T2 turns 20

edited July 2011 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,640

Groundbreaking sfx for its time.....Arnold got 20 mill $ for this , not too shabby Id say.

Comments

• edited July 2011 Posts: 161
    One of my childhood favorites, but T1 ist better. Also no annoying kid in the mix.
    Anyone who enjoyed the first Terminator films, should check out the series. Surprisingly good, shame it was cancelled.
    this is really good movie it is really good.i think this made arnold HUGE star
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    20 years old. Wow! :O

T2 is a virtually perfect film in my mind. James Cameron's masterpiece! It looks great and has a brilliant story mixed with superb action sequences.

As for T1 being better, its certainly a great movie no doubt about that but T2 seems like the more polished, meatier film of the two.

It's a shame they undermined T2 in subsequent sequels.
    T2 is one of the important movies that like the SW series gave the special effects a real boost forward (something that is done in every James Cameron movie it seems). And it also contained the iconic figure of the Terminator that was created in the first movie but got its status as iconic figure mainly due to this magnificent actionmovie that goes totaly over the top........But makes it look GOOD!
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited July 2011 Posts: 823
    I remember watching this at the Houston Spectrum 9 theater where I was the General Manager.

http://www.cinemahouston.info/multicinema.shtml

It showed in THX CDS (Cinema Digital Sound) 70MM and it was amazing!!

The Spectrum 9 was the top of the line, state of the art movie theater in Houston then.

Cinemark and AMC and all those other multiplex companies didn't have the 16 and 20 and 24 and 30 screen then.

We had 9 screens, 6 of them were THX, we were the first to get Dolby Digital when Batman Returns opened.

Then when Jurassic Park was released, we were one of only 3 theaters in Houston to show Jurassic Park in DTS.

The theater had a main lobby, a downstairs floor with 4 screens and an upstairs floor with 5 screen.

Concession stands upstairs and downstairs, marble floor throughout, escalators and elevators.

A 5 levels parking garage next to the main parking lot and every Friday and Saturday and Sunday night, we were all sold out.

I remember counting a couple $100k every weekend by hand and going to the bank's night drop easily 4-5 times per night, with 2 Houston Police Officers as personal bodyguards.

Unfortunately, the place lost its charm when the 24 and 30 screens stadium seating theaters started appearing and it then closed in the late 90s where it sat vacant for a few years until it was demolished in 2001 and turned into an expensive condominium complex.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I didn't know you worked in a theater, j7wild !! We have something in common !!
  • I miss the old "giant" theatres where the next big film opening was an event...four person-wide lineups down the block! Now the same film shows every half hour in four smaller theatres in a multiplex - better for the audience as it gives you more choice, but as I said the feeling of it being a big event is lost.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I didn't know you worked in a theater, j7wild !! We have something in common !!
    my first job out of High School in 1983 was working at the Windchimes 8 movie theater in Houston.

It was less than 1 year old, had 8 screens and it was state of the art.

I started as an concessionaire, worked myself up to usher, chief usher, chief of staff and then assistant manager by 1985,

I left in 1985 to go to the Houston Police Academy and I became a Houston Police Officer, that lasted 4 years.

Then when I left the PD in 1989, I was selling real estate and when the market dried up in 1991, I got hired as General Manager at the Spectrum 9 theater.

I left that in 1993 to open my own video store and I been doing that ever since; it started as a small Mom and Pop's video store renting adult movies;

now it's 4 superstores selling and renting regular movies and adult movies and home electronics and home theater systems and laptops and anything else you can think of, we just don't sell home appliances (stoves, oven, refrigerators, dishwashers, washer and dryers, etc)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Good film, is it really that old? Still prefer the original though.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 303
    Haha, this is a huuuge coinsodence,
    - I just watched this film just last night, on ultimate/special edition dvd, for the first time in 3 years without having a clue that it was it's 20th anniversary just a few hours later :D

Seriously a Brilliant and outstanding film, best in the franchise, along with the origional and salvation (Yes i loved that too), going to watch no. 3 today :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I absolutely love T2. I was the right age when it came out (nine) and I enjoyed it from start to finish. That feeling never left me afterwards. I thoroughly enjoy T1 as a horror fan but I adore T2 as a fan of simply great material. For me, its special effects remain some of the most effective and believable today. Cameron more or less disappointed me after that film. I didn't like True Lies all that much and I'm not so positive about Titanic and Avatar. But T2 is one my favourite Cameron films, along with T1 and Aliens.
  • the film they wanted to make sounded better - Arnie still the baddie and Billy Idol as the good terminator.

Now that film would have been special.

the film they wanted to make sounded better - Arnie still the baddie and Billy Idol as the good terminator.

Now that film would have been special.

No it wouldn't and you know it.

The T2 we have now is a classic and the other idea is just flesh for a fantasy. ;-)