"Why I Hate James Bond"

edited November 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 110
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/james-bond-hate-14306026#ixzz2B85lCNqn

These aren't my thoughts or feelings, obviously. But I was interested to see what everyone's reactions to this column were.

Personally, I feel it's just a ploy to get page hits, given the fact that Esquire is also devoting lots of resources to praising the series. This article is so contrarian, it almost feels manufactured just for that purpose.

Comments

edited November 2012 Posts: 581
    Stephen Marche (authour of the article)...

Throw yourself out of an airlock like Drax in Moonraker
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    "But James Bond is what sophistication looks like to people who don't have any."

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/james-bond-hate-14306026#ixzz2BA2iljCF

This sentence is what clever seems like to people who aren't. ;)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    30vn502.jpg
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    @:-(

Even Marge Simpson isn't happy.
    why hasn't this thread been closed yet? Pointless
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    'the only reason people go to see Bond movies is because they have already seen Bond movies'.

Huh? What about all the people who go for the first time? Or have I missed the point?
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 4,813
    To hell with that guy. He probably likes Twilight
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Personally, I feel it's just a ploy to get page hits, given the fact that Esquire is also devoting lots of resources to praising the series. This article is so contrarian, it almost feels manufactured just for that purpose.
    This is it, I believe.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    LeChiffre wrote:

Because, people are pointless, Le Chiffre (please be the Peter Lorre one from the 1954 adaption).
    Why even bother to post the article?
    LeChiffre wrote:

Pointless is a great current British gameshow, it deserves a thread of his own. :D

Why the article that is mentioned in the opening of this thread deserves any attention at all on a Pro Bond site I frankly do not understand.

• What a muppet!!!
    What a muppet!!!

A bit harsh on all muppets, comparing this person to one of them!

• LeChiffre wrote:
    What a muppet!!!

A bit harsh on all muppets, comparing this person to one of them!

Fair point. I apologise to all muppets, you are way more fit for purpose!
    True, even Sir Roger Moore liked the Muppets.
  • Somebody close this damn thread already! It's pointless!
  • If the author had managed to make any intelligent points then I'd say that there was a discussion to be had. But I agree that it's a cynically constructed article simply to generate outrage which leads to page views. Best ignored - however, it worked. Else we wouldn't be discussing it...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    SaintMark wrote:
    Why the article that is mentioned in the opening of this thread deserves any attention at all on a Pro Bond site I frankly do not understand.

Spoken like a true fundamentalist.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Ask people who dislike it and let us know why with a later post ! ;)
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Everyone has the chance to share their opinions about everything. Why that guy can't tell he doesn't likes James Bond? We can't force everyone to like it.
    SaintMark wrote:

Spoken like a true fundamentalist.

Bollocks brother, I just question the attention given to it not the right to exist. I think you should return to your dictionary and find out what the word means.

O:-)
  • To be philosophical, I hate James Bond only because by comparison most other lives seem dull".

One must sometimes embrace the mundane in order to appreciate the interesting.

This was not a very good article. I'm not reacting blindly to the article. I thought he would present some viable flaws in the Bond movie franchise. The only thing I shared was his distaste of the Bond/Pussy Galore barn scene in "GOLDFINGER".
  • I hate the bond movies I feel the action is short lived or is just to much for me to handle I might not believe anything in transporter movies but atleast their is a story line with a guy that looks like he can kick the shit out of people yea I know it's very "out their" to but it's also taste in movies to me though I seen the sky fall movie and seeing bond get out of the water dry in the winter was one of many examples they could have atleast changed but this is my opinion sorry about my grammar typing on an iPod but had to post a comment
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I hate the bond movies I feel the action is short lived or is just to much for me to handle I might not believe anything in transporter movies but atleast their is a story line with a guy that looks like he can kick the shit out of people yea I know it's very "out their" to but it's also taste in movies to me though I seen the sky fall movie and seeing bond get out of the water dry in the winter was one of many examples they could have atleast changed but this is my opinion sorry about my grammar typing on an iPod but had to post a comment

Why are you on this site if you hate Bond? And Bond was wet after he came out of the water in the climax of Skyfall, that is a fact. Did you even see it or the other films before it?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I hate the bond movies

No offence, but to quote Bond in AVTAK "Well you came to the wrong place didn't you?"
    All members are welcome of course, but I fail to see what you hope to gain by joining a James Bond fan forum, when you open with I hate Bond movies?

Seems pointless.

• I hate the bond movies I feel the action is short lived or is just to much for me to handle I might not believe anything in transporter movies but atleast their is a story line with a guy that looks like he can kick the shit out of people yea I know it's very "out their" to but it's also taste in movies to me though I seen the sky fall movie and seeing bond get out of the water dry in the winter was one of many examples they could have atleast changed but this is my opinion sorry about my grammar typing on an iPod but had to post a comment

If you're comparing favourably the Transporter movies over Bond then you're not doing yourself many favours. If you 'hate' the Bond movies then I would suggest not to watch them or attempt to discuss them and get on with your life enjoying what you actually appreciate.
    I think this guy got it wrong about pretty much everything, the Bond girls especially if he thinks they are cyphers. The worst ones yes, but the classic ones? Honey Ryder a cypher? Vesper? I mean, seriously? And people who read me on different forums know that I do not consider the scene in the hay between Bond and Pussy Galore a rape. Forceful at times? Yes. Chauvinistic? Yes. But in the end she consents, and NOT out of fear of punishment (if there is any doubt about her consent, her subsequent actions prove it).
    I hate the bond movies I feel the action is short lived or is just to much for me to handle I might not believe anything in transporter movies but atleast their is a story line with a guy that looks like he can kick the shit out of people yea I know it's very "out their" to but it's also taste in movies to me though I seen the sky fall movie and seeing bond get out of the water dry in the winter was one of many examples they could have atleast changed but this is my opinion sorry about my grammar typing on an iPod but had to post a comment

Welcome on a James Bond site with an opinion that is very different. I am however curious if you will follow up this critism with some more insightfull posts.

• edited March 2013 Posts: 1,370
    Whatever happened to IFM..?