Can Roger Spottiswoode have been a better directer for Skyfall ??

2»

Comments

Getafix wrote:
    Here's the big reason Spottiswoode could never have directed a better Skyfall:
    Skyfall is based around M, and the (final) journey she takes with 007. Now, on the set of TND (and even the behind-the-scenes book is pretty honest about this) Spottiswoode and Dench could just not get along.
    So how would he have directed a movie whose main drive is someone he can't get along with? I think Dench would even have declined to do it, if they brought Spottiswoode back!

Also, here's the reason Spottiswoode won't come back for another film (even though I also think he did a good job with TND), he couldn't get along with Babs either!

I like Spottiswoode more and more!

In Dench's autobiography she claims that during a confrontation between Spottiswode and Babs, Spottiswode said (something along the lines of) "Your car could have run me over"

Babs response:

"Its a pity it didn't accelerate"

Its probably for the best Spottiswode didn't return.

• As I didn't like Tomorrow Never Dies, the overall answer would have to be No, but Spottiswoode only did the one directing job, so as a standalone effort, it was a poor job, but if he had been given another go, who knows how it may have turned out. Mendes did a good enough job though, and with that, see no reason why anyone else should of had it. I would still like to see Campbell return for Bond 24 though
  • bond50bond50 Banned
    A Spottiswoode return ? oh my , They might as well get Tamahori back dressed in drag to be the next Bond girl also then. This series is surely heading for doom if that happens.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,492
    There are a few well directed action scenes in TND. Buit ye gods, the actors..

Pierce is his most cartoonlike, Wai Lin is pure cardboard, Paris is as flat as a pancake and Jonathan Pryce perhaps the most hamlike performance in the entire series. Terrible.

And was it his idea to have the Rambo like battle at the climax. Truly, the directors were the achilles heel of the Brosnan era.
  • The battle at the end was nothing like Rambo.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited December 2012 Posts: 3,497
    Please no.

With Skyfall, we have everything we need in a Bondfilm.

When will some people be finally satisfied? Spottiswoode hasn't got the same feel, I think he already proved that.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    No, Spottiswoode could not have made SF. It's clear that this film is very character driven, to such an extent that a man with Mendes' sensibilities for this kind of material is best suited for the job.

Also, I hope this will not kick-start another trend: could director X have been better for film Y? I dread the prospect of having to link them all into one single thread. ;-)
    Here's the big reason Spottiswoode could never have directed a better Skyfall:
    Skyfall is based around M, and the (final) journey she takes with 007. Now, on the set of TND (and even the behind-the-scenes book is pretty honest about this) Spottiswoode and Dench could just not get along.
    So how would he have directed a movie whose main drive is someone he can't get along with? I think Dench would even have declined to do it, if they brought Spottiswoode back!

Also, here's the reason Spottiswoode won't come back for another film (even though I also think he did a good job with TND), he couldn't get along with Babs either!

grate point you made here the only thing i would add to this is TND is a action roller coaster that kind of film does not really fit the new bond era

I did enjoy TND but i don't think that E.on are going to go back to that style of bond anyway plus as already pointed out hes not popular with babs