Cut the budgets for the Bond movies IN HALF!!! (?)

2»

Comments

• ColonelSun wrote:
    craigrules wrote:
    SF did not look money well spent to me

Who's your ocularist?

well i saw Prothemeus and Snow white and the huntsman this year and both had smaller budgets than SF and IMO looked a lot bigger and better sorry but there it is.
  • It's a difficult topic!

On one hand, less money surely forces them a bit to get more creative or let's say, find more subtile ways.
    On the other hand, a bigger budget also means artistic freedom.
    And let's not forget, the money is not only spent on explosions and action, it takes an awful lot for good actors, locations, costumes etc.

I don't think cutting back is the way to go. What I also don't want however, is when they have a good story and then go like: "Oh hell, let's put a big car chase in there somewhere! Hell we have the money! *maniacal laughter*" (scene might be exaggerated ;-)

They just should right a good script and then use the budget it takes to realise that good script.

But imo, the discussion came a bit too late. One thing I love about Skyfall is, that the action is scaled down, thrilling and personal. There is no real one army scene with Bond against thousand goons or overblown action-pieces.
    So I don't see them, in Skyfall, trying so hard to appeal to the big-CGI-action-wanting crowd.... and I would use that term very losely when you look at the big success Skyfall has!

craigrules wrote:
    ColonelSun wrote:
    craigrules wrote:

Who's your ocularist?

well i saw Prothemeus and Snow white and the huntsman this year and both had smaller budgets than SF and IMO looked a lot bigger and better sorry but there it is.

Hmm, not sure you are right about the budget levels. Prometheus cost a fortune (I know people who worked on it and voiced about how much money was being spent on an unfinished screenplay), but it's very hard to ever really know what a true budget is for a studio picture. The studios are very canny when it comes to revealing the true budget levels.

I've also seen the other two films, and apart from the fact that both are inferior films to Skyfall - Prometheus is a mess of a story and a massive disappointment, as is Snow White and the Huntsman - the only thing they both really have going for them is great production design and production value, but Skyfall has that in spades too.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Man, a Bond film being called uglier than a Kristin Stewart film. Now THAT is an insult if I ever heard one.
    I don't mind a low budget 007 or Batman , as long as the script is good.......LALD and TMWTGG were low budget but the scripts weren't all that imo.
  • with the success of SF I am pretty sure that Bond24 will not have a smaller budget but probably an even bigger one...
  • ColonelSun wrote:
    craigrules wrote:
    ColonelSun wrote:
    craigrules wrote:

Who's your ocularist?

Hmm, not sure you are right about the budget levels. Prometheus cost a fortune (I know people who worked on it and voiced about how much money was being spent on an unfinished screenplay), but it's very hard to ever really know what a true budget is for a studio picture. The studios are very canny when it comes to revealing the true budget levels.

I've also seen the other two films, and apart from the fact that both are inferior films to Skyfall - Prometheus is a mess of a story and a massive disappointment, as is Snow White and the Huntsman - the only thing they both really have going for them is great production design and production value, but Skyfall has that in spades too.

Thank you for a polite comment you are putting my point over better that sometimes the money in released budget estimates is not always the ammount up there on the screen.
    I still think that a big budget does not make a better movie, that all depends on the story and the skills of the director and his vision. Hence a cheaper made movie can look flipping brilliant while a big budget movie like QoB does by no means look like its budget.
    If they cut the 007 budget and make a great movie so be it, but the financial succes of SF will undoubtely not mean a lower budget.