Nurse caught up in Royal prank call is found dead

NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
edited December 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 7,570
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20645838

Is this yet another reflection of how social networking is running out of control (following the Lord McAlpine fiasco)? Although the prank was radio based, the pressure this nurse found herself under was probably driven by the power of twitter and other social networking.

Would this have concluded differently if the world was not interconnected to such a degree?

Comments

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    Very, very sad. But it makes no sense why she would kill herself when she just took the phone call.

I think something is going on. She had 2 children and from what I understand, it takes more than that to top oneself.
    I am completely stunned by this? What on earth is going on in the world for something like this to have happened? Also curious about what radio station show down under think about it too?
    acoppola wrote:
    Very, very sad. But it makes no sense why she would kill herself when she just took the phone call.

I think something is going on. She had 2 children and from what I understand, it takes more than that to top oneself.

I think she was subject to some admonishment by her superiors, and probably threats of disciplinary action. After all, what she did, with the best of intentions, was a breach of confidence.

Anyway, there should be consequences for those two pranksters. I bet they're feeling quite low right now.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    Gerard wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

I think she was subject to some admonishment by her superiors, and probably threats of disciplinary action. After all, what she did, with the best of intentions, was a breach of confidence.

Anyway, there should be consequences for those two pranksters. I bet they're feeling quite low right now.

Aparently she was not disciplined according to the media because it was an innocent mistake. But we have to ask why a mother of two children would kill herself over this?

And suicide before even a coroner's report. Something stinks to me anyway.

I do agree those pranksters were irresponsible and it came at a huge price no doubt.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The two DJ's who were involved in the prank have suspended themselves for an undisclosed amount of time. It really is peculiar that someone would commit suicide over an event like this, but you never know what someone's breaking point is until you cross it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    T but you never know what someone's breaking point is until you cross it.

This is true. They caught her on a 5.30am shift when she was at her most vulnerable. Also with the high media profile of the two royals the nurse must have thought the consequences would be terrible.

Those two idiots should come over here and apologise the family she left behind.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Can a Brit explain this to a Yank? Articles I find myself reading do a wonderful job of not telling me actually what happened.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think they have both gone into hiding. Certainly they have closed their twitter accounts and suspended themselves from DJ duty.
  • But then one has to wonder whether or not she would have received that much scrutiny for her employers had it not been the royal family....

I'm not too big a fan of them, so sorry if my bias comes through a bit too much.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited December 2012 Posts: 2,635
    The family should get them in the justice for moral damage to the Nurse. If possible, of course.
    These 2 presenters join the growing list of pathetic and small-minded people on the radio like Jonathon Ross, Russell Brand. A sad reflection on modern society unfortunately.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I agree with @accopola. It's sad and I feel sorry for her kids, but I'm not sure why she would kill herself over that, especially if she was leaving a family behind. Something else must've been going on too.

I don't think the DJs should be punished. Yeah it was irresponsible but I'm sure they feel guilty enough as it is and they can't have expected anything like this to have happened, I think people should give them a break. I'm sure they'll apologise soon enough.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    The family should get them in the justice for moral damage to the Nurse. If possible, of course.

Why?- I find the suicide a rather OTT action after being pranked. Nobody in their right mind would expect that result. But as we live more and more in a TOO PC world the gentlemen will undoubtely get punished for the behaviour of the nurse. As if that would be needed, I am quite sure they do feel horrible as result of a harmless prank.

• SaintMark wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

Why?- I find the suicide a rather OTT action after being pranked. Nobody in their right mind would expect that result. But as we live more and more in a TOO PC world the gentlemen will undoubtely get punished for the behaviour of the nurse. As if that would be needed, I am quite sure they do feel horrible as result of a harmless prank.

This.
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

I'm not sure what political correctness has to do with this?

Very tragic.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 774
    As an Australian, I can very confidently say that the radio station which broadcast the prank is trash. Has been for some time, continues to be. The presenters might not have blood on their hands, but they and the station have to accept a high level of responsibility.

2day FM logic: Gets criticised multiple times for on air content (on air lie detector test where a teenage girl reveals she was raped, slurs about concentration camps, sexist abuse of a female journalist who reviewed a show - and that's just one breakfast broadcaster). Sanctions imposed, the station promises to be more responsible. So they broadcast a prank call targeting an internationally loved pregnant woman that will cause a nurse to later commit suicide. Well done, 2day FM.

The nurses are employed to look after sick people. Kate was in hospital because she was having a tough time while pregnant. While no one could've predicted that the nurse would react like this, the fact that they even tried to harass a sick pregnant woman and her carers is disgraceful.

Very sad news.
  • acoppola wrote:
    Gerard wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

Aparently she was not disciplined according to the media because it was an innocent mistake. But we have to ask why a mother of two children would kill herself over this?

And suicide before even a coroner's report. Something stinks to me anyway.

I do agree those pranksters were irresponsible and it came at a huge price no doubt.

Agreed. The first thing I thought about was poor Princess Diana. Something was fishy about that and this smells much the same.

The worst thing about this whole tragic mess is the way people say "well there was obviously some underlying issue with her mental state". As if to try to absolve the radio station of blame.

Clearly she was mentally unstable at some point. A lot of people are. Perhaps she was suffering from depression at the time - who knows.

But this is precisely why the media should NOT be allowed to ride roughshod into innocent peoples lives, and humiliate them in front of a global audience in orders to boost ratings.

Who do the media think they are. They don't exist to ridicule normal people.

I really feel the radio station should be held accountable for her death, as a husband and her children are going to have a lifetime of suffering because of it.