Favorite and Least Favorite of Q's gadgets

edited August 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 1,778
It's funny. Both come from a Brosnan film, which were byfar my least favorite films in the series.

Favorite- The Laser Watch (Goldeneye, Die Another Day)- I don't know why but to me it's just one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I first saw it in Goldeneye the videogame for N64 and was in awe of its cleverness.

Least Favorite- Winter Jacket Bubble or whatever the hell it is (The World is not Enough)- What a waste of a good gadget. It's sad that that silly looking thing was the last thing Q gave Bond. True it comes in handy but damn it looks stupid. Plus for some reason I never bought it's believabilty. Yes it's a Bond film but how would a jacket fit that thing?

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Favorite: The dart gun watch from MR

Least favorite: The armchip in CR'06(though technically, Q wasn't there. I figure Q-Branch did install that in Bond).
  • The dart gun watch is high on my list too.
    Favorites: The one the only DB5,TD's key ring, The Getto Blaster and the RC Car

Least Favorite: the safe cracker in OHMSS (Me: wait didn't they use one a quarter of the size then that in the last film!)

@PKK The arm band to me is like the BMW in GE NEVER USED!!
  • Favorites: The one the only DB5,TD's key ring, The Getto Blaster and the RC Car

Least Favorite: the safe cracker in OHMSS (Me: wait didn't they use one a quarter of the size then that in the last film!)

@PKK The arm band to me is like the BMW in GE NEVER USED!!
    Yeah and the safecracker in YOTT also took a fraction of the time to get the job done, lol.

BTW what arm band? You mean the chip in CR?
  • do_me_nicelydo_me_nicely Banned
    The armchimp was in genius \:D/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My least favorite has to be the invisible Aston Martin in DAD: excellent car, but it being invisible was way too cheesy for me.

As for my favorite? Probably the grenade pen in GE. The tension leading up to the detonation of it was superb. Bond slaps it away and takes off with Natalya.
    Favourite?

I do have a liking for the crocodile submarine in OP

Least favourite....theres only one.

the invisible car. The gadget that sank a film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 23,524
    FAVOURITE
    • Cars & Vehicles
      1. TND parking lot BMW
      2. AM DB5
      3. TSWLM Lotus
    • Gadgets
      1. GE explosive pen (for it is one of the best used gadgets ever ;;) )
      2. FRWL briefcase
      3. GE multifunctional watch
    LEAST FAVOURITE
    • Cars & Vehicles
      1. OP croc sub
      2. invisible car
      3. Little Nellie
    • Gadgets
      1. explosive toothpaste and such from TLD
      2. lighter / camera with 'OO7' printed on it
      3. AVTAK key card with key
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Favourite: Bond's Walther PPK - Dr. No

Least Favourite: Invisible Aston Martin V12 - Die Another Day
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,778
    I kinda meant your single favorite and least favorite gadget but since people are listing several I will too.

Favorites=
    -Key-ring in TLD- Although it'd only be useful if one could whistle, which I can't.
    -Camera Sniper Rifle/Signature Gun in LTK.- It's pretty believable in comparison to most of Bond's gadgets and extreamly useful for any spy.
    -Attach Case in FRWL- This one's a fan favorite although I know I'd forget to turn the katches if I were Bond, lol.
    -Fake Fingerprints in DAF- So simple yet so ingenuis
    -Magnet Watch in LALD- Im sure alot of people when first watching LALD were wondering how is Bond gonna make use of that. And he does so believably several times in the movie
    -Manta Ray Disguise- Sounds silly but Dalton makes it work.

Least Favorites=
    -Radioactive Lint in OHMSS- Wouldn't putting anything that's radioactive in your pocket be kind of dangerous?
    -Labelmaker tape Watch in TSWLM- Bond's watches always have cool gadgets but this one is not. Im sure MI6 could think of a cooler and more practical way to get in touch with Bond.
    -Snooper from AVTAK- Big, clunky, and impractiacal. Surely someone would notice this thing spying on them.
    @DoubleOhhSeven, that's what I loved about Bond's magnetic watch in LALD: it was used quite a few times, some unsuccessfully, others successful.
  • @DoubleOhhSeven, that's what I loved about Bond's magnetic watch in LALD: it was used quite a few times, some unsuccessfully, others successful.
    There was actually a scene that was storyboarded but never filmed where Bond uses the watch to deflect a henchmen's bullet. I would've liked to have seen that.
  • I think it's always a good thing when a gadget can be used a few times. One of the worst uses of gadgets is when they introduce something with an incredibly specific function which just so happens to be exactly what Bond needs during the climax.
    @DoubleOhhSeven, that's what I loved about Bond's magnetic watch in LALD: it was used quite a few times, some unsuccessfully, others successful.
    There was actually a scene that was storyboarded but never filmed where Bond uses the watch to deflect a henchmen's bullet. I would've liked to have seen that.
    Doesn't M say something about that to him? Says that it can deflect a bullet from long range, and he would love to test that theory. Would have been interesting to see.

