Alec Trevelyan V Raoul Silva

2»

Comments

• edited November 2012 Posts: 82
    I think Dominic Greene was quite an ok villain, about on the average. And he played in one of the best Bond movies. Silva is an infantile character and clearly the worst Bond villain ever. With another villain and some changes in the plot Skyfail could have been a good Bond movie.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 803
    Both were excellent Bond opponents, but Silva wins here for me. Not only did I find that villain more interesting to watch, I thought Javier Bardem's performance was the better of the two. Indeed, it would not surprise me in the slightest to see Bardem get a nomination for best supporting actor for that performance.
  • Did he get a nomination??? I think he is among the worst performances as Bond villains. There are so many excellent Bond villains, Jaws, Alec Trevelyan, Mads Mikkelsens Le Chiffre just to mention a few. I found the villain to be the weakest part of the film, mainly because of the character he is playing. And Bardems acting was not very convincing either. The film does have some qualities, but I do not think the villain was one of them.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Trevelyan wins physically, but Silva wins mentally.

Overall, though, Trevelyan is my favorite Bond villain.
  • Did he get a nomination??? I think he is among the worst performances as Bond villains. There are so many excellent Bond villains, Jaws, Alec Trevelyan, Mads Mikkelsens Le Chiffre just to mention a few. I found the villain to be the weakest part of the film, mainly because of the character he is playing. And Bardems acting was not very convincing either. The film does have some qualities, but I do not think the villain was one of them.

Opinions vary.

• 006 would take this one. Alec Trevelyan is a 00. So he has traing in hand to hand combat.
  • I'm going to shock and horrify everyone here, but I'm not the biggest fan of Alec. I mean, he's definitely a good villain (He's actually number 13 on my list of the villains), but I just wasn't the biggest fan of him. I'm usually not the biggest fan of the physical villain, and Alec is no exception. I honestly can't explain my reasoning, but Silva's just more my kind of villain (He's number 3 on my list). So yeah.
  • actonsteve wrote:
    Silva would chew him up and spit him out.

Basically.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I liked Silva better overall but in a straight up fight Trevelayn would win.

Silva said he worked at station H, so not a double 0. Although he showed in the finale he could shoot and he did take out the guards when he escaped, I'm also guessing his job mainly involved computers since he was the expert hacker.

Trevelayn was a double 0, so he basically would've been given missions like Bond gets. Whenever Bond is sent on a mission pre GE, most of the time MI6 could've sent Trevelayn if Bond hadn't been around, the 00s get given the most dangerous missions.

So while Bond was off on a mission during the films pre GE, Trevelayn was probably off doing something similar. GF shows this when Bond almost gets replaced by 008, he's not the only one, the others are just as well trained as he is.

During the cold war while Silva sat at his computer Trevelayn would've been storming Russian bases like in the GE PTS.

So although I think Silva is a better villian, Trevelayn wins in a fight.
    I like Sean Bean, but Silva is the best villain. His organisation is stronger and he is a more serious menace, being able to create havoc by a mere click of the mouse. That said, in a hand to hand combat, Trevelyan would win fairly. Silva is no 00.

Silva is nothing more than a rehash of both Alec Trevelyan and the Joker to me. As a villain, I did not find him very original. I don't care which villain was more intelligent. I prefer Trevelyan because I found him more original as a character.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I love Sean Bean in many things (especially, yes, Sharpe). But in a contest of the two, I think Silva would win. Sicker, craftier, even more driven I think. But 006 was a good villain, too.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    006 was a better villain. I agree with @stuffmyorders.

But Trevelyan is better because he is classier and is an own 007 villain. Trevelyan had more skills but Silva was more insane and cleverer.
    I guess most of you would agree with me at comparing Silva with Joker's Dark Knight. It lacked of originality. The villain's scheme was quite a copy/paste of Heath Ledger's interpretation. Too much of Batman in Skyfall, IMO.
    006 was a better villain. I agree with @stuffmyorders.

But Trevelyan is better because he is classier and is an own 007 villain. Trevelyan had more skills but Silva was more insane and cleverer.
    I guess most of you would agree with me at comparing Silva with Joker's Dark Knight. It lacked of originality. The villain's scheme was quite a copy/paste of Heath Ledger's interpretation. Too much of Batman in Skyfall, IMO.

