If you had to swap one Bond for another for a different Bond film. Who would it be?

13»

Comments

• edited December 2012 Posts: 11,189
    acoppola wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    George in DAF and LALD would have been cool...

But then you would have one less Connery film? :)

DAF was an unfortunate Connery film so I wouldn't mind missing it.

This is amazing. But I love him in DAF. He was so funny and still super cool. This is just me.

He was great but the film was just too camp to be taken seriously. It's his Moonraker...

While DAF is camp I don't think its as childish as Moonraker. The humour in the former is more smutty aswell ("I'm afraid you caught me with more than my hands up").

That said there's more that stands out for me in MR (the centrefuge sequence, Corine's death, the "Flight into Space" soundtrack) so part of me prefers it.
  • acoppola wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

This is amazing. But I love him in DAF. He was so funny and still super cool. This is just me.

He was great but the film was just too camp to be taken seriously. It's his Moonraker...

It was camp. I give Guy Hamilton credit that he was to me the best Bond director in doing the campier stuff. But DAF is a great comedy and I can forgive it because it knows you are laughing all the way.

I disliked the campness in TSWLM as well as Moonraker.

See I don't want to be laughing through a whole Bond film. Comedic elements here and there are fun in a Bond film, but when the entire thin is a joke I feel let down. It's odd, I don't like MR but I do like TSWLM for the campier elements...
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,243
    BAIN123 wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

While DAF is camp I don't think its as childish as Moonraker. The humour in the former is more smutty aswell ("I'm afraid you caught me with more than my hands up").

Sure the humour was smutty. But it was actually funny to an adult whilst a child could watch it and not notice. I also think the pantomine villains in DAF are funny too. Wint and Kidd really push it, but are actually interesting.

You are right. Moonraker was more childish in parts whilst earlier Bonds were for adults.

Oh and when he says ("I'm afraid you caught me with more than my hands up"). That is so sophisticated, classy and totally filthy at the same time.

This is why I hated the DAD humour which was too obvious. It lacked true wit and the delivery was poor. Old Bond was damn funny without you getting offended by crassness.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 11,189
    acoppola wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

It was camp. I give Guy Hamilton credit that he was to me the best Bond director in doing the campier stuff. But DAF is a great comedy and I can forgive it because it knows you are laughing all the way.

See I don't want to be laughing through a whole Bond film. Comedic elements here and there are fun in a Bond film, but when the entire thin is a joke I feel let down. It's odd, I don't like MR but I do like TSWLM for the campier elements...

I admit the last time I watched MR I was cringing in some parts.

DAF (for me) just feels a bit boring and sluggish, When they leave Las Vegas and go into the desert the film just sort of...drags a bit in my view. There's little in the way of actual tension.

I also think its a bit too "relaxed" for its own good if that makes sense.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

DAF (for me) just feels a bit boring and sluggish, When they leave Las Vegas and go into the desert the film just sort of...drags a bit in my view. There's little in the way of actual tension.

I agree, it is a bit relaxed and such and I think that's because Sean was in it. They fit the film to Sean, and I feel that if that had stuck with George and the seriousness that they got out of OHMSS, then DAF could have been great.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

DAF as a film slows down after Vegas. But is has this outstanding charm. And the one liners were so good.

But I will not pretend that it is a serious take on Bond and for those fans who loved the style of FRWL were sorely disappointed.Me, I like Dalton serious but like the opposite too but more with Connery doing it.

• I remembr seeing The Quest sometime back and thinking for a moment, that Roger Moore, at time of release (1996) was maybe still good enough to be playing James Bond ?!

And I was totally devoid of any illegal substances also. I don't know what made me think that, apart from the fact, he did actually look quite fresh and ready in that, if you've ever seen it

Can't look beyond also, that DAF hits a dead end once we reach Nevada

Up to then, it's not that bad a watch, I can't quite believe myself saying
    I remembr seeing The Quest sometime back and thinking for a moment, that Roger Moore, at time of release (1996) was maybe still good enough to be playing James Bond ?!

