Good Indiana Jones novels?

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited December 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 17,698
Currently reading Indiana Jones And The Army Of The Dead, and apart from some rather forced film references, I'm liking it a lot.
Anyone got another good one to suggest?

Comments

  • Posts: 12,506
    How many novels are their?
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 816
    I believe I've read 'Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants' years ago, and loved it! I had just borrowed a 'Toto' Best-of CD and was listening to it while reading the book, the music and novel went so well together it felt like magic ;)

    EDIT: On second thought, it might have been 'Indiana Jones and the White Witch' but I'm really not sure.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,698
    RogueAgent wrote:
    How many novels are their?

    13, as far as I can tell:
    Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi (Feb 1991) – by Rob Macgregor
    Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants (June 1991) – by Rob Macgregor
    Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils (Dec 1991) – by Rob Macgregor
    Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge (Feb 1992) – by Rob Macgregor
    Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy (Sept 1992) – by Rob Macgregor
    Indiana Jones and the Interior World (1992) – by Rob Macgregor
    Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates (Dec 1993) – by Martin Caidin
    Indiana Jones and the White Witch (1994) – by Martin Caidin
    Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone (1995) – by Max McCoy
    Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs (1996) – by Max McCoy
    Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth (1997) – by Max McCoy
    Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx (1999) – by Max McCoy
    Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead (2009) – by Steve Perry
    I just ordered the four by Max McCoy, and I have Sky Pirates around here somewhere, unread.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,854
    I found a novelization of Kingdom of the Plastic (aka Crystal) Skull at my local bookstore this afternoon. I would have bought it if I weren't so busy buying Star Wars books.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,698
    Oh yeah, there ARE the movie novelizations as well, I didn't list them because....
    I didn't.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,854
    I know of a Young Indiana Jones novel called The Mata Hari Affair, by James Luceno.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,698
    I also was not concerned with 'boy' Indy novels or gimmick adventure books.
    But we can discuss them here as well if you like.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,854
    chrisisall wrote:
    I also was not concerned with 'boy' Indy novels or gimmick adventure books.
    But we can discuss them here as well if you like.

    I'm just listing Indy books I know, that's all. I've never actually read any Indy books.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,698
    I've never actually read any Indy books.

    "Army of the Dead" is fun so far- just sayin'.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,854
    Much as I like Indiana Jones (hilariously, he's named after a dog who's named after the state I live in), nothing other than the films have really interested me. I checked out an omnibus of Indy comics from my library a few years ago, and it bored the crap out of me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,698
    Well written novels are better than crappy comics IMO.
  • Posts: 12,506
    chrisisall wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    How many novels are their?

    13, as far as I can tell:
    Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi (Feb 1991) – by Rob Macgregor
    Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants (June 1991) – by Rob Macgregor
    Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils (Dec 1991) – by Rob Macgregor
    Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge (Feb 1992) – by Rob Macgregor
    Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy (Sept 1992) – by Rob Macgregor
    Indiana Jones and the Interior World (1992) – by Rob Macgregor
    Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates (Dec 1993) – by Martin Caidin
    Indiana Jones and the White Witch (1994) – by Martin Caidin
    Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone (1995) – by Max McCoy
    Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs (1996) – by Max McCoy
    Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth (1997) – by Max McCoy
    Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx (1999) – by Max McCoy
    Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead (2009) – by Steve Perry
    I just ordered the four by Max McCoy, and I have Sky Pirates around here somewhere, unread.

    Wow? I never ralised there were so many to be honest? Having not read any, would any of them be viable for a 5th movie?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,698
    Don't know, I'm on my first book now, but none of 'em take place after Crystal Skull- most of them are before Temple of Doom.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,854
    chrisisall wrote:
    Don't know, I'm on my first book now, but none of 'em take place after Crystal Skull- most of them are before Temple of Doom.

    That doesn't mean they can't be adapted. It probably wouldn't be difficult to adjust their stories to set them after Plastic Skull.
  • I always thought the Max McCoy ones are the best. Closest in tone to the films, they also have an ongoing plot thread involving a curse and appearances from Rene Belloq (they are prequels to Raiders).

    Hollow Earth was the first I ever read so I still have a soft spot for it. But read them in publication order.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,698
    I always thought the Max McCoy ones are the best. Closest in tone to the films, they also have an ongoing plot thread involving a curse and appearances from Rene Belloq (they are prequels to Raiders).
    Thanks! Now I'm happier than ever that I ordered them!
    B-)
  • chrisisall wrote:
    I always thought the Max McCoy ones are the best. Closest in tone to the films, they also have an ongoing plot thread involving a curse and appearances from Rene Belloq (they are prequels to Raiders).
    Thanks! Now I'm happier than ever that I ordered them!
    B-)

    No problem. They're solid little novels, the McCoy ones.

    The Caiden ones, including Sky Pirates, are fairly rough. The Rob Macgregor ones are hit and miss but don't match the pacing of the films. I think I liked Genesis Deluge.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2012 Posts: 17,698
    They're solid little novels, the McCoy ones.
    And that's all I require from an Indy story. Like the one I'm reading now (Army Of The Dead), just a bit of well constructed fun.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 555
    chrisisall wrote:
    They're solid little novels, the McCoy ones.
    And that's all I require from an Indy story. Like the one I'm reading now (Army Of The Dead), just a bit of well constructed fun.

    If you're enjoying Army of the Dead, I'd venture you'll love the McCoy novels. Army of the Dead was a bit of a snoozer, but at least it wasn't long winded like the Caiden ones.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,698
    Again, good news- thanks!
Sign In or Register to comment.