I think it's always a good thing when a gadget can be used a few times. One of the worst uses of gadgets is when they introduce something with an incredibly specific function which just so happens to be exactly what Bond needs during the climax.
    Sorry for the double post, but this is EXACTLY why I grew tired of the gadgets. He would be given three or four gadgets that would be the exact things he needed in one specific situation, but never again. Now, improvised gadgets (like my favorite, the grenade pen), can be used anywhere, but things like the ring in DAD just had one purpose that was absolutely specific and necessary to Bond in one scenario.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,778
    Doesn't M say something about that to him? Says that it can deflect a bullet from long range, and he would love to test that theory. Would have been interesting to see.

Exactly. It's forshadowing. Bond says Q claims it can deflect a bullet at a distant range but he's not sure of it. I saw the storyboard. Bond is chasing a villan through an open area and the guy quickly pulls a gun and fires. Bond having to act fast activates his watch and the bullets zings to the side. Now that I think of it I really would've loved it if they filmed that scene.
    I think it's always a good thing when a gadget can be used a few times. One of the worst uses of gadgets is when they introduce something with an incredibly specific function which just so happens to be exactly what Bond needs during the climax.
    I completely agree. They're actually a british stand-up comic who went on in his routine about how Q must have been a phychic because he always knew actually what Bond would need in that respective mission, no matter how improbable it's use would be. I'll try to find it on youtube.

@DoubleOhhSeven, so would I. It's scenes like that in films that aren't fun to watch, because you know they foreshadow something we will never get to see. That, and scenes that explain something that didn't need explaining because the scene in hand was cut from the film.
    Yeah and the safecracker in YOTT also took a fraction of the time to get the job done, lol.
    The OHMSS one also had a photocopier built in though, didn't it?

Favorite: Grenade pen.

Least favorite: The little camera from MR. Sure it's a cool, believable camera, but why in the name of [much profanity] does it have to say "007" on the front?

Favorite: The briefcase in FRWL - probably the most useful of all the gadgets: it really saved Bond's hide

Least Favorite: It's got to be the invisible Aston Martin: ok, so maybe the technology was being developed, but I doubt it would truly be that effective. Completely unbelievable
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Favourite: Lotus Esprit (the white one)
    Least favourite: Crocodile from Octopussy
  • Fav: Is there any doubt the DB5 - the gadgets of all gadgets. A true cinematic and cultural icon. Nothing ever will come close again.

Maybe and I don't know if this counts and it is almost as iconic:

Least: Bleedin' invisible Aston in DAD; YUK.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Favorite : Crocosub in OP... Seeing the Crocosub's head open and Moore's head pops up is just hilarious !
    Least favorite : Printer-safe cracker in OHMSS... It's 20 times slower than the one in YOLT, and also 50 times bigger !!
    DaltonCraig007 said:
    Least favorite : Printer-safe cracker in OHMSS... It's 20 times slower than the one in YOLT, and also 50 times bigger !!

A very valid point! Looks like Lazenby didn't get that safe-cracker from Q!

As for me:
    Favorite- This is a tough call. It would come down to a few: The watch from LALD, the cell phone from TND, and the dart watch from MR

Least Favorite- I'm hopping on the wagon here and saying the invisible Aston Martin from DAD. The new Q really put Major Boothroyd to shame with this one.
    little nellie was my favorite Q toy
    but all the gadgets are put to good use and i think that other then invisible cars all the gadgets have been good and practical and believable they help bond out in so many ways giving us action that can not be possible without them.

but invisible cars come on please!!!!! way too much
  • Favorite Q Gadget-Pen Grenade from Goldeneye
    Least favorite Q Gadget-Pin Safe Cracker from OHMSS
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    edited December 2012 Posts: 403
    Favorites: FRWL briefcase, TLD key ring, laser watch, exploding pen, mini-debreather from TB, jet pack.

Least favourites/hated: Bondola, invisible car, AVTAK's rover.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 202
    Best: The Ghetto Blaster (The Living Daylights) and Q's electromagnetic RPM controller (Diamonds Are Forever)