And I was totally devoid of any illegal substances also. I don't know what made me think that, apart from the fact, he did actually look quite fresh and ready in that, if you've ever seen it

Can't look beyond also, that DAF hits a dead end once we reach Nevada

Up to then, it's not that bad a watch, I can't quite believe myself saying

It sure is a fine watch. And the music by John Barry is sumptuous. Like the desert scene in the early scene when the helicopter arrives to meet the doctor but Wint and Kidd have killed him.

I think Connery is better in DAF than Moore in LALD . He has the humour but the toughness. I love LALD, but is more for the campness of the villains and humour. Moore is really good but Kananga has the best line "Names is for tombstones baby!".

I would love to see a young Dalton in LALD. I always picture him because he has the horror look and would fit image wise with the Voodoo theme. He is a Bond that has a classic horror image down perfectly. Byronic as they say.

• PlykshowPlykshow Kent, United Kingdom
    I think Sean Connery should have done OHMSS. Before you start throwing the tomatoes, let me explain. Sean Connery's interpretation of Bond is very playboy-esq. Lazenby hadn't really been defined as Bond so it wasn't hard to accept his romantic side in the film. However, everybody had grown up with Connery being a playboy kind of Bond, but then to suddenly meet Tracy and really fall in love, I think it would have been interesting to see the audiences reaction when they accept that Bond (Connery) has actually found the love of his life, just like us. It proves that there is someone out there for everyone.

What do you guys think. Plus, I would like to have seen what Timothy Dalton's third film would have looked like (going by the info in MI6-HQ)
    Plykshow wrote:
    I think Sean Connery should have done OHMSS. Before you start throwing the tomatoes, let me explain. Sean Connery's interpretation of Bond is very playboy-esq. Lazenby hadn't really been defined as Bond so it wasn't hard to accept his romantic side in the film. However, everybody had grown up with Connery being a playboy kind of Bond, but then to suddenly meet Tracy and really fall in love, I think it would have been interesting to see the audiences reaction when they accept that Bond (Connery) has actually found the love of his life, just like us. It proves that there is someone out there for everyone.

What do you guys think. Plus, I would like to have seen what Timothy Dalton's third film would have looked like (going by the info in MI6-HQ)

I think it is a shame that Connery did not do OHMSS. Purely from the standpoint that he is clearly a far superior actor to Lazenby. And the material in OHMSS would have given him plenty to work with.

OHMSS was supposed to be filmed after Goldfinger which solidifies your argument. It was only because of McClory that they went for Thunderball instead.

If Dalton had done a third, I would be way happier with the franchise as a whole.

Pierce Brosnan in The Living Daylights and Timothy Dalton in Die Another Day but without any CGI... :D All the others fit their own films perfectly, especially DC (except QoS)
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Here is a list of "best actor to suit best the mission, swap wanted"...

Dr. No and FRWL : NO SWAP.

Goldfinger : Pierce Brosnan of 1990's, (if I had to swap as second choice. But It's Sean best so I wouldn't.)

Thunderball : Timothy Dalton, as second choice.

YOLT : George Lazenby true swap

OHMSS : NO SWAP

DAF : as explained above, better Moore but logically Lazenby. true swap, even if I liked Connery in.

LALD : Lazenby would be my second choice. Second because Moore did well.

TMWTGG : No SWAP.

TSWLM : Pierce Brosnan, second.

Moonraker : NO SWAP

FYEO : a thread already exist and there's my thought ; Dalton is the best choice but Moore did at best.

Octopussy : NO SWAP.

AVTAK : old thread as well. But there Dalton should have starred in. true swap

TLD : Pierce Brosnan as a second choice.

LTK : NO SWAP

GoldenEye : Sean Connery ; Timothy Dalton 2nd choices maybe.

TND : NO SWAP.

TWINE : Timothy Dalton, second.

DAD : ?? Finally Brosnan did well overall. Probably Roger Moore.

CR : Sean Connery in a very first film ; Timothy Dalton or Pierce Brosnan in a begin 90's film. true swap

QoS : Tim Dalton, second choice.

Skyfall : Pierce Brosnan. If he was younger.

I hope it's understandable enough in your minds, fellow agents.