Well, I respectfully disagree with your interpretation of Silva being compared to the Joker in TDK. I don't think "most" of us would think that (longtime Bond fans especially). Silva did not lack for originality. Bardem was solid and creative and his role is very memorable without comparing it to other films' characters. I don't see the Batman influence in Skyfall, no. I love Skyfall as a Bond film - I think it is fresh and so well done. Instances of other films influence or copying from them (Batman, Bourne, whatever) are not apparent to me.
  • I don't get the Joker comparisons. Joker was an insane criminal clown, not a camp, flamboyant, OTT but brilliant and menacing former MI6 agent.

I'd take Silva over Joker anyday. I don't think Joker in TDK was all that special to be honest, he was a great villian, but I don't think he'd have the legendary status he has now if Heath Ledger hadn't died.

Anyway, I stand by what I said earlier: I think Silva is a better more entertaining villian overall, and is probably smarter, but in a fight, Trevelayn would kick his arse.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Here's what I think would happen. I advise the reader, much like watching Sir Roger and Grace Jones in bed, has not eaten for at least an hour before reading.

After a stirring battle lasting roughly 30 seconds, Trevalyan with his superior physicality and double 0 training would wind up on top of the prone Silva. But as Silva is the better thinker and not above some shock value, he'd pull out his teeth and ask Alec for a big, sloppy wet one. His training not preparing him for this sort of tactic, Trevalyan spurts a curious mixture of strawberries and beer and in a rock star moment from the 1960's, Silva chokes to death.

Eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww, yuk!
  • In a fight, Alec no doubt. Was Silva even a proper field agent with a Spec Ops military background? He didn't seem like the type. Alec on the other hand certainly seemed like a former SAS/SBS type.
  • MrSenor wrote:
    In a fight, Alec no doubt. Was Silva even a proper field agent with a Spec Ops military background? He didn't seem like the type. Alec on the other hand certainly seemed like a former SAS/SBS type.

Silva worked at station H and I'm guessing his job was to do with computers. So not a double 0 and not an ex special ops soldier.
    MrSenor wrote:
    In a fight, Alec no doubt. Was Silva even a proper field agent with a Spec Ops military background? He didn't seem like the type. Alec on the other hand certainly seemed like a former SAS/SBS type.

Silva worked at station H and I'm guessing his job was to do with computers. So not a double 0 and not an ex special ops soldier.

Yeah. he must have had some basic combat training, but basic stuff. This is why a fist fight between him and Bond never happened, I think.

I don't get the Joker comparisons. Joker was an insane criminal clown, not a camp, flamboyant, OTT but brilliant and menacing former MI6 agent.

I'd take Silva over Joker anyday.

I'd take the Joker . . . at least Heath Ledger's Joker, who managed to be over-the-top, yet at the same time, more subtle than Silva. And yes, Silva is still nothing more than a re-hash of the Joker to me . . . with some Alec Trevelyan tossed in for good measure.
    DRush76 wrote:

I don't get the Joker comparisons. Joker was an insane criminal clown, not a camp, flamboyant, OTT but brilliant and menacing former MI6 agent.

I'd take Silva over Joker anyday.

I'd take the Joker . . . at least Heath Ledger's Joker, who managed to be over-the-top, yet at the same time, more subtle than Silva. And yes, Silva is still nothing more than a re-hash of the Joker to me . . . with some Alec Trevelyan tossed in for good measure.

Silva shares something with Trevelyan: he might have been based on the novel MR's Drax. Otherwise, they are very different. I did see a link between the Joker and Silva, however I don't think it was a conscious choice.
  • after having read this debate 3 years later, i noticed many compare the acting abilities to the actually villainy of the two villains. is the acting ability in question or is the villainy in question? acting is bardem, villainy i would have to say trevelyan. why trevelyan? granted, he's not as "smart" as silva, but it doesn't take a cybergenius to win the day. in the end, trevelyan almost dominated the world while silva's villainy ended with the death of one old lady. yes, both would have done a great deal of damage if Bond didn't kill them... but in the game of world domination, trevelyan had much bigger plans. silva is creepy, but trevelyan is insane.