that have gone off the grid are:

@DaltonCraig007
    @danslittlefinger
    @AgentFae
    @Crab_Of_Doom
    @007RogerMoore
    @saunders

Just some I think of every now and then. :-<
    @barry007 is a great pal. I wish he'd be around more often.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @barry007 is a great pal. I wish he'd be around more often.

Apparently he was active this last December. All the names I posted are members who have been without a trace for 5 month or more. I wonder about some, and hope all is okay with them.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I know @007RogerMoore personally and he has states that he is tired of this site and will probably not return.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited January 2013 Posts: 2,721
    During the two year life MI6 has had so far, the ones I miss that have gone off the grid are:

@DaltonCraig007
    @danslittlefinger
    @AgentFae
    @Crab_Of_Doom
    @007RogerMoore
    @saunders

Just some I think of every now and then. :-<

I've only been on this forum two months and I've seen posts from Saunders and DaltonCraig007 so they must be pretty recent departures?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It's surprising to see this subject so willingly dragged back up again. I'd reckon it would still be quite sore for some.

Even I still wonder today, just what happened to our supposed valued members. They went crazy - just take a look back at the very first threads from March 2011, go on, do. It's unbelieve some of the things that were said in the heat of the moment and for that reason, I don't miss a single one of them.

I'm sorry but truely that's how I feel.
    I took your advice and had a read through the early posts. The amount of raw emotion is matched only by the sense of entitlement. Looks like it livened things up at the very least.

Mod edit: double post merged into one.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I miss @DaltonCraig007. He and I had some damn good arguments that I really miss.