What is your least favourite Connery 007 flick ?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Quoting RogueThunderball: Explain to me how in the world you can put DAF ahead of YOLT, TB, GF, and DN.
    Here's a clue - I rank MR at #4, and TMWTGG at #1 ;-)
  • Ok, understood!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    No seriously @RogueThunderball, I find DAF to be an amazing piece of entertainement. Whenever I watch it, I just have a huge thrill ride. I find the movie hilarious, and time just flies by when you laugh your way through your viewing. The key is to bring some friends, a couple of drinks and some popcorn, and really it's a golden 2 hours of fun.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 19,339
    Yes RT you have to get used to DC007's list and quirks - mind you i have TLD at #21 so i'm as bad.(Mind you i also have DAF at #22 rock bottom.)
    edited March 2011 Posts: 15,690
    @barryt007 - I enjoy reading your posts, no matter how you rank the films. ;;)
  • To each his own! :)
    Thanks DC - much appreciated matey !!
  • NSNA... or officially: YOLT. Still love the film though.
    I'll explain it simply: Diamonds are Forever is one of the most entertaining Bond films of the series. The direction is tight and whimsical, the writing--specifically the dialogue is uncanny, and the acting is so enthusiastic by all. I would argue this is one of Connery's most relaxed and capricious performances as 007, and I mean that in a good way. He's not bored and going through the motions as he is in YOLT or even dare I say...Thunberball. Dr. No, is too dry and mundane at times, especially early on in the film--probably due to the low budget early 60's production values and the lack of music in a lot of scenes.
    I always found DAF rather tedious to be honest. There are a few funny lines ("I didn't know there was a pool down there") but on a whole the film just feels a bit...lackluster. Wint and Kidd are ok but the film doesn't have any particularly standout moments. Any scenes that look like they might be good are often ruined by a rather cheap pay-off.

The film also has a certain "tackiness" to it (also in the next two films) which just doen's really feel right IMO.

As for Connery...well, he's alright but he seems to have aged significantly (even since YOLT) as well as gained weight.

So yeah, DAF is overrated by fans if you ask me.
  • Quoting BAIN123: The film also has a certain "tackiness" to it (also in the next two films) which just doen's really feel right IMO.
    I agree completely. DAF just feels "cheap" to me. There are one or two good moments but overall the film feels very poorly made. It's the one Bond film I just can't stand at all.
    Quoting BAIN123: DAF is overrated by fans if you ask me.
    Que? :-? If anything, DAF has much more detractors than fans.
    Yep, DAF takes this easily. At least YOLT had a good finale and a great Blofeld.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 2,491
    lol i didnt saw this comment but anyway i commented down there too :(
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 23,553
    I like Connery the least in YOLT. Even NSNA makes me enjoy the man more. I can't help thinking that in YOLT Connery is bored or simply annoyed. Also, it doesn't help that they selected some terrible medium and close-up shots from the man, as if they had lost several reels of film and started picking shots from rehearsals.

YOLT also has the weakest plot of the Connerys IMO. While PD and music are top of the bill, there's a lot that destroys the fun for me. Even though NSNA was the product of an irrational hatred from a man who spent the second half of his life trying to destroy our beloved franchise, it still entertains me slightly more than YOLT does.
  • You Only Live Twice is the weakest Connery for me.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Added poll.
    Goldfinger for sure! After the events at the Miami beach hotel, everything slows down, and fails to pick up again until the events at Goldfinger's Switzerland factory. After this, it becomes boring again, this time failing to pick up until Goldfinger explains his big plan to the gangsters. After another roadblock, we finally come to the highlight of the movie, the Fort Knox raid. That might as well be the end of the movie after the bomb is defused, and Goldfinger has escaped, because the ending is absolutely horrendous!
    hm how i never commented here
    honestly this one is easy NSNA is worst Connery adventure as 007.he barerly did bad 007 movie but this one was his one and only bad flick
    DAF, he shouldn't have come back, not even for the money. It was a really poor sequel to OHMSS.
  • DAF.

When I was a kid I loved DAF, possibly because it was the second Bond film I saw at age 11 (the second half of a double feature on TV, the first part being GF). Oddly enough, it was probably the Connery film I saw least (along with DN) as our local station didn't really play it often, although they played GF, FRWL, TB, YOLT and OHMSS several times..

When I was in my early 20s I decided to rewatch all of the Bond films. I had only ever seen one Moore film (OP) as I could never get through one on TV as a kid - they were just too silly and immature for me. But, I thought that I would give them the chance.

Anyway, that was the plan. After I finished watching DAF I actually felt depressed. Where was the great Bond film from my youth? Instead, I got an extremely silly, cheesy, tacky film starring Sean Connery's dad. If this was any indication of what lay ahead then I wanted no part of it. So I stopped with DAF and never made it to LALD.
    thelordflasheart said:
    So I stopped with DAF and never made it to LALD.

Personally, I find DAF and LALD to be two of the best in the series! LALD is #2 and DAF is #3 on my list! I could definately see your meaning behind the whole silliness of them, but, I don't know, I guess I just overlook it.
    DAF......it`s hard to believe Connery came back for this. Not only does he come across as bored, but the film itself is a real stinker. I can hardly watch it these days....
    On the plus side, it has a real gem of a title song!
    Yolt the undercover Japanese bond is just bad (really they couldn't think of a better way to hide Connery's balding head).
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Thunderball

6. Thunderball (22/22)
    5. Goldfinger (19/22)
    4. Dr No (17/22)
    3. You Only Live Twice (16/22)
    2. Diamonds Are Forever (12/22)
    1. From Russia With Love (8/22)
  • DAF is Connery's worst.
    It's an easy to watch film on a Sunday afternoon, but lacks punch. You can tell that Connery just isn't interested and the story and effects are a mess. I think it feels even more of a let down after the amazing OHMSS. It's redeeming feature comes from the ever amazing Barry and her highness, Dame Shirley.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Quoting BAIN123: The film also has a certain "tackiness" to it (also in the next two films) which just doen's really feel right IMO.
    I agree completely. DAF just feels "cheap" to me. There are one or two good moments but overall the film feels very poorly made.
    Me too. The action scenes are particularly weak, much more spectacle than genuine excitement, me thinks. AND it introduced the "comdey sheriff" to the world of Bond.
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,690
    DN. Sorry, had to be said...

But this thread is heartbreaking - so much hate for YOLT and DAF :-(
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I dont hate either of those films. I just prefer the rest! :)
    I'd rank them like this:
    (1) Diamonds Are Forever
    (2) From Russia with Love
    (3) Thunderball
    (4) You Only Live Twice
    (5) Dr. No
    (6) Goldfinger

Numbers 1 and 2 could be switched back and forth, but will still be the top 2