Silva's Island

oo7oo7
edited November 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 1,068

Comments

• It's quite sad cos that could be a really beautiful place with a community.
  • oo7oo7
    I think its quite sad that so little of the island was used at the end of the day.
  • DRESSED_TO_KILLDRESSED_TO_KILL Suspended
    I thought the island was highly unnecessary and seemed quite outlandish. Seriously couldn't they have made it realistic where Silva was living out of a crappy depressing motel in the middle of nowhere in Europe. Seriously a private island lol? im sorry but in this day and age you cannot even rob a bank without having a gang of cops on your ass let alone escaping to your own private island. Were the writers on LSD while writing this thrash?
    Were the writers on LSD while writing this thrash?

This line could be re-written to be more polite. We get it, you didn't like it. But you don't have to go that far.

Silva could easily have just taken a boat out there and set up in one of the buildings. It's not like he bought the thing. It's a little island in the middle of the ocean. Nobody hardly goes there because there is no purpose. The perfect place to get away I'd think.

The island is truly beautiful, and has potential to be a great community. Shame they didn't use so much in the film.

• I thought the island was highly unnecessary and seemed quite outlandish. Seriously couldn't they have made it realistic where Silva was living out of a crappy depressing motel in the middle of nowhere in Europe. Seriously a private island lol? im sorry but in this day and age you cannot even rob a bank without having a gang of cops on your ass let alone escaping to your own private island. Were the writers on LSD while writing this thrash?

With all due respect I tend to disagree. While it does come across as farfetched Silva owning an island through sheer manipulation I think is a testament and an example of how technology can be used very efficiently and effectively in todays world. After all todays world is essentially powered by computers and I think that whole concept was the screenwriters way of portrating that.

• I thought the island was highly unnecessary and seemed quite outlandish. Seriously couldn't they have made it realistic where Silva was living out of a crappy depressing motel in the middle of nowhere in Europe. Seriously a private island lol? im sorry but in this day and age you cannot even rob a bank without having a gang of cops on your ass let alone escaping to your own private island. Were the writers on LSD while writing this thrash?

With all due respect I tend to disagree. While it does come across as farfetched Silva owning an island through sheer manipulation I think is a testament and an example of how technology can be used very efficiently and effectively in todays world. After all todays world is essentially powered by computers and I think that whole concept was the screenwriters way of portrating that.

It could be a subtle nod to DN as well. I liked the "private island" idea and how it showed that Silva could plant information to cause people to act a certain way (setting up future plot developments).

The funny thing is that my girlfriend recognized the island right away (she's half Japanese) and mentioned afterwards that there are several abandoned islands in the region...squatters taking them over doesn't seem too far fetched, especially if you create data that, say, poison gas keeps seeping out of the rocks making them uninhabitable.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wasn't it stated in the film that Silva faked a nuclear meltdown on the island, causing the population to evacuate immediately? I don't see what's implausible about Silva living amongst the people, and then wanting it for himself, using his computer setup to run them off and keep the entirety of it for himself and his henchmen.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I thought the island was highly unnecessary and seemed quite outlandish. Seriously couldn't they have made it realistic where Silva was living out of a crappy depressing motel in the middle of nowhere in Europe. Seriously a private island lol? im sorry but in this day and age you cannot even rob a bank without having a gang of cops on your ass let alone escaping to your own private island. Were the writers on LSD while writing this thrash?
    Oh please, it is James Bond. The villains' lairs have had a reputation for being outlandish and it just so happens that Silva's HQ is quite genius. He's in the middle of nowhere, which is a perfect location to conduct his dirty work. Having him sit in the middle of a 'depressing motel' would prove for a painfully unmemorable and visually boring scene.

With your way of thinking, nearly every villain's lair in the series was highly unnecessary.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @SJK91, I would think that, in terms of plausibility, an abandoned island would be one of the most plausible lairs out of a good portion of the villains. Atlantis? A space station? A volcano?
    At least it is based on a REAL location. The abandon Islands in the sea of Japan unlike some of the lairs of previous villains. Personally, I would love for Ken Adam to come back and give us an outlandish lair.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @SJK91, I would think that, in terms of plausibility, an abandoned island would be one of the most plausible lairs out of a good portion of the villains. Atlantis? A space station? A volcano?
    Absolutely agree. I loved Silva's lair in Skyfall but I've also enjoyed the crazier lairs like the Blofeld's volcano and Atlantis. @DRESSED_TO_KILL is just hating to hate, however. I was attempting to make a point there.
    Shame they could not have incorporated the "Garden of Death" into it!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Wasn't it stated in the film that Silva faked a nuclear meltdown on the island, causing the population to evacuate immediately? I don't see what's implausible about Silva living amongst the people, and then wanting it for himself, using his computer setup to run them off and keep the entirety of it for himself and his henchmen.

Yes, it was. Now, my question was "Wouldn't they come back after realizing they'd be duped? Apparently they never realized it.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 2,782
    The Island being deserted is based on fact.

Interpol are trying to find east-european human traffickers, its surfaced that they might be in the place that they wouldn't dare to check.

How funny is that?

And it wasn't a nuclear meltdown, it was a chemical airborne threat wasn't it duh? That's why they didn't go back you dummies, thickies; so called Bond fans can't even grasp the most simple plot line duh. Go watch a vampire girlie film instead you dope heads. Really pay attention or stick to your playstations or xboxes or your wiis. Bunch of airheads with no grasp of reality or current events. Just get a life and leave the box of tissues or socks alone, give your hand a day off and read or watch the news.

The island is only used to remind fans of the old days of Bond if you look back over the old films then most of the old villains had a base like Silva's island. So I think what they are trying to say is even though Bond is changing then the elements will still stay the same you will still have the same Bond just re vamped for a modern day.
  • Were the writers on LSD while writing this thrash?

But Spectre managing to get the builders in and develop a fully functional headquarters in a fully functional volcano without the Japanesse secret service noticing is fine??