The Music of James Bond by John Burlingame

ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
edited October 2012 in Music Posts: 4,043
I'm not sure if there was a thread to discuss this book but I only found about it through that Classic FM program with Arnold & Newman with Burlingame via satellite. As soon as I heard them mention he's written a book about the history of Bond music, I knew I needed to check this out.

I tracked it down on Amazon and to my delight it had a bunch of raves, so I decided that I needed to get this book, it just arrived today and seriously can't wait to delve in. The fact that it covers everything from DN up to QOS is just great and getting the inside on the court cases and other stories revolving around the music is going to be just an utter delight.

As someone who has become a little cynical about Bond and find a good number of the entries not to my liking any more, my admiration for the scores (before Arnold) has never wavered. Barry's sound is ingrained on my life like no other music I would say, it's probably the music that has stayed with me for the longest, remembering hearing the soundtracks on vinyl via my Dad's LP collection at 5 years old, a joyous memories of my childhood. Most of my parents music taste was pretty terrible but this one factor I was always grateful to my Dad for introducing to me.

Has anyone else purchased this and what have they thought of it, will report back when I've read it and give my thought although I can see them being most positive on the strength of the likes of John Cork & Graham Rye raving about it.

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Thanks very much an interesting interview, makes me even more looking forward to reading his book.

• I picked up Burlingame's book last week and am currently up to the Thunderball chapter. From what I've read so far I can most definitely recommend it. It has a wealth of research and information fans would likely not find elsewhere. And one of the things I like most is that each chapter has a section in which he analyzes the soundtrack of the film in question, sometimes track by track. It's quite informative.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 57
    Jon is a wonderful writer, and has put together some wonderful articles, and books especially on the Spy genre and TV themes. He was also a great friend of John Barry and what he doesn't know about Bond music in particular you could write on the back of a matchstick!
    He was also the creator, and producer behind not only The Man from U.N.C.L.E. official cds, he was also instrumental in the release of the DVD set.He also talks about various Bond themes in the UK Documentary James Bonds Greatest Hits.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Picked this up on Monday, it's simply sublime.
  • Just about to buy it for kindle!
  • How much actual analysis of the scores/orchestration/themes does it contain? As the history behind who got to write/record for what reason is really of secondary interest to me.
  • DoubleO wrote:
    How much actual analysis of the scores/orchestration/themes does it contain? As the history behind who got to write/record for what reason is really of secondary interest to me.

Quite a lot actually. Each chapter is devoted to a specific film. And within each chapter there is a different section that breaks down the score in chronological form of how it appears in the film. Most of the time he compares where exactly that cue could be found on the respective CD. More often than not he will also go into a more elaborate discussion of what instruments are being used when, and to what effect. He will also include his own opinion here and there. Overall, I found it to be quite informative and detailed. I hope this helps.
  • DoubleO wrote:
    How much actual analysis of the scores/orchestration/themes does it contain? As the history behind who got to write/record for what reason is really of secondary interest to me.

Quite a lot actually. Each chapter is devoted to a specific film. And within each chapter there is a different section that breaks down the score in chronological form of how it appears in the film. Most of the time he compares where exactly that cue could be found on the respective CD. More often than not he will also go into a more elaborate discussion of what instruments are being used when, and to what effect. He will also include his own opinion here and there. Overall, I found it to be quite informative and detailed. I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the info!
  • Jon now has his own Facebook page which is always worth a visit ...^:)^

https://www.facebook.com/jonburlingame.official?fref=nf
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I got the updated version not so long ago. But now I wonder... how long until I will have to buy a third copy? ;-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I got the updated version not so long ago. But now I wonder... how long until I will have to buy a third copy? ;-)

Yes, I got the updated copy too. Have yet to read it in full but it certainly looks very thorough!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Hopefully the updated version including SPECTRE will be out soon.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    It seems it will.
    Jon_Burlingame.jpginvia immagini
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Looks like I may have to buy it for a third time (